Sign in to follow this  
hunterblue

Dv 2013

CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT HOW MUCH CAN RENT COST IN NEW YORK CITY AM A DV LOTTERY WINNER AND WE ARE PLANNING ON MOVING OVER ONCE EVERYTHING IN FINALIZE ..

New York is huge - if you're talking Manhattan it will be very, very expensive...... everything is expensive in NYC. I suggest you Google for rentals in NYC to find the price for the area you're after.

We lived in NY back in 2006/7 and lived on Rooseveldt Island. It is in the East River between Manhattan and Queens, the Queensboro Bridge runs across it. You can only access it by car from Queens but there is a Tram/Cable Car from Manhattan (you will find some of the best view at night time from the tram when you cross the river) and the F-line stops at Rooseveldt Island.

The advantage of living on the island was that it was still "part" of Manhattan but it got nice and quiet late night and weekends. The rent is still slightly high but still a lot less than Manhattan self. There is a postoffice and Grocery store across the road from where we lived also lots of sport parks on the island for those with an active lifestyle with a nice walk way around the island.

You can Google the Island, it's got some interesting history to it.

Anyway, have a look at this website, I can really recommend these apartments. They have onsight laundry and a 24hr Concierge that comes in handy when you need stuff delivered or arrange transport to the airport or somewhere. They also have 24hr maintenance crew available and they were very reliable when we lived there.

http://www.manhattan.../availabilities

The Queens part across the river is the Greek area called Astoria, you will find some interesting shops in the area with very good restaurants, that is if you like Greek food.

Edited by C185

New York is huge - if you're talking Manhattan it will be very, very expensive...... everything is expensive in NYC. I suggest you Google for rentals in NYC to find the price for the area you're after.

This. If you don't know much about the areas, suggest you do some research! In general, you'll trade off rentals for commute. There are some decent areas in Queens and Brooklyn which will be significantly cheaper than Manhattan, but you may be looking at a 30-45 minute commute (which is considered quite good by NYC standards by the way). You may also want to consider the other side of the river in New Jersey.

We lived in NY back in 2006/7 and lived on Rooseveldt Island. ...

Or this. Some people find it very convenient but others don't like the fact that you can't take a car directly into Manhattan.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT HOW MUCH CAN RENT COST IN NEW YORK CITY AM A DV LOTTERY WINNER AND WE ARE PLANNING ON MOVING OVER ONCE EVERYTHING IN FINALIZE ..

Hi

Quick tip, all CAPS is like screaming :) You must be very excited. We are also planning on moving to NEW YORK CITY!! It is quite expensive however it's kind of like JHB, more expensive but higher salaries. Also there was an article that my husband found, i think it was on USA today, about where people have the most success, NYC was in the top five if I can remember correctly.

I terms of accomdation, I found this website to be extremely usefull, www.padmapper.com this takes all the listings and puts them into one site.

We can chat some more and maybe soon we will both be in NYC and we can have some SA company!

GOOD LUCK!!

Right - been busy so taken a while (and no great rush with a high-ish number I suppose), but the forms are all filled in, photos attached and ready to be dropped at DHL tomorrow.... and then the looooooooong wait for the monthly visa bulletins for next fiscal year starts! Judging by past years we will probably only become current around June...

We just found an apartment - 2 bedrooms - in Kew Gardens - 20 minutes from Manhattan for $1,450.00. Most 2 bedrooms range from this level, depending on the area to far above $4000 in Manhattan for the same privilege. I like this area in Queens because it feels like an English village and not just city blocks. If you want SA style housing, you will have to move out from the city into the suburbs of Long Island, Westchester or New Jersey. It makes for long commutes but gives you more space. I would just have a look at Craigs List for an indication and you will be far more in the know. Also, it is probably a better idea to use a broker since they will help you get an apartment despite no credit history. Hope this helps.

We just found an apartment - 2 bedrooms - in Kew Gardens - 20 minutes from Manhattan for $1,450.00. Most 2 bedrooms range from this level, depending on the area to far above $4000 in Manhattan for the same privilege. I like this area in Queens because it feels like an English village and not just city blocks. If you want SA style housing, you will have to move out from the city into the suburbs of Long Island, Westchester or New Jersey. It makes for long commutes but gives you more space. I would just have a look at Craigs List for an indication and you will be far more in the know. Also, it is probably a better idea to use a broker since they will help you get an apartment despite no credit history. Hope this helps.

Nice and close to JFK, enjoy your new apartment. We used to live on Roosevelt Island and loved it over there.

Nice and close to JFK, enjoy your new apartment. We used to live on Roosevelt Island and loved it over there.

Thank you. I think I am going to love it. Where do you live now?

Thank you. I think I am going to love it. Where do you live now?

Nashville, TN - We moved down here about 5 years ago.