Sign in to follow this  
mleg

New Start

Good Afternoon,

So my wife and I won the green card and now we going through the application process. Our Interview has been set for mid August and if we get it, we going!!!

I have a Bcom: Financial management through UNISA and when we go to USA I will want to try and enter this field, because of the past I could not really persue my field and had to working.

My question is:

Should I wait and study honours in the USA or should I register for UNISA again and hopefull once I'm over there, try and get in to a firm as an intern and slowly build my way up and hopefully they will support me and help pay for studying CFA.

Thanks

Hi,

The US has a different university system - they do not do a 3-year Bachelors and Honours, but a 4-year Bachelors (i.e. you can't do honours there because they just don't have it in their system). So if possible I would suggest doing your honours here/through Unisa as you then have the equivalent of a 4-year Bachelors in their eyes, which would put you in better stead when it comes to jobs etc. CFA is definitely a good idea. Good luck!

Edited by SJ27

Your 3 year UNISA degree will be sufficient to land you a job in the USA, any other experience will be a plus. The "schooling" system here works on a credit system, meaning you have so much credits after so many hours of school. They refer college/university to "school". In order to do a qualification exam, CPA was the case for my wife, she had to get more credits since SA Degree's are only 3 years instead of the 4 here in the US of A. So all you have to do is to run some 1 year program to "earn" those credits necessary to qualify. You can always enroll for you Masters Degree over here, that will bring your credits up and you can do your qualification. Just be prepared to pay a lot of money to complete a Masters Degree. One of the ladies reporting to my wife did her Masters through a private but well renowned university and it set her back $50k. I think State Universities are less expensive, I do not know to much about that though.

My wife ended up not doing anything further as her current qualification is sufficient for further career growth. She does however want to do it sometime in the future for herself.

The point I am trying to make is that it is not necessary for you to start as an intern, you should find something better, depending on your current career level and qualifications. Just do your homework to as where there are jobs available as that is the biggest problem currently. There are jobs available, just not a lot.

Try www.monster.com and www.careerbuilder.com for research.

Good luck with your interview and your adventure that lies ahead.

Your 3 year UNISA degree will be sufficient to land you a job in the USA, any other experience will be a plus. The "schooling" system here works on a credit system, meaning you have so much credits after so many hours of school. They refer college/university to "school". In order to do a qualification exam, CPA was the case for my wife, she had to get more credits since SA Degree's are only 3 years instead of the 4 here in the US of A. So all you have to do is to run some 1 year program to "earn" those credits necessary to qualify. You can always enroll for you Masters Degree over here, that will bring your credits up and you can do your qualification. Just be prepared to pay a lot of money to complete a Masters Degree. One of the ladies reporting to my wife did her Masters through a private but well renowned university and it set her back $50k. I think State Universities are less expensive, I do not know to much about that though.

Hm, I would be very surprised if any reputable university would accept a 3-year degree as sufficient for a master's degree. I looked into doing a masters in the US a while ago (didn't because of the cost!) and all the universities I looked at definitely required an honours from SA students. See also this thread: http://www.sausa.org...0651#entry60651

It may well be possible to earn the extra credits through doing undergraduate courses, I'm not sure about that. In any case if you are suggesting this for CFA, that won't be necessary - SA and any 3-year bachelor's degree (Australia, India etc) are all acceptable for the CFA charter, which is an international qualification.

Edited by SJ27

Ok So I have a daughter in an Afrikaans school in grade 9. If nothing unforeseen happens and we get our Greencards in June, we wil be relocating to the US early next year.

What do I do with this child of mine? Home school? Intl school? Do I try to register her in a home school program now?

1368449620[/url]' post='62291']

Ok So I have a daughter in an Afrikaans school in grade 9. If nothing unforeseen happens and we get our Greencards in June, we wil be relocating to the US early next year.

What do I do with this child of mine? Home school? Intl school? Do I try to register her in a home school program now?

I'm a bit confused - why don't you want her to go from a normal school here to a normal school there?

Btw, I don't think taking her out of her current school now is a good thing. She will be disrupted going there as it is, to make two big disruptions to her in the space of less than a year doesn't seem right to me - just my opinion.

I'm a bit confused - why don't you want her to go from a normal school here to a normal school there?

Btw, I don't think taking her out of her current school now is a good thing. She will be disrupted going there as it is, to make two big disruptions to her in the space of less than a year doesn't seem right to me - just my opinion.

My concern is that with certain subjects like maths it might be easier to do the transition into english here in SA whilst there are some teachers that can help with the translation. Once we are in an American school we will not have that luxury. Most learning subjects are easy to translate but not the science and maths terminology.

1368507221[/url]' post='62304']

My concern is that with certain subjects like maths it might be easier to do the transition into english here in SA whilst there are some teachers that can help with the translation. Once we are in an American school we will not have that luxury. Most learning subjects are easy to translate but not the science and maths terminology.

Ah - ok, I see where you're coming from. Might an option not be for her to do something like Kumon or mastermaths/masterscience (if these latter still exist?!) - English classes obviously! - as extramural options to ease that transition? She can probably start those immediately.

Edited by SJ27

She may struggle a bit initially, but you will be surprised at how easily the kids will fit in and pick up an American accent.

This is a fabulous free site for maths and science that is very useful! Maths and Science

Bev