Sign in to follow this  
RubyShoes

Denver Weather

Hi all Denverites

Denver looks like such a beautiful city with the Rockies as a back drop but really will a family from humid, hot Durban survive the cold temps there? Any advice on the weather would be appreciated.

I know nothing about Colorado, but allow me to share my experience in Oregon.

As a Capetonian I've always found the Durban weather to be too humid, too stifling and too hot, and I know that Durbanites shiver with cold when they just read about Cape Town.

We arrived in Portland (Oregon) on the 20th of September - the start of the fall (autumn). The weather was lovely for about three weeks and then the cold slowly started to creep in. This was according to us, but the locals walked around in shorts and t-shirts, while we pulled out our sweaters (jerseys). We also heard that Portland had "mild winters" and we concluded that the local populace were delusional, deranged and a few fries short of a Happy Meal because we thought completely otherwise.

We were cold that first winter, very cold!

Fortunately though, everything here is geared towards fending off the cold. Decent shoes and clothing and central heating is (usually) a standard in all dwellings.

And when it came to our second winter we agreed with everybody else: The winters in Portland are really not that bad!

We simply needed to acclimatize.

Thus, you might find your first year in Denver to be quite taxing, but you will get used to it.

Thanks for giving me your insights! I also battle with the humid Summers here in Durbs but I am not sure the men if my life will enjoy the cold they prefer the heat. Us Durbanites don't actually even know what cold is! I keep on hearing that Denver has a nice climate and mild winters but like you say what is mild to them is arctic temps to us smile.gif

Everything indoors is heated, moving between car and shops/workplace is the only time it affects you, so you dress accordingly. I wouldn't worry about it as everything is so new and way bigger than SA that you don't really get time to think of it.

I live in Knoxville Tennessee where it is not nearly as cold as Denver.

There is central heating or air conditioning in all buildings and some cars even have heated seats.

We find that a long sleeved top and pants with socks (few people wear shoes in the house here) is fine indoors for winter. It depends how warm you set your central heating. You can make it warm enough to wear short sleeves if you want to but it will affect your running costs.

We just add a good thick anorak with gloves and scarf when we go outdoors.

We always take a jacket with us so that if it does turn chilly we are ready. The wind can change and be icy very quickly. I have also found that some restaurants can be nippy even in the middle of summer if you sit in the right place under the air conditioner! :P

You do certainly learn to dress for the weather where ever you live.

Bev

I was having a moment of indecision and I am now back to looking at Charlotte NC. I am looking at the same area that you are in at the moment gmdbn as that is where there are highly rated schools. Keep us updated on the forum as to how it is going!

I found these 2 sites for you. They were very useful when we were looking around here.

Charlotte NC

NC Property

I found these 2 sites for you. They were very useful when we were looking around here.

Charlotte NC

NC Property

I just love the way people like you step in and help/advise others on this site - makes us all such a virtual 'community' even though almost all of us will never meet anyone else on this board! Sure, there are some who bombard with questions but don't share their own learnings - but the majority give so much back on this board.....not just you treverly, but you are one!

• Like 1

I was having a moment of indecision and I am now back to looking at Charlotte NC. I am looking at the same area that you are in at the moment gmdbn as that is where there are highly rated schools. Keep us updated on the forum as to how it is going!

Indecision is normal, we left Durban 2 weeks ago with every intention of settling in the Matthews area but a job opportunity came up on the other side of town that worked for us, so Huntersville is where we are at. Happy to help if you have any questions.

I just love the way people like you step in and help/advise others on this site - makes us all such a virtual 'community' even though almost all of us will never meet anyone else on this board! Sure, there are some who bombard with questions but don't share their own learnings - but the majority give so much back on this board.....not just you treverly, but you are one!

I agree Malamute, and if I may say so, you also deserve a lot of credit.

You always come to the fore to answer those "tricky" DV Lottery and other immigration questions.

Congratulations on the job opportunity gmdbn - much better to live close to where you work if you can help it.

I also agree about the friendly people on this forum - you have helped many people.

Hi RubyShoes

I've just read this after I sent you an email (which pretty much repeats a lot of what everyone has said lol). Denver is cold in winter and by mild I'm sure they're referring to the sun that always shines come summer and winter. But as was mention these places are so geared for it one hardly feels the cold. Attached garage with a car that starts up with a flick of a switch and warms up to your set temperatures and honestly the cold becomes a non factor.

I never realised you are from Durban so the big difference you'll feel is the dryness here...it's dry even for a Joburger like me! lol