Sign in to follow this  
Saun07

Dv 2014 South African Selectee's?

Well I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope and pray they DONT pass it this year (or in the next couple of years if we dont get it first time around) as this is our only way out of SA!!!!!!!! Fingers crossed please :-) When will we know if they passed the bill or not, I thought it would be in April? Still waiting on info on that or when the 2015 application dates will be then (if NOT passed)

While it depends on if/when it all passes, the main thing to consider is what is actually proposed in the bill (which could of course be changed en route to passing).

DV 2015 is still going to happen, according to the current proposed bill, even if it is passed right now:

- Those currently getting visas for DV2013 - i.e. visas issued to end 30 September 2013 = no change

- Those getting visas for DV 2014 - i.e. those who could see in May this year that they were selected, and whose visas will be issued starting 01 October 2013 to 30 September 2014 = no Change.

- Those notified in fiscal year 2014 (i.e. for DV2015) i.e. before 30 September 2014, that they have been selected, and have their visas issued starting 01 October 2014 - 30 September 2015 = no Change.

No visas may be issued after fiscal year 2015 - i.e. 01 October 2015.

This means that there will only be 1 more entry period -i.e. DV2015, around November 2013, one more drawing period, i.e. May 2014, and 1 more year of visa issues -1 Oct 2014 - 30 Sep 2015. Then it will all be over.

While it depends on if/when it all passes, the main thing to consider is what is actually proposed in the bill (which could of course be changed en route to passing).

DV 2015 is still going to happen, according to the current proposed bill, even if it is passed right now:

- Those currently getting visas for DV2013 - i.e. visas issued to end 30 September 2013 = no change

- Those getting visas for DV 2014 - i.e. those who could see in May this year that they were selected, and whose visas will be issued starting 01 October 2013 to 30 September 2014 = no Change.

- Those notified in fiscal year 2014 (i.e. for DV2015) i.e. before 30 September 2014, that they have been selected, and have their visas issued starting 01 October 2014 - 30 September 2015 = no Change.

No visas may be issued after fiscal year 2015 - i.e. 01 October 2015.

This means that there will only be 1 more entry period -i.e. DV2015, around November 2013, one more drawing period, i.e. May 2014, and 1 more year of visa issues -1 Oct 2014 - 30 Sep 2015. Then it will all be over.

Hi guys, I'm a DV 2014 selectee. My case number is AF45xxx. I hope more South African 2014 selectees can join this site, so we can help eachother along this journey.

Hi Durbanboy,

Congrats and good luck with the journey. Our case no was 47xxx in the DV2012 and our interview date was mid June. Remember that your police clearance is only valid for 1 year. Don't get it too soon.

Hi Atir,

Thanks for the heads up. I've already applied for my unabridged birth certificate, as I have heard that home affairs takes forever with them...

Just a quick question to yourself and other previous winners; if one has used an agent to enter the lotto (usagc.org) does that hamper ones chances in obtaining their visa (permanent residency)?

I have been hearing conflicting opinions on this, so I just wanted some clarity...

I have no idea as we entered on the official site. Someone we know however won via an agent and eventually gave up on it as they demanded quite a few payments. Not sure though. I think as long as you have your case cumber you should be able to deal directly with the KCC etc.

Yeah, they tried to get in contact with me after I found out I won. But I politely told them that I'll go ahead on my own from here:) ive already filled in my DSP-122 and DS-230 forms and sent them to the KCC, so now I just have to play the dreaded waiting game....which may be 11 or 12 months..

Hi Atir,

Thanks for the heads up. I've already applied for my unabridged birth certificate, as I have heard that home affairs takes forever with them...

Just a quick question to yourself and other previous winners; if one has used an agent to enter the lotto (usagc.org) does that hamper ones chances in obtaining their visa (permanent residency)?

I have been hearing conflicting opinions on this, so I just wanted some clarity...

It shouldn't, but as Atir said, if they have control over your confirmation number then they may ask for payment (...for nothing basically....some are more unscrupulous than others apparently )

The other potential issue I have heard about is sometimes they keep entering you and if you have also entered without realizing they are also doing so you get disqualified for a duplicate entry.

There was someone else on here who got their green card (I think for dv2012) having entered through an agent. But I honestly don't understand why people do this...you get charged for what really is the simplest of processes and then have to stress extra if you win because the agent "handles" it.

I really think "you" should consider all the costs before you decide to enter the DV Lottery. Our family would so like to relocate and we are "ready" for it. But then you get these idots that just enter for the fun of it and then win, just to chicken out?

Dam, we so wanted to be one of the lucky ones.

Well I guess you will be where your suppost to be.

Hi All,

One of my family members won (I did not think in million years we would be lucky twice) me and then her, and the letter said 125,000 people were selected for further processing. Which is a first because when I won in 2009 they only selected 55,000 applicants for further processing unless I read my letter wrong. Which happens.

Fortunately her case number is in the mid 30,000 which is way lower than mine which was around 50,000. But I made it I am here. My question is since the department of education does not want to issue her the green colored matric certificate because some of the subjects she had in high school were lower grade, they told her she needs sub two of the subjects this year. Then in January following year they will give her the green certificate if she passes the subjects based on the current requirements.

Will this affect her application in some way? because she does have a national diploma and proof that she attended the local community college.

She holds a steady job (past 10 yrs) and can show proof of funds etc. Its just the green certificate thats giving our family nightmares.

Comments will be appreciated.

Eli

Hi All,

One of my family members won (I did not think in million years we would be lucky twice) me and then her, and the letter said 125,000 people were selected for further processing. Which is a first because when I won in 2009 they only selected 55,000 applicants for further processing unless I read my letter wrong. Which happens.

Fortunately her case number is in the mid 30,000 which is way lower than mine which was around 50,000. But I made it I am here. My question is since the department of education does not want to issue her the green colored matric certificate because some of the subjects she had in high school were lower grade, they told her she needs sub two of the subjects this year. Then in January following year they will give her the green certificate if she passes the subjects based on the current requirements.

Will this affect her application in some way? because she does have a national diploma and proof that she attended the local community college.

She holds a steady job (past 10 yrs) and can show proof of funds etc. Its just the green certificate thats giving our family nightmares.

Comments will be appreciated.

Eli

Hi Eliab

1. For DV2009, there were in fact 99 600 entrants selected - every year around 2X the number of people are drawn than the actual number of visas available, as so many people either don't take it up, or are denied. But only 50 000 (plus 5 000 Nicaraguan) visas are issued.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_4317.html

2. I'm not sure what the concern is with a 'green' matric certificate or otherwise. I presented my original, old Cape Senior Certificate (did matric in the days when the Cape, Natal, OFS and Transvaal as it was then - each issued their own). When I presented it at the interview, the person at the consulate opened a manual, turned to South Africa, and ran his finger down a long list of 'acceptable' certificates until he found 'Cape Senior Certificate' - and that was accepted without question. So, even if the current type of certificate for matric that is issued is different to what she has, the fact that she obtained her 'matric' in whatever certificate format a decade or so ago, should be fine.

Thanks Malamute, now that makes sense about the visas. To answer your second question about the matrik certificate, she lost her original certificate and only has the transcript. So when she went to the department of education, they said no they will not reprint because of the lower standard grade. She decided that she will do what they ask her to do which take two subjects to replace the lower standard grade subjects. Then hopefully before the interview nexy year March/April she will have the reprint matrik certificate.

Will keep you guys updated on the whole process.

Congrats to Eliab and Durban boy! All I can say is go for it no matter what. This is a once in a life time opportunity for you guys, and for most of us the DV system is our only chance of getting into the US. I can only hope one day I will be as lucky as you guys :)

Quick question. I know this is off topic but can anyone advise me on this. For the past 3 years I have been entering the DV aswell as my parents, as I am under 21. My idea was if they were chosen I would be able to get the visa under them and if they wanted to they could immigrate aswell. IF there is a DV 2015, im just wondering if it would be even worth entering them this time round, as I will turn 21 on April 29 next year, so basically I would be 21 when the results are announced. I have read somewhere that there is a protection act with the whole age thing and turning 21 during the visa process, which determines if the child would still be eligible to receive a visa? Im afraid though that the whole process takes so long that this would not apply to me?

Just wanting to check on this, Im planning to go get the new photo's done for the DV 2015 Entry before I head back to the US next month, would be a waste to take them with for nothing.

Thanks!

I have read somewhere that there is a protection act with the whole age thing and turning 21 during the visa process, which determines if the child would still be eligible to receive a visa? Im afraid though that the whole process takes so long that this would not apply to me

Saun, you can read here about the Child Status Protection Act, but as far as I understand it won't apply to you in the situation that you described.

Edited by Superkruz