Sign in to follow this  
Gillchan

What Is Up With Home Affairs??

hey everybody, Ive just joined your forum. And Im sooo glad to see that something like this exists. Im from Joburg (born in CT) and missing SA like there is NO tomorrow. Ive been living in Louisiana (or Lous-i-anna) for 3 years now and kyk hier...I cant stand the food. I dont talk about it to ppl, cos hulle's bietjie baie sensitief hier omtrent hulle "great cuisine" (shame lol - they obviously have NOT been to some of our even halfway-decent restaurants). Anyway, what my question really is (but I had to digress in true SA style and go halfway around the world first) is - does anyone know what the procedure is for applying for a child's passport when the child is in SA and your in the USA.

See, my ex and I decided that our son wouldn't come with me initially when I moved to the USA because it was very sudden and because I wasn't too sure if I was going to stay. Now that I've established that, we're making concrete plans to get him here.

But now, Home Affairs is saying that I have to be PRESENT in SA to apply for his passport and that his dad cant do it as the guardian parent - even though I did send a notarised copy of my passport, id, green card etc with a letter of auth giving him the authority to apply on my behalf and also explaining that I live here etc.

Ive called the consulates - nee ...hulle's net so useless - its as if Ive walked into that dirty little building at Home Affairs in Randburg. Does anybody know what I can do? Or can someone point me in the right direction plse?

There is no way that I can just hop on a plane and make a "run" to SA just to apply for my sons passport and then "hop" back.

I was planning to go home in December for Xmas but this applic cant wait that long to get into the processing line - it already takes 3-6 mnths just for a passport to be issued. and Im dying for my son to be with me.

Help asb?

Dankie

Gill

Hi

I can't help you on the being present issue - both of us had to physically be present at home affairs too for our children's passports. However, where I can maybe give you some comfort, is that it does NOT take 3-6 months for a passport to be issued in SA - these days it is usually a few days. I seem to recall our kids took a couple of days longer as I think they do extra checks for kids' passports (good) but it was definitely less than 2 weeks from application to passport receipt. For the adult passports it was within a week.

Thank you so much. Good to know that it just takes a few days, but really Home Affairs is nuts. There must be thousands of women who dont know where the fathers of their children are and may need to apply for their kids passport?! How do they deal with that? fabricate somebody? But thank you, that gives me some kind of solace. Have you ever dealt with the SA consulates in the USA and if so, which do you recommend?

Sorry, never dealt with any in the US personally. My dad deals with whoever is closest to NYC, but he's never had to do anything complicated.

Hi Gillchan,

We had a similar situation with my husband's ex and their kids. She had to get a court order and took that to home affairs. Seems to be the only solution.

Hi Gillchan, Its probably because SA is trying to comply with international law/local law because the one parent can kidnap their children and then you can turn around and sue the goverment for not following due process. Probably it has happened thats why they are being so particular in your case.

Single parents is a case of if father/mother is unknown then chances of being sued are less.

Just my two cents, because with the world becoming such a small place (meaning the ability to marry citizens from other countries) kidnapping by former spouses/families of former spouses is happening more and more.

Eli

Thank you for all of your replies guys. The court order bit is good to know, cos I guess if I have to go to that extreme, I will have to . On the other hand, gaining the perspective of what Home Affairs is adhering to in terms of Intl Law, does take away some of my frustration.

I'm going to try everything I can and hope something works.

Again, thank you, I do so appreciate this.