Sign in to follow this  
gmdbn

6 Months On.

In a few days we would have been in the US for 6 months and so far have settled in nicely.

The credit issue seems to determine everything here, we wanted to finance a property but were declined due to lack of credit history. Fortunately we managed to get a foreclosed property without the help of the bank, time will tell if this is a good thing or bad. Life here is great, we never feel threatened in any way, sometimes even sleeping with the doors unlocked. We lack international news, local news is local, it's like other states or international don't exist. Car insurance is as discussed by so many members, expect to get nailed, we moved States and our premium dropped $100/month.

All said, if you come here don't expect things to be easy, but focus on the reason you came here and ignore the noise around you.

• Like 2

I'm glad to hear things are working out for you. Yes, the credit issue is a "killer". And it requires a lot of patience - and some fancy footwork - to get up to speed.

"All said, if you come here don't expect things to be easy, but focus on the reason you came here and ignore the noise around you. "

You've hit the nail right on the head.

• Like 1

Yes I agree its not an easy journey!

Been here less than 14 days... We are both reeling from the last few days! We have got our social security cards done, we got our Virginia drivers licenses, I nearly got booked into hospital last week with a kidney stone! But all sorted now. Bought a SUV yesterday so we are now mobile!! Woo hoo.

Do we have to get up this morning? Soo tired now, it's hot and humid outside and nice and cool in our basement.

In a few days we would have been in the US for 6 months and so far have settled in nicely.

The credit issue seems to determine everything here, we wanted to finance a property but were declined due to lack of credit history. Fortunately we managed to get a foreclosed property without the help of the bank, time will tell if this is a good thing or bad. Life here is great, we never feel threatened in any way, sometimes even sleeping with the doors unlocked. We lack international news, local news is local, it's like other states or international don't exist. Car insurance is as discussed by so many members, expect to get nailed, we moved States and our premium dropped $100/month.

All said, if you come here don't expect things to be easy, but focus on the reason you came here and ignore the noise around you.

We got insurance quotes ranging from $200 down to just above $100 for two drivers for our RAV4 so yes insurance is a bit wild over here. Def shop around.

It drops when you have been around for a while and collected no tickets.

We have fairly cheep cars, well, 1 is a $7k Sequoia and the other is a $2k Camry, and only have a little over state minimum required on both and we pay $239 for 6 months for both. That works out to about $20 each per month. 5 years ago, we were paying $50 per month for 1 car simply because we had no driving records for them to work on. Insurance costs are affected very much by your driving record, number of at fault accidents and what they call moving violations, so things like going through red lights, speeding etc as opposed to stationary violations, like illegal parking. If you have an accident and it was NOT your fault, make sure the cops know that and put it in the report because if you are assigned a portion of the blame, your insurance premiums will go up.

If you have a minor ding and its less than your excess to repair, don't tell your insurance if you don't need to.

• Like 1

So. 6 months on for us. It has been a journey. What has felt like a long, frustrating, crazy journey. Sometimes I felt like just throwing in the towel and booking a ticket back to SA. If it wasn't for my wife being so positive about staying and highlighting the pitfalls of going back, I think I would have gone back. But I didn't and I'm still here. I'm so glad we are still here now. I have a great job now and am moving up the ladder at my new Co and it's only been just over two months there. Now that winter is coming to a close, we are ready to enjoy a nice hot and humid summer! It is over a year since we first arrived in the US and got our Green cards, so we have just under 4 years to go for Citizenship. It feels good, really good now. I have to say it still feels surreal being here, you get used to the way of life eventually and the way the Americans live gets more familiar every day but it is surreal!

For anybody about to make the journey to USA all can say is it is definitely worth it in the long run.

Edited by Adder
  • Like 1

Well done Adder and your wife!! Glad you are settled and starting to enjoy your new life. My hubby unfortunatley got cold feet as we were about to buy a house in Annapolis -- now he isnt sure he wants to go anymore. Worries about "farming backwards" and dropping his standard of living etc. I think when were there in February in the Washington DC area -- the winter this year was particularily bad and the cold snowy weather also worries him. I am hoping he keeps hearing what I'm saying about giving it a try and we end up going! Hold thumbs please!!!

Hi there

Did u settle in Annapolis?

Thank you

Sol1 did you end up persuading your hubby? Are you over there yet?

Sol1 did you end up persuading your hubby? Are you over there yet?

The did move to the USA but are back in SA - here is a post about their move back to SA.

The did move to the USA but are back in SA - here is a post about their move back to SA.

I don't know how to link a particular post but read further on in that thread to post #72 :(

Oh no. Sorry to hear. :( will have a little read now. Thanks for the update.

Sho I feel for Sol. Any other updates following her last post about the neighbourhood break in and their reconsidering the states once more? Hope things worked out for them.