Sign in to follow this  
gmdbn

6 Months On.

Hi SJ27;

Thanks for the post and advise. I am persuaded by your post to reconsider the State I reside in and WES to evaluate my qualifications. I will implement your suggestions and take your views with the seriousness they deserve. I will act on them and updater you and the members of this forum. ONCE again thanks SJ27.

Hi SJ27;

Thanks for the post and advise. I am persuaded by your post to reconsider the State I reside in and WES to evaluate my qualifications. I will implement your suggestions and take your views with the seriousness they deserve. I will act on them and updater you and the members of this forum. ONCE again thanks SJ27.

I'd suggest starting by researching first what states are best for graduates in your field, and doing some preliminary enquirers/job searches in them?

adventurer1

I have not been on the site for a few weeks, and only now see the posts.

I also landed here, sort of lost, fortunately good friends of us put us up till our furniture arrived.

So that help a lot , but it is quite stressing to see the bank account emptying and nothing coming in.

What I do think though , maybe I'm wrong , South Africans tend to be very conservative in their approach in applying for a job.

And also most of the Interviews seems to be on the phone in the USA, which makes it difficult for South Africans who grow up speaking afrikaans.

I sort off force a company into doing a face to face interview and that was the 1st job offer I got.

Now they are very happy that they employed me , as I do bring a lot of skills to the table,

(between the lines I heard when I started they interviewed in excess of 2 dozen candidates ) .

Point here is , I think one have to be forceful without being arrogant in your approached.

Though I might be wrong , I have only been here for 3 1/2 months.

So yes , difficult to get settled. I feel for you guys.

It crossed my mind a few times (while jobless) that maybe it was a mistake to come here.

I can just imagine how it must feel after 6 months.

A good friend (wife and young child) of mine got Permanent Residency into Canada.

He only got a job after 6 months, he was also planning to move back (temporarily), but fortunately the job offer came in time to stop his move.

I still think a good approach would be for the husband (or wife) to come ahead, keeping cost low and look for a job, makes it easier to take on a few places.

Even if it takes 6 months , your cost is lower.

Or rest family come with for the green card kick-in process and go back once the re-admission has been organised.

Hard on the family though.

Sorry , message is a bit disjointed , disappointed that the boks lost, and feeling sad for adventurer1's and other's troubles.

• Like 1

Hi All

Long time since I've posted. Takes loads of courage to write this mail.

Some of you know my story, hope this helps anyone.

3 Months ago we came to a cross road where we had to make THE most difficult decision.

We were on the edge of moving states (we were on the East Coast, PERMANENT work was scarce and the cost of living very very high).We opted to pack up and move down to one of the southern states (to be closer to dear SAFFA friends, and were supposedly there was more work).

We also had a few very concerning family crises on hand. (back in SA)

We had to do the move during the summer holiday- less distributive to school going kids. We gave notice for the rental house.

After getting quotes to move all our goods a few 1000 miles down. We realized that it costs almost the same as it would to move our household back to SA.

With no permanent work prospects in plain sight, and burning through our ZAR's, and the added family crisis on the horizon, we decided to temporarily move back to SA!

applied for Re entry permits (thank Goodness we did!)

We first thought of putting up our stuff in storage and just move back for awhile. (I really wish we did do this). To battle back in SA without our "stuff" and not knowing how ''long'' we will be here, we decided to move back - lock stock and barrel. Husband couldn't secure a permanent job in US, but the SA market seemed to be different. Though the industry he's from is going through a very tough time- he managed to get job at a multi national.

With in the first 3 days back in SA, we already had huge remorse, tried to stop the shipment - but too late.

Family and friends were very happy to have us back. Felt like we never left, except, in the 6 months that we were not here, things surely did change. We felt that the country is up in ''flames''. The electricity crisis, 3 biggest economic industries ''crashing'', crime is on the rise.

just in the month that we were back, all 5 malls in our local areas were armed robbed.- one during the same time that we were casually in the movies.

3 months down, and I still wish we didn't have to. Wish things worked out differently. Though having a nice summer braai with all our friends, watching WCR , having laughs and kids running around, makes you almost forget all the bad things. You can almost ''live'' here again.

If it was up to me, I would have been back to US already, I don't want to be here, family or no family. friends or no friends. I just permanently feel there is something better out there.

Who knows how long it would be before we set foot on US soil again.

I just hope that it will be somedIay.

Oh i so know how you feel Adventurer1 -- i also so wish we had stayed in USA. We back in Knysna now -- life is good here but all the SA troubles really worry a person. Wondering if we could ever get returning resident visa's one day.

• Like 1