Sign in to follow this  
Malamute

Almost At The End

Congratulations Malamute!! Nice feeling when it is all done and dusted! :)

Congratulations! It has taken a while! :)

Thanks all. And just 8 days later, I have that lovely Blue USA passport in hand. Never mind the 'land of the free' - this is clearly 'the land of the quick' too.

Next up, will be going to the Social Security offices to update my records to that of citizen.

• Like 2

Awesome!

Ah, (mostly) visa free travel... I think that alone is worth the process :D

Malamute; Congra. Continue to keep advicing us on some of the ins-out and where to go and what to do, and how to get...

Tx

Yes. As I have a trip out of the country booked - and departure date was about 7 weeks from the ceremony, I went the expedited route (they stated that te usual processing time is 4-6 weeks, and I didn't want to start stressing if it was at the upper limit of that time period). Expedited route is supposed to be about 3 weeks, but took a week. There is an even faster route, where you pay courier fees, but I didn't do that.

(One thing to remember is that from the moment you take the oath ceremony until you get that US passport, you legally cannot leave the country - i.e. you are simply an American without a passport). Even if you retained your SA citizenship and have a valid SA passport, it is not legal to use it to leave the country. Nor could you get back in on that passport........

So, yes, handed in the passport application at the ceremony, and 1 week later had the passport in my hand! In the US Mail.

... from the moment you take the oath ceremony until you get that US passport, you legally cannot leave the country - i.e. you are simply an American without a passport). Even if you retained your SA citizenship and have a valid SA passport, it is not legal to use it to leave the country. Nor could you get back in on that passport.........

Legally, this is correct and leaving on your SA passport would be a misdemeanor with a sanction similar to a LPR not carrying his/her green card when leaving home. In practise however, you could easily leave the USA using your SA passport because the USA does not have any immigration exit control. It is almost as if they don't care who leaves the country, only who enters.

Legally, this is correct and leaving on your SA passport would be a misdemeanor with a sanction similar to a LPR not carrying his/her green card when leaving home. In practise however, you could easily leave the USA using your SA passport because the USA does not have any immigration exit control. It is almost as if they don't care who leaves the country, only who enters.

I used to think that the USA doesn't have any immigration exit controls, but in fact, it seems it now does. It isn't in the form af an agent stamping your passport at the airport, but the USA implemented a sysytem called APIS (Advance Passenger Information System) in 2008.

All commercial airlines (and there are now programs in place for rail, private air etc too) HAVE to collect your passport and other information as part of the booking/check-in or airport check in process. This data is transmitted directly to the APIS system. APIS is run by the US Customs and Border protection - so they have a complete manifest, with passport details etc, of each entry AND exit from the USA.

So, what this means is that I COULD give the airline my SA passport details, and leave the country, quite correct, but this is recorded not onlyl by the airline, but by the US Customs and Border Protection I imagine this is how they discover visa overstays etc as well. There are numerous stories on the internet where US Customs and Border Control have pulled someone aside, and was able to look up when - and how many times - they left the USA - by looking at this database.

(Not to mention the fact that having left on my SA passport if I didn't have a US passport yet, means that I could not return to the USA - at least not without the intervention of a US Embassy abroad detc, as I could not return on my SA Passport = no valid visa, no Green Card).

Edited by Malamute

I agree with everything you wrote. I just wanted to point out that one could leave the US on your SA passport without any hassle.

I stand corrected but isn't an immigration exit control system one of the suggestions in the immigration reform bill before congress at the moment?

Edited by Superkruz

Malamute is absolutely correct. This is how the US knows how long you have been out the country too btw when you are still on a green card. I wouldn't chance it.

They know that you left, but they get the info from the airlines - not from their own system (like they do when you enter the US).