Sign in to follow this  
Eileen

16 People On Things They Couldn't Believe About America Until They

I came across this on fb and thought it made for very interesting reading:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/michael-koh/2013/11/16-people-on-things-they-couldnt-believe-about-america-until-they-moved-here/

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Eileen, quite interesting indeed and perhaps we can add some of our own tough-to-explain findings.

I was surprised to find that:

• almost all places of business have (usually clean) public toilets
  • food prices don't simply go up and up all the time, they also come back down
  • the same applies to the price of gas (petrol)
  • people are always willing to wear costumes for Halloween, Christmas, etc. in public
  • kids leave their toys and bicycles outside and (usually) nobody steals it
  • kids aged 15 and older can visit a medical doctor without their parents' consent
  • pharmacists are extremely reluctant to offer any advice on anything besides over-the-counter medicine
  • nobody knocks on your door and begs for money, food, clothing or whatever.

There are more, but let me stop here for now.

• Like 1

Very interesting link...

I learnt something interesting this weekend at a (rather larney) Southern Belle kind of Christmas party:

Southern culture is something that one really has to understand. It is expected of you to be polite and have gracious manners towards everyone you come in contact with, EVEN if it means you are not being honest. Apparently this is why there is such a need for gossip in the well-to-do southern circles. Because you must be polite no matter what, the real stories usually come out after a couple of stiff bourbons or mint juleps!

We tried to explain that us Saffers are considered very straightforward and not that PC - and we were told" oh, but the southern way is something you simply have to learn if you want to "get along" here.

So - for anyone that is considering the South - remember this!

And 'bless your heart!' is not always meant to be nice at all! lol!

We were surprised to find that:-

For some occupations there is no national qualification. If you move from one state to another you have to be re-certified. Teachers and nurses are 2 that I can think of quickly.

The alcohol sales law differs from state to state too. In SC, wine and beer could be bought in supermarkets - but not on Sundays. In TN, there is no wine sales in supermarkets. (TN just voted to change that!)

It is considered rude to eat with your knife and fork. You cut the food up and then lay your knife down and only use the fork.

TV adverts for prescription medication. Are you supposed to tell the doctor what medicine you want?

License plates (tags) are required back and front of the car in some states and only the back in others.

And 'bless your heart!' is not always meant to be nice at all! lol!

Laughing at that one as I was about to post the same comment!! :)

"Well bless his / her heart" is in fact an insult that is meant to show how the person commenting is "sympathetic" towards the "offender" who really is "bad" for whatever reason the alleged "blessing" is being given.

A real suthun way of throwing out an insult while still being polite and PC. Big in Gawjah and the Carolinas.

• Like 1

I thought this was the best one - LOL!

5. Jamie Moreno

When my husband moved here (to Canada) he was a Chilean living in Spain. When he first arrived, he couldn’t believe how little we had to work for such money, and how we had the audacity to complain about being “overworked.” He was surprised that he could make enough to pay bills, buy groceries, pay rent, and still afford a social life and luxuries like our xbox while working as a pizza chef. Back home, he was working 12-16 hour days 6 days a week, with an extra 6 hour shift on Sundays, and he was making half as much. He had to work 8 months (while living with his mother) to afford the ~$4000 that constituted his plane tickets and first two months living expenses.

Now, he is lazy and entitled like the rest of us.