Sign in to follow this  
Heidz

Reason You Chose To Live Where You Live

Hi All

I have been trawling the net about possible places to live etc and was wondering why people chose to live where they are now settled or going to settle.

Was it the weather, jobs, schooling, family etc.

• Like 1

Great topic...

This post will come in handy as we start looking at new job options at the end of the year. Can't wait to hear from Saffers what it is they like / dont like about their States!

We are in Kentucky (rural - ugh) purely because it's where the job was. Love the safety and slower pace of life, it is also very scenic, but hate the backward mentality! It's like living in the 1970's hahaha

Well, we've yet to find out if our choice will work out for us... But basically - we wanted to be in or near a liberal city (emphasis on city for things like arts, culture, science centers, museums etc) with good potential jobs for both my husband and I, in or near places with natural beauty to enjoy the weekends or get away for weekends, where we could get a decent house in a good school district. My husband vetoed east coast winters, so we have ended up with the SF Bay Area as our destination of choice :) if we had relaxed the weather constraint, Boston would have been an option; and for somewhere a bit quieter and less liberal San Diego would have been an option. We did like Denver a lot and that would probably have been our second choice after SF.

My father doesn't understand how we can choose somewhere with earthquakes (despite that he lived in LA for a couple of years!!)

I have to say one thing about the US... It is so big and so diverse I think there is a place somewhere there for anyone, no matter what you do, where on the political spectrum you sit, whether you like big city or small town, etc!!

Edited by SJ27

SJ27, I like your take on the states, but i have yet to hear some Safffers mention Minnesota, States of Dakota, and such like. Many Saffers seems to be biased towards CA, NC and SC, TX, and to an less extent MA. Is this where there is a large concentration of SA's? With NYC, people morun about it being expensive, which i undertsnad because I am not Bill Gate of Denzel Washington. I like MA and Boston specifically, but the problem seems to wheather. Florida has the Durban wheather and the humidity seems to be a drawback for some. Michigan, crime and unemployment rate, is what many live SA to run away from; thus they cannot afford to go to another crime ridden place.

SJ27, I like your take on the states, but i have yet to hear some Safffers mention Minnesota, States of Dakota, and such like. Many Saffers seems to be biased towards CA, NC and SC, TX, and to an less extent MA. Is this where there is a large concentration of SA's? With NYC, people morun about it being expensive, which i undertsnad because I am not Bill Gate of Denzel Washington. I like MA and Boston specifically, but the problem seems to wheather. Florida has the Durban wheather and the humidity seems to be a drawback for some. Michigan, crime and unemployment rate, is what many live SA to run away from; thus they cannot afford to go to another crime ridden place.

Some Saffers love Florida, I can't stand the place personally. (Not meaning to insult the SAUSA people who live there. I just don't like it personally.)

Minnesota ..weather. Dakota...boom now, and maybe for a long time yet, but generally pretty isolated. I have a (South African originally) friend in Montana who loves being there, and another friend born and bred in Montana who can't understand why anyone would voluntarily move there. It's all so subjective.

Boston is probably not much cheaper than NYC btw. The winter weather is worse but not so as a saffer would really notice the difference, it's all flipping freezing to us!!!

Edited by SJ27

We settled in Portland, OR, simply because that's where the Missus got a job. And we're still here 'cause it took nine (9) years in total before we were in possession of our permanent residency.

By now we've gotten used to Oregon's rainy weather, but it's green and lush. Plenty of water and plenty of "liberal" people, hence the slogan: "Keep Portland Weird". The beer is excellent too...

"Ten things we love about Portland, Oregon"

"Why we like being from Oregon"

Boston is probably not much cheaper than NYC btw. The winter weather is worse but not so as a saffer would really notice the difference, it's all flipping freezing to us!!!

Depending on where you live it can be a lot cheaper than NYC. As far as weather goes.... ja, well, no, fine...... it's really crisp during winter in Boston but I decided to embrace it and learned to snowboard, now I can't wait for the snow season to come around - it is also very pretty when the whole place is covered in snow.

After living in Pretoria and Brisbane, Australia I wanted to experience a place that has 4 real seasons in a year and decided on Boston. New Hampshire and Vermont is quite close and is beautiful in Summer and Fall and has some good ski resorts for Winter sports.

Depending on where you live it can be a lot cheaper than NYC. As far as weather goes.... ja, well, no, fine...... it's really crisp during winter in Boston but I decided to embrace it and learned to snowboard, now I can't wait for the snow season to come around - it is also very pretty when the whole place is covered in snow.

After living in Pretoria and Brisbane, Australia I wanted to experience a place that has 4 real seasons in a year and decided on Boston. New Hampshire and Vermont is quite close and is beautiful in Summer and Fall and has some good ski resorts for Winter sports.

"NYC" can be a lot cheaper than NYC too depending on where you live, if you see what I mean ;) . It was a generic response to a generic comment.

I would have been more than happy to go live in Boston but my husband vetoed it.

I must be honest that two saffer friends know who live there and both have for years (one about 15 years and one 20) both say they are now sick of winters and want to move somewhere warmer.... Despite the one is a huge ski bunny.

I would have been more than happy to go live in Boston but my husband vetoed it.

It is very likely that I will get fed-up with the cold winters too. If I could do it all over again I would have chosen Chicago - of all the cities I've been to it is the most beautiful of them all but I hear the winters there are worse that in Boston.

Chicago winters, are you crazy?!!? Worse than Boston is like saying the Sahara desert is hotter than the UK. Chicago is beautiful, agreed, but in summer :D. That said... I do know South Africans there too...

Weather plays a big part in the equation. Many people in our area have moved to the Carolinas from up North because of the weather and the cost of living. Our choice was based on weather, we wanted to be below the snow line. Last winter we had 3 days of the white stuff, day 1 was fun, day 2 was when is this going to stop and day 3 well never mind. West coast with earthquakes was not worth considering, check the cost of property insurance in this area, maybe locals could add comment on this. I have family in Florida but have always viewed it as 'tourist town', but having lived in Durban most of my life a change was in order. Our other choice was Denver Colorado.

Gmdbn, your take is well refreshing. SJ27, the Chicago-Boston comparison is interesting. Can you add some flesh to it; explain a bit further that is. Minnesota, is it really cold or it is midway? Texas, what turns you off; is it the wheather or the Spanglish that is spoken there? NYC seems out of the equation for many. Finance seems to be the determining factor. NC and SC are, probably affordable. New Hampshire (Manchester); any taker on this? Boston, Superkruz is tired and needs a warmer place. Heat can make you a walking sauna at times. Florida, some score it low because of this. Oregon of Janneman does not seem to be gaining support from the info on the link. Actually, the link seems to demotivate prospective residents. Washington, like Dakota, is it because they are outlaying states? What about jobs there? I read somewhere the unemployment rate is below 4% in N/Dakota. The consideration here are places to find employment, wheather, good schools, cost of living.......Judging based on these variables, give me a sense of the likebaility of some states.

Shatale, not to brush you off, but really you can get an awful lot of information on things like the weather on the internet.

The wiki page on each of those things you ask for is a good start for an overview of the place.

Bear in mind that places with high/low cost of living often have commensurate high/low salaries, but this will also depend on the level you can work at. So for example I have seen real life examples of the difference between a low wage worker in Tennesee vs San Francisco being around $1 an hour while a particular IT job had a difference of almost $100k a year. Now that particular example may be an extreme but it works to show you you cannot just make blanket statements about things like cost of living without taking those things into account. The kind of job I personally do can be very well paid in a big financial centre, but non-existent in a small town. So it would be useless for me to go to a low cost of living small town or even state when I probably couldn't find a good job for my skills. When you read about how low unemployment is in N Dakota, it is surely very easy to read why and see what kind of jobs are available.

Each person here can give you their own impression of where they are and why they like it or not, but your personal circumstances may be very , very different.

Edited by SJ27

West coast with earthquakes was not worth considering, check the cost of property insurance in this area, maybe locals could add comment on this.

Personally, I wouldn't dismiss the West coast because of earthquakes. This is such a minor issue, and far, far less likely to affect you than tornadoes, storms, ice storms etc which can be a big issue in many other states, and cause many more deaths, injuries, and property damage than earthquakes.

In the last 20 years, only 2 people have been killed by earthquakes in California. Even the recent earthquake in Napa - worst in the SF Bay area in 25 years, caused only minor damage to most in the residential areas of San Francisco itself - a few broken dishes off shelves, or nothing at all - most people didn't even wake up.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/us_deaths.php

I would think that you are much more 'in danger' in Tega Cay from a possible tornado than you would be in California because of an earthquake.

You don't have to have earthquake insurance. Most people don't, and most people never need it.

Nothing wrong with the West cost.

My comment 'West coast with earthquakes was not worth considering' was our personal reason to not consider California because of the possibility of earthquakes in the region, you are more qualified than I am Malumute having lived there, but I will still take my chances with a tornado in Tega Cay.