Sign in to follow this  
oscar

Sa Post Office Strike

The SA post office is on strike for about 10 weeks now already. I sent a package in September and it has not been received on the other side. Apparently the worst affected area is Johannesburg where most of the mail ends up before being sent out in the local distribution. The post office has mountains of mail lying around in Johannesburg for months now and there appears to be no end to the strike action. So for anyone contemplating sending out packages or cards to SA. Forget about it !... it's not going to get through.

See article on: http://www.fin24.com/Tech/Companies/Mail-piles-up-at-Post-Office-20141102

Edited by oscar

Yes the situation with the post office is bleak at the moment, It does not look like there will be a settlement in the workers dispute anytime soon. Even if they were to go back to full operations today it would take some time to clear the backlog that has been created.

My father received the package I posted from DC last month. He stays in KZN. So I wonder how that one got through! I sent liquids and all!!

I think it's very dependent on where you are. I haven't noticed any disruption here in Cape Town.

That said you are taking a chance sendings parcels through the post office at the best of times. For around the past ten years, roughly half of the parcels sent to us from overseas just never arrived. They seem to get through better being sent to a PO box than a street address.

I got an email from one of my friends. Apparently the post office is trying to move all the mail from the Gauteng area to Cape Town to be sorted and redistributed. This process is expected to take until January /February next year.

Good News !!! The 20 lbs box I sent in September has arrived at its Destination. it has taken over three months to get there... makes a nice Christmas present.

• Like 1

Appears there is another SA Post office strike which started today and could last for some time!

Ridiculous!

Appears the post office strike is off. No mail was delivered for a few days, but service is back to normal again.