Sign in to follow this  
Jelebi

N400 Questions

What Malamute said.

"Come on Eileen", [ :D :D] please don't stop posting! :)

• Like 1

What Malamute said."Come on Eileen", [ :D :D] please don't stop posting! :)

Hahaha!!

Thus, to everyone who won the DV Lottery: Count your blessings every day. And to those who have won, but subsequently declined to accept the prize...

Janneman, you have true staying power! I am so very grateful that I was on a Green Card from the start (DV visa). I think the first year or so is much harder for the DV winners than for those on work sponsored visas like L1 and H1b, but after that, it is a breeze compared to all the angst of employers, visa renewals, restrictions etc. that those on an h1b have to go through.

I am also grateful to have had a DV, though I think in some ways it's easier to not be on a H1B or L1 even while understanding why malamute says that - for us we felt great freedom in being able to really settle in and get to know the place etc before looking for work. I've moved cities for work before and hated the "work as soon as you arrive" pressure getting to know the town, traffic routes, how schools work etc etc all at the same time as a full time job! And that was just a different city in SA so across the world would have been even more unfamiliar. So we found this route quite "luxurious" !!! Of course lucky to find work at a desired employer pretty soon after starting to look and I admit if that bit hadn't happened it would not have felt so easy and smooth! We know how lucky we have been and are very thankful for it.

The N400 on the USCIS website expires 9/30. Where can I get the new one that is valid now?

Today I celebrate 100 days till I can file my application for citizenship. Min dae!

One day to go!

• Like 1

Congrats. It seems to have come around in no time. Get ready to say goodbye to that Green Card once and for all!

I filed my n400 late November, did the biometrics late December, and now I'm waiting on the interview letter. My question is this... Is it a problem if one relocates during this period before one gets citizenship? I ask this because one of the requirements that I saw was that one has to reside in a district for three months and I'm not sure whether this refers to the 3 months prior to application or 3 months prior to the ceremony. I'm moving from the northern parts of the Boston area to the southern part, which is in a different county, hence my concern.

Hi Superkruz

You are good, the 3 months is 3 months prior to filing the N400. Even then, you are not changing the service district (which is what district refers to) - despite the move, your application will remain under the jurisdiction of the Vermont Service District.

See https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-11261/0-0-0-31517/0-0-0-31522.html specifically:

Has resided, as defined in § 316.5 of this chapter, for at least 3 months immediately preceding the filing of the application, or immediately preceding the examination on the application if the application was filed early pursuant to Section 334(a) of the Act and the three month period falls within the required period of residence under Section 316(a) or 319(a) of the Act, in the State or Service district having jurisdiction over the alien's actual place of residence; (Amended effective 11/28/2011, 76 FR 53764)

• Like 1

Malamute, thank you for the reply. Having read the information you quoted it seems that in my case it is the 3 months preceding the examination of my application (I assume that means the citizenship interview) as I applied 3 months early in terms of section 334(a), but since I am still in the same service district it doesn't matter as you pointed out.

Superkruz, getting close now - the time goes by quite quickly. Hard to believe I have been a citizen for two years already, this month! The wait up to that point seemed to last forever.

• Like 1

Exciting stuff Superkruz!

We're now down to 19 months until we can file our N400. Can't believe it's been just over three years since we landed in NYC and activated our Visas. Seems like a lifetime ago yet at the same time the very blink of an eye.

You might even be one of the last people on this site to be issued with a Citizenship letter signed by Big O himself. God only knows whose going to sign ours. Trump? Clinton? The Bern?

Your vote in November might even decide. Imagine that ;-)

Edited by JumpingJasonFlash
  • Like 1

November 2018 will be the five-year mark for me since obtaining a Green Card. Thus, if all goes well, I should become a citizen in either late 2018 or early 2019 - probably the latter - and that will be the final chapter in an immigration journey that started in September of 2004.

So, to everybody "outside" who reads this, becoming a US citizen can be a very long and arduous road, but it can be done. It took us nine years to get Green Cards - two years earlier than expected - and we can probably count ourselves lucky, because the H-1B route is getting more and more difficult. If Congress get their way, only those who are at the top of their professions will be granted H-1B visas, meaning those with masters and doctorate degrees.

Things do get fuzzy though if you are a top model, actor/entertainer, athlete or a person of the cloth.

So, if you don't have the necessary degree, you should perhaps brush up on your acting skills... :D

• Like 1

Congrats superkruz!

I'm kind of around Jason and janneman in terms of timeframe - can apply for late 2018 though may only be scheduled for early 2019 as we arrived just a few days before year end.

In our case: My husband will have to wait about year later as he spent 11 months out of the country after activating (there's no way around this, is there?) I'd originally thought of waiting to do it with him, but if I do that then one of our kids will turn 18 in the interim and have to do it all separately. Anything I misread or misunderstood here?

Exciting times. Our N-400 forms was sent in this past Friday(15th Jan), hard to believe that it is THAT time already although it sometimes feel as if it took forever.

Good luck with you last little stretch Superkruz!!

• Like 1