Sign in to follow this  
Jelebi

N400 Questions

If I may ask a question; If you submit your N400 before your five years (or so), will it be accepted? Let us say, you came in December and you are suppose to do it in five years, which ends in December and you do it in October; is this acceptable? I am asking this because the bureaucratic process normally takes longer; thus you will be compensating for that. What do you think?

If you meet all the requirements, you can submit the form 90 days before you reach the 5 years. You still cannot actually naturalize at a ceremony before the full 5 years, but as you point out, the process takes a few months, hence the provision that you can apply 90 days before the 5 years are up.

You will find this detailed in the instructions for the N400 form.

Good luck to everyone who is closing in on their 5 year mark. I am still nervous that my application will be declined due to my two 5 month absences in the first year of being a Green Card holder - this is why:

"An officer may also review whether an applicant with multiple absences of less than 6 months will be able to satisfy the continuous residence and physical presence requirements. In some cases, an applicant may not be able to establish that his or her principal actual dwelling place is in the United States or establish residence within the United States for the statutorily required period of time."

Good luck to everyone who is closing in on their 5 year mark. I am still nervous that my application will be declined due to my two 5 month absences in the first year of being a Green Card holder - this is why:

"An officer may also review whether an applicant with multiple absences of less than 6 months will be able to satisfy the continuous residence and physical presence requirements. In some cases, an applicant may not be able to establish that his or her principal actual dwelling place is in the United States or establish residence within the United States for the statutorily required period of time."[/size]

l

Were they consecutive, i.e. back to "check in" and out again before a permanent move?

I wouldn't think 2 counts as "multiple".

Edited by SJ27

Superkruz, I think you will be fine. Hubby and I went through this 9months ago, process was very pedestrian, anticlimactic actually. They may ask about those 2 stays outside US but im sure you have a legitimate reason especially if you are a DV winner, its quite common. Unless you have committed some serious fraud/crime theres no reason they would decline your application. We did the F1 to H1B to GC route which can break you down so much that the interview and ceremony itself was more of a relief than anything else. My advice, no need to worry unnecessarily, just enjoy the process and take it all in. Best of luck.

• Like 1

For those forumites who will be filing their N-400 and wonder how long the process takes, here is my timeline:

1. Mailed N-400 application to USCIS on 11/27/15
  2. Received Notification of receipt of application dated 12/04/15
  3. Received Biometrics appointment letter dated 12/12/15
  4. Attend Biometrics appointment on 12/31/15
  5. Received Notification (by email) that Interview appointment scheduling process has started on 01/18/16
  6. Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 02/03/16
  7. Interview scheduled for 03/14/16

Updated for the final step!

1. Mailed N-400 application to USCIS on 11/27/15
  2. Received Notification of receipt of application dated 12/04/15
  3. Received Biometrics appointment letter dated 12/12/15
  4. Attend Biometrics appointment on 12/31/15
  5. Received Notification (by email) that Interview appointment scheduling process has started on 01/18/16
  6. Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 02/03/16
  7. Attend Naturalization Interview on 03/14/16
  8. Received Citizenship Oath ceremony letter dated 03/30/16
  9. Attend Citizenship Oath Ceremony on 04/14/16
  • Like 3

So that leads to a question . If you entered USA for 1st time on green card visa. Stayed 3 weeks . Then go back for 6.5 months to sort out things then permanently arrive. To only leave for say 3 weeks at a time every say 2 years . When does your 5 years countdown start?

Your countdown for the 5 years starts the day you returned from the 6.5 months absence, and not from the date of your original landing. Any absence of more than 6 months (181 days) resets the 5 year counter to zero when it comes to the wait for citizenship. If your absence is 180 days, for example, then your wait would only be 5 years from the original date of entry.

Even if you had been in the USA for 4 years, and then left for 6.5 months, when you return, you have to wait 5 years again from that return date to meet the continuous residence requirement for naturalization.

Congrats, Superkruz. FINALLY.

Thanks Malamute, Can't believe the day is finally going to come next week!