Sign in to follow this  
Malamute

Biltong Now For Sale At Trader Joe's

A colleague of mine just came in with a packet of 'South African inspired BILTONG Beef Jerky' from Trader Joe's.

A little dry and powdery for my taste, but definitely a step up from 'Jerky' - and nice to know a fairly 'mainstream' store is selling Biltong.

post-3171-0-75186600-1430162290_thumb.jpg

We saw that the other day, didn't like it, haha!

By the way a lot of the herbs and spices Trade Joes sells are Robertsons from SA - they have TJ brand but you will see the bottles are Robertsons and the small print will tell you made in SA!

• Like 1

I can't remember the thread that drifted into what food to buy where, haha. Today I saw Ceres fruit juice at Whole Foods.

I found mrs balls and marmite at world market.

Can't believe I have missed it so much, expensive though, 5.99 and far to get there. Still looking for Ouma Rusks!

Ilsem, there are only a few products found on a fairly regular basis (besides World Market): Amarula Cream, Lyle's Golden Syrup (UK), Marmite (UK), Mrs Balls and Rooibos tea, but no Ouma Rusks.

Indian and Sri Lankan stores carry Marmite (India) ENO (India), Dettol (India) and Bird's Custard Powder (UK).

One will also find a few South African wines, of course.

However, go online and order from stores like The South African Shop - Atlanta or African Hut - California.

You'll find Ouma there - and also Pronutro.

I have had great success with this easy rusk recipe that my mother passed on to me.

Granny's Rusks

Rusks are delicious dipped in hot coffee, tea or Milo/chocolate.

Granny got this recipe off the SR flour packet years ago and kept the biscuit tins (Yes! The Quality Street tins!) full to share with visitors.

YOu can add raisins and other dried fruit or anise seed.

1Kg Self Raising Flour (2lb packet)

200ml Sugar (3/4 cup)

10ml Baking Powder (2tsp)

5ml Salt (1tsp)

250g Butter (1 stick)

500ml Buttermilk (1pt)

1 Egg

250ml Oil (1cup)

Sieve all the dry ingredients together.

Rub the butter into the flour mixture

Beat the eggs, oil and buttermilk well

Pour into the centre of the flour mixture

Mix and knead thoroughly. YOu can add a bit more flour if the mixture seems too wet.

Form into balls (slightly larger than a golf ball) and put into 9x13 pan plus a half loaf tin.

Bake at 180C (350F) for 45 minutes.

When cool enough to handle - pull apart - put onto cooling rack on top of cookie sheet.

Dry in low oven (on lowest temp setting) for about 3 hours or until totally dry

Store in an airtight tin. Dip into your favourite beverage and enjoy!

This is also for sale now at Whole Foods here in Colorado - Biltong.

http://aspenmeatworks.com/

In addition, there is another local company that sells biltong and droewors on Saturdays here in Denver (as well as South African meals)

http://www.joziskitchen.com/

And, of course, quite a few excellent places you can order online, but these are great for an 'in person' quick grab and go.

Hi All,

That Biltong from Trader Joe's definitely did not qualify as biltong, I'm sure we can all agree! There are some great new companies out there making biltong, including our family (Ayoba-Yo). We moved to the USA about 14 years ago and started making biltong in our kitchen with a family recipe. Now we sell online and in the DC/VA/MD area. You can find our website at www.ayoba-yo.com :)

• Like 1