Sign in to follow this  
Janneman

" Migration Is Not For Sissies "

"Elbie van Coller, a counselling psychologist practising in Sydney, chose immigration as subject for her Master’s thesis. She returned to university in the mid-90s after teaching in South Africa for 16 years. She was halfway through her Psychology studies when the family moved from South Africa to Australia in 2001. The subject of her thesis was the logical result of her own situation at the time."

I found this article on SAAustralia's website and it is a very good read.

I read that earlier,it was posted to a Facebook site - a very good read I thought.

was different for me, my crisis phase set in about 1 month after arrival and lasted a good 12 months. now all is good and I doubt I will ever look back. I will say tho, as crap as South Africa is right now, I will always miss that shit place

Edited by Adder
  • Like 2

Great article, and very helpful as I wrap here in the USA and get ready to migrate to Europe in 3 weeks.

It really does take 3 or 4 years to feel somewhat settled. We have been here almost 4, and now are going to have to go through this whole process again. As much as what the author says sounds like a no-brainer now, I know that I will need to be reminded again when the hard days come.

However, having done it once, I do feel empowered and in fact excited to do it again....

Good luck cchalmers.

Hm, I think part of the whole setting in process depends on where you come from, what your support network was, who is around you now, etc. some of us are lucky enough to move somewhere near family and close friends. I've actually found people friendlier and easier to get to know in my current town than i found it to move to Cape Town (living up to its cliquey reputation which I had thought was exaggerated but...).

Also, I somehow think that when you left SA may make a difference. 10 or 15 years ago when the country was still pretty well run and crime was the only real issue is quite different to more recently with rampant corruption, load shedding, service delivery protests and violent strikes intruding into even the major urban areas, etc. I honestly think it's an easier decision to leave now and more instantly see the general quality of life improvement, even if you end up in a smaller house or whatever.

Edited by SJ27
  • Like 1