Sign in to follow this  
CChalmers

Getting An Apostille For Sa Documents In The Usa

Has anybody had to arrange an Apostille for their SA marriage and birth certificates here in the USA?

I had to do it when I lived in Australia and it was a death mission... Here is a link to the Kentucky procedure - hope that helps.

Edited by Superkruz

CChalmers

Don't you have anyone living in Pretoria that can do it for you?

Its really really easy to do

You need to take the originals into the DFA's offices (Department of International Affairs)

OR Tambo Building

460 Soutpansberg Road

Rietondale

Their office hours are 8:30 - 12:30

If you take your docs before 12 it gets done within 30mins, if you arrive of give it in after, you have to collect yourself the next day.

Its free of charge

There's a small parking lot outside the building, and a security office- you queue there with your ID, you get an access card, and then can drive Into the building.

You enter the building from the parking garage, go through security again and then the Legalization offices are on your left hand side. You take a number and wait for a window to call you

I arrived there just after 8, queued for 10min outside (this was the longest queue). Waited 10-15min inside for my number. Waited another 30min in waiting room and had the docs.

PS> if you take more than 5 docs, they will only have it ready the next day. Less than that- its done on the spot

Thanks Superkruz - I saw this KY version as well, but I thought it would just be for US issued documents that were required for an overseas country. Do you think they would be able to "apostille" SA docs?

Did you do yours through the SA Embassy in Australia?

Thanks adventurer1...

Sounds like that might be an option, my husbands family lives in Joburg and could probably help BUT..... they are asking for copies of the documents to be not older than 6 months - ours were issued a couple years ago. That would mean we would have to get "fresh" copies from Home Affairs, and I don't know if you can get a third party to do that while we are overseas?

Problem is, he is planning to leave USA end July, and needs to get his Schengen visa in order to do so. So we have two months in which to then have new docs issued, and apostilled, and sent to the USA, and still have 4 weeks to apply for the visa safely...... Not sure this can be done?

• Like 1

Some feedback that I received on this matter this morning ....

The Kentucky Secretary of State can in fact assist IF the country of destination(in our case Germany) accepts apostillized documents of a third party country (South Africa). So if anyone has to go through this here in the USA, this is the way to go. Contact your state office, and they will be able to help as long as the destination country agrees.

Will post further detail as I go along, in case anybody needs this info in the future!

• Like 1