Sign in to follow this  
deal

Schools For Autism New Jersey

Hi. Anybody in New Jersey in this forum? We moving there soon and looking for a school for my son who is on the autistic spectrum. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Not in NJ, but what is the usual approach there? Are you looking at public school or a "special" school? I ask because friends of ours have a son who is quite severely autistic, but the public schools here in CA are inclusive and special needs children do not have "special schools". Our friends are very happy with the schooling and help he gets, and with how integrated into society he is as a result.

Hi. Thanks! I'm really not sure how the system works over there. In SA our options are so limited. I have no idea how there "inclusive" programmes work. I have seen a lot of private "autism" schools in NJ and was perhaps looking for a bit of direction and advise as I don't even know where to start looking. The mind boggles with the choice there!

Hi. Thanks! I'm really not sure how the system works over there. In SA our options are so limited. I have no idea how there "inclusive" programmes work. I have seen a lot of private "autism" schools in NJ and was perhaps looking for a bit of direction and advise as I don't even know where to start looking. The mind boggles with the choice there!

Here's a link to the idea http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/learning-disabilities/inclusive-education/ My friends have their son in one of the top school districts and I'd guess the system may not work so well in a less resourced district, so that may also be something to think of. I'm sure there is some parents association that may have more info about the pros and cons. It seems that there is a huge amount of support for autism, which is actually a main reason that my friends moved to the U.S.

Thanks for this interesting article! Yip apart from the glaringly obvious reasons for leaving SA, this for us is a high priority reason. There is no support and not much in the way forward for special needs in this country

Thanks for this interesting article! Yip apart from the glaringly obvious reasons for leaving SA, this for us is a high priority reason. There is no support and not much in the way forward for special needs in this country

Good luck with everything!

• Like 1