Sign in to follow this  
whiteloren

Update

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't accessed the platform for a long time. I wanted to say hi and good luck to all the folks on their applications for the new year and also to the people going for their interviews.

A little update- we went to Texas Austin when we first came and were there for about 8 months I think.. We hated every minute every minute of it! Work was great hubby offered five jobs at once and all was ok... Nice apartment and new cars etc... But just didn't like Texas at all.

Hubby got a job offer in California Orange County and we moved in five days! So we are now in Orange County and loving every minute of it. Home and work is amazing and just generally super happy.

I think it is important to stress that choosing a location that will make you happy is not overlooked. In the end we thought Texas would be better for money and costs. But my husband earns 4 times more here than in Texas and we have a better lifestyle that makes us happy.

There are so many folks who live in Texas and would not live elsewhere but for us as we have lived all over the world and want to be by the beach this was there right choice.

Just think positive and follow your heart. It's tough but in the end you will succeed ... We are still working on it but i can say my kids are well and happy and we are too!!

Keep well and chat soon X

• Like 2

Thanks for the update and happy to hear you found a place that you love living!

It's true, sometimes reasons that look good on paper for moving somewhere just don't pan out ...luckily the US is so big and diverse that most people should be able to find somewhere they enjoy living.

So happy things have worked out for you whiteloren! Thanks for sharing! Can I ask what it was that didn't click for you guys regarding Texas? It used to be on our short list but got moved right down to the bottom as the idea of all those tornados, floods and hurricanes didnt sit well with us... ;)

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

After reading Whiteloren's post, I felt compelled to write a little update on life in the US as a fellow DV2014 graduate :)

After my initial LSD trip in November 2014, I decided to pack it all in and give the US life a real go. As someone with a finance/banking background, I had to choose between Boston and New York. I ended up choosing to initially go with Boston (for the slightly lower cost of living and lower level of competition for jobs relative to NYC). I arrived in Boston at the beginning of May 2015 and I immediately went on the job hunt - contacting recruiters and reaching out to people. I was very fortunate to land a permanent job after only a couple of weeks into the job search (started work beginning of June). Although the job isn't in financial services, it is still analytical in nature and the pay is very decent.

Boston is a great city, with lots of opportunities and a really great place to raise a family (for those that have kids etc). I must admit though that it does tend to be a bit cliquey and people generally stick to their high school and university friends, which is a symptom of the city's own success - people never have to leave this place due to its great education system and a healthy job market.

All in all, it has been a great start for me in the country and Boston is a place to consider for those that have backgrounds in Accounting, Finance, Healthcare and the Tech industry.

Hope everyone is keeping well!

Thanks for the update DurbanBoy, great to hear it is going so well!

Hi guys so great to hear from you all. Without this group I don't think I would have gotten through the stress of the interview etc! It's funny how life changes. I can't believe we have been in the USA a year already. I think we are in for a wet winter biiut overall we are all really happy. What more can one want for your family? ;) it's been a hectic year for me so haven't been on here much. hoping I can get more time on the forum. Love staying in touch!

Regarding Texas... To answer the question... It was extremely hot when we arrived last year September. Then winter was freezing cold. Then it was rain and flooding. Then cold then hot ... It was actually crazy and we just were missing the beach so much. everyone said Austin is wonderful and it's got it's charm but we are more beach folk and so we didn't get excited about much there.... Some folks love it though. My husband was extremely unhappy there and I think it makes it hard when your partner is so unhappy.

Now in California we spend every day outside and just see a huge change in the little ones too. They were sick constantly in Austin ... And not sick here yet. I think happiness and sunshine helped. I also know a few folks here and that has also been really nice too.

It just feels like Durban to me. So a much easier transition.

There is so much to explore in the USA and it is super hard to decide where to go. We just had the thought process that we try a place and if we hate it we move. Lucky hubby was offered a job so it came at the right time as couldn't take more flooding!

Keep well all X