Sign in to follow this  
GoDz85

Possible Pregnant Wife - Dv Lottery 2017

Good day ladies and gents. Hope everyone is well! I have 2 questions that I really would like answered please. We have entered the DV Lottery this year but what would happen if my wife falls pregnant during the process? Could they deny us if we win?

Second question! We don't have much saved up financially so could they deny us if we don't have a certain amount or could we get a letter stating we being sponsored by friends in the US? Reading through interview stories and it sounds quite hectic

Thanks guys. Looking forward to your replies!

HI GoDZ85

No issue if your wife falls pregnant during the process. If you are selected for further processing, you will get a notice to file a form, (electronically), which you can add then your child, or if the child is still unborn, you let the USCIS know.

2nd: All depends on your circumstances. If you are ''young''/ single and you have qualifications that are a scarcity in the US, (which will ''guarantee'' that you will find work and won't be a burden on the state)- they might slide it. If you are 80 years old and will have to be supported by the state / state pension- you might / will be denied. There are no fix amount and its taken case by case.

There has been people on this forum that had family / friends filing "affidavit of support' to their cases. This is a huge thing to ask from a friend (in my opinion). But it probably all depends on your relationship and their circumstances. (they have to meet minimum wages, updated Tax returns etc)- if you turn out to be a burden to the state, they can be held legal

Hope this helps

Also bare in mind every child you add to the mix raises the "amount" they want to see you have. So for a 3 person family it's roughly $25k. For a 4 person family it jumps to $30k, and so on.

Edited by Pickles

................... if my wife falls pregnant during the process? Could they deny us if we win?

This reminds me of the first time i used the phrase "fall pregnant" in the US. The person I was talking to had no idea what I meant - "becomes pregnant", he understood.

Although you might feel like you won, you don't "win" in the DV lottery - you get selected for further processing, but I get what you mean.

Possible pregnant? You know there are tests you can do to make sure.. :P My wife is currently pregnant and it looks like our interview and due date will be in the same month. Jan 2016. As I won't be able to unlock my DS-260 by that time anymore, I'll just inform the consulate at the interview that we'll have +1 travelling with.

Hi everyone,

We were selected for DV2017 with possible interview now in October and we found out we are 6 weeks pregnant. Quite a shock, but excited now!

Now here is where our dilemma comes in:

If we go over for a LSD in November and come back, have the baby here (SA), will we be able to take the baby back to the US later next year when we do our final trip over? Or should we have the baby in the US, but which medical will cover me when I am already pregnant and will it not cost and arm and a leg? Quite scary if you are in a new country with no work prospects yet and then obviously I won't be able to work for a while either.

So I have been searching for it online and read something about if you are a permanent resident and have a baby abroad, you can bring the baby into the US within the first 2 years and the baby won't need a passport? Does anyone know anything about this?

Hope someone can help with some advice!

Thanks!

So I have been searching for it online and read something about if you are a permanent resident and have a baby abroad, you can bring the baby into the US within the first 2 years and the baby won't need a passport? Does anyone know anything about this?

Hope someone can help with some advice!

Thanks!

Congrats on the news!

The baby will always need a passport (and make sure you have a birth certificate) but it won't need an immigrant visa under these circumstances - it will be processed as a permanent resident on arrival (note apart from the 2 years it must also be the first time the mother re-enters the US, as far as I recall). It would probably be a good idea to get a "transportation letter" from the embassy as airlines traveling from SA often don't know the ins and outs of people traveling without a "proper visa" or actual green card.

You might want to bear in mind though that if you have it in the US it will be a citizen from birth. With the baby being a citizen, it will qualify for certain help /aid that you or it as a green card holder won't.

Edited by SJ27

Congrats! It looks like 2017 is going to be a VERY big year for you guys!

SJ is right a US born baby (i.e. US Citizen) will qualify for certain benefits etc. Also, without sounding crass, it will also establish a greater connection to the US for you guys, which, should you ever have issues re-entering the US for any reason (while a PR) would serve to strengthen your case and attachment to the US. They don't call them anchor babies here for nothing ;-)

The down side though, as you said, is expense. The hospital cost alone for us last year was about $9k. That was for a 48hrs stay, without any complications, Obgyn delivery costs, visits, scans etc which can easily double that figure. It's certainly not a cheap ride this side of the ocean.

The good news is that Obamacare (aka the Affordable Care Act) ensures that medical insurers in the US can no longer reject your application based on a pre-existing condition. So you should be able to get cover pretty easily, but you may have a high deductible. Although, nowhere near $9k and up. You'll probably also then get to do most of your scans and tests etc in SA for far cheaper and on your existing medical cover.

Seriously, though. Approx when is your expected due date? About March 2017?

If you get issued your DV visas in October, you have up to 6 months to enter the US and activate it. So you could always do your relocation preparation before baby is born with a goal to be in the US by Jan or early Feb and then hit the ground running (or waddling) from there. You can then potentially put any money you would have spent on an LSD visit towards medical costs and settling etc...

A LSD visit in November would technically give you enough time to have baby in SA and then plan your move for later in the year. However, as it has been discussed elsewhere on these forums, any stays outside of the US (without a re-entry permit) longer than 6 months tend to be scrutinized and can potentially cause issues for you at Border Control on your return. Even then there are no guarantees! Especially if you have no established job, no permanent place of residence inside the US and haven't been filing tax returns during your absence. (FYI: your first tax return will also technically be due in April 2017 if you activate your DV visa before Dec 31 2016. Although you should qualify for an extension if you aren't physically present on tax filing day in April 2017.)

So you'd probably be needing to consider getting back to the US by May anyway, then you'll be making the move with a 2 month old baby. Whose birth would have had to be registered, plus an unabridged birth certificate AND passport issued for before you left! Which is asking one heck of a lot to expect of Home Affairs in such a short period of time, especiallly when time is the one thing you definitely won't have much of. So in short a LSD in November and without a re-entry permit for your later return, which you'd have to apply for while you're still within the US (on your LSD visit), would only net you a few extra months.

If you really feel that you have to do an LSD visit and decide to have baby in SA, my suggestion would be to push it back to Dec or Jan if you're comfortable traveling that late in your pregnancy. That'll at least ensure you a better buffer to return on the other side of baby's birth.

Either way, you're in for one heck of an exciting ride!

Good luck and congratulations again!

Excellent advice from Jumping Jason!

Just to add to new baby's born in the USA, is that it can take up to six months to receive a SSN number for the newborn.

Exciting times ahead!

On 10/30/2015 at 4:55 PM, Tarka said:

Possible pregnant? You know there are tests you can do to make sure.. :P My wife is currently pregnant and it looks like our interview and due date will be in the same month. Jan 2016. As I won't be able to unlock my DS-260 by that time anymore, I'll just inform the consulate at the interview that we'll have +1 travelling with.

Hi all,

Funny enough I'm sitting in this exact boat - my DS-260 has been finalised, and I would hopefully be hearing about my interview date soon. My wife is due in about 4 week's time, so I can't go back and add the newborn before the interview.

So my question is whether Tarka's strategy is the best way to go about this (informing the interviewer that we have a newborn that wasn't included on the DS-260)?

Thanks in advance!

You can access /update the DS260 (by emailing KCC to ask them to “unlock” it) until you have an interview scheduled. If the baby is born too late for that, then yes just inform the interviewer (maybe call or email the consulate ahead of time to “warn” them, it can’t hurt). Be sure to apply for a long-form birth certificate and passport as soon as the baby is born. Sounds like you have a very exciting year ahead of you :)

Edited by SJ272