Sign in to follow this  
GoDz85

Chances Of Immigration For A Teacher?

Good day ladies and gents. My wife is a qualified primary school teacher and I see that some states are currently in shortage of teachers. Has anyone successful immigrated to the states as a teacher? Is it very difficult to apply for jobs from SA? We have been keen on immigrating to the US or Canada for years but now I believe it's our time.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum GoDZ85

For your wife (or you) to get a work visa, you have to "get" an employer to sponsor you. (if you already work for a (US) company more than a year, they can apply for a transfer (L) visa for you- don't think this will apply in your case).

As teachers are employed by the school district, I don't see how they will sponsor anyone from abroad, unless that person has a really exceptional academic ability / subject knowledge not otherwise found in local (US) candidates.

Becoming a teacher in the US, you have to be certified / licensed in your state.

Think you will be easier accommodated in Canada than US. To put it bluntly.

If you are set for the US, you should investigate all the visa options, but you can enter the DV (greencard) lottery. It closes by end of THIS weekend.

www.dvlottery.state.gov

Look at the J1 visa (this is a non-immigrant visa) that is an exchange type visa, and TEACHER is one of the categories for which you can apply. The spouse can get a J2 visa, and in most cases, unlike the dependent of an H1-b, the spouse can work. The official government site which lays out the information on this visa is here:

http://j1visa.state.gov/programs

There is a link to the organizations which are authorized to sponsor teachers here:

http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/sponsor-search/?program=Teacher

(you can see this includes some state departments of education - such as those in Florida and California, as well as the Chicago Public Schools etc.)

Again, note that this is not an immigrant visa - i.e. does not entitle you to permanent residency in the USA, but may be worth investigating as a start.

Don't all school teachers have to have a license to teach in the state they are teaching in? Not sure how easy/difficult these are to get, if it's pretty straightforward or not?