Sign in to follow this  
Pickles

Some Questions

It is really interesting to read all the advice provided, so here is my 2 cents worth.

If getting a job already creates a big headache for you, then go ahead and contact some recruiters and arrange to visit them during your LSD. I did just that and it makes a great impression on them and the employers when they can confirm they had a face to face interview with you. I got a great job because of that, even though we were still staying in SA. It did mean that I had to pack up and move to the States a bit earlier than planned, while my husband stayed back in SA to finish his job responsibilities. But it was all worth it, and we had much less to worry about.

In terms of the SSN, my advice is to also apply for it during your LSD. It is a very important piece of paper (E.g. You need the SSN when applying for rent, getting a job etc.), so rather be pro-active by going to the Social Security Administration offices to apply, than hoping it would arrive when you've moved here. You'll need an addrees in the state where you apply for the SSN, so we got a mail box at the UPS store which provide you with a street address. This also helped to get a bank account opened, also while still on the LSD.

Thanks Kanniewaggie! So can we go to any Social Security office? Regardless of whether we will be settling in that area or not? What do we take with us? Just passport? Will definitely look into the UPS mail box but I don't suppose the green cards can be delivered to that?

Tinjana, you need to have the address for the same area where you go to the Social Security Office. So if you for instance look at staying in Austin, get the mailbox there and go to the office in Austin. You will be completing forms, including your address where they will be sending the social security cards (the ups address). Take your passports with the immigrant visa and birth certificates also for additional reference. You can also check the social security website for more details.

The Ups store can forward your mail to you in SA at an additional cost, but I think it might be a bit risky to have your greencards send that way. We provided the address of some friends for the greencards, and they then couriered the cards to us. Normal post in SA is way too risky.

Kanniewaggie, on 06 Mar 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

You can also check the social security website for more details.

Website

Thanks Kanniewaggie! So can we go to any Social Security office? Regardless of whether we will be settling in that area or not? What do we take with us? Just passport? Will definitely look into the UPS mail box but I don't suppose the green cards can be delivered to that?

The postman will certainly not deliver green cards to a UPS box. I have even seen cases reported where they will not deliver them to a street address if, for example, it's an apartment with somebody else's name on. There are particular rules USPS has to follow with respect to USCIS mail (another one for example is that they can't forward it like they can ordinary mail).

I've done some research on accommodation, hotels, motels etc.

I came across Airbnb www.airbnb.com

It is a site much like Uber (to make a simple example).

You can either rent a house/apartment for a long period of time (extended stay) or

alternatively share a room in a house.

It looks very interesting and quite affordable....

In my circumstance...(single guy), I would really consider it seeing that you will get first hand advice from the host.

There is even a number of reviews, photos and map of the property.

Hope my 2 cents help :-)

Is there anybody that has used a similar service?

Question:

I just wanna make sure I'm reading this right.

IRS says: "The FBAR is a calendar year report and must be filed on or before June 30 of the year following the calendar year being reported."

So, if I just got here and became an LPR in January, I don't need to file the FBAR until next year, after I will have filed my 2016 taxes, correct?

Thanks guys.

Question:

I just wanna make sure I'm reading this right.

IRS says: "The FBAR is a calendar year report and must be filed on or before June 30 of the year following the calendar year being reported."

So, if I just got here and became an LPR in January, I don't need to file the FBAR until next year, after I will have filed my 2016 taxes, correct?

Thanks guys.

Correct, just bear in mind that painfully you have to report the highest balance during the year rather than as at a particular date, so keep this in mind if you have lots of ins and outs!