Sign in to follow this  
Wanydp

Daycare / Schooling Options

Hi there

My husband and I are looking to relocate in the next 6 months to the USA (probably NY / NJ).

We have 2 young children (3 years and 6 months) and would appreciate some insight / advice into daycare / preschool options for them as I will need to work full time when I am there. Currently in SA my 3 year old is at 1/2 day preschool and my baby is with a full time nanny at home.

Thanks!

We did not have to pay for child care, because I was a stay-home-dad. But, child care is expensive and many, many mothers (or fathers) prefer to stay at home with the kids, because it works out to be either cheaper, or breaking even.

The links below might give you some idea of what the costs look like.

1). Average cost of childcare by state

2). Price of childcare - NJ

3). Interactive map - NJ

PS. Which visas did you obtain?

Why not also look at options like having an Au Pair? It might be worth weighing the options...

Why not also look at options like having an Au Pair? It might be worth weighing the options...

Supposedly cheaper than a nanny, but everyone I know with an au pair here has an "au pair suite" they live in - so it assumes that you have at least one spare bed, bath and possibly even kitchenette, preferably with a separate entrance. For someone on a budget, the extra rent involved in that probably offsets any childcare cost saving, even assuming you don't mind someone else living in your space.

Hi Wanydp,

Maybe I can help with info regarding au pairs.

I used to be an au pair to a wonderful family in Boston in 2000.

I applied from SA with an agency called Au Pair Discover. My host mum did mention that they paid the agency a $5000 agency fee. The agency does through checks on applicants from all over the world. Based on the requirements of the family , the agency will "match" you up with a few applicants and then you make the decision. I just want to point out herr that once a match is made then the agency will arrange for the au pair to be flown to the US. This is usually done with quite a few other au pairs. Costs of flights etc are paid for by the au pair. All au pairs arrive in New York for 3 day orientation (this is intense training and all the girls are made aware of all the rules and regulations of the US and the agency). So you can be rest assured that the au pair that will join your family is fully aware of what is expected of her and how to appropriately adjust to your family life. The rules that are set out by the agency are extremely strict and the au pair can be sent back to their home countries should they not abide by them.

I was paid $175 per week for 40 hours of child care (if I remember correctly). I do remember that the au pair must have a full day and 1/2 off per week. The host parents also have to ensure that the au pair attends an educational course (cost to host parents $500).

The au pair gets 2 weeks paid vacation in that year. The au pair belongs to a group of au pairs in the area that are monitored by an agency representative. So if there are any issues and a re-match is required, the rep will get involved and everything is handled in a dignified and respectful manner.

This was a wonderful opportunity for young girls to travel and earn some pocket money in the process. I really enjoyed my year as an au pair and still keep in contact with my host family.

Hope this gives you some insight in the wonderful world of au pairing ;)

Edited by August

Forgot to mention that the au pair does need her own room ( not necessarily her own bathroom). No other requirements regarding living space. If you require for the au pair to drive you will need to provide a car.