Sign in to follow this  
Wanydp

L-2 Employment Authorization Document

Hi all

I have received a job offer with my current employer in the USA, who are applying for an L1 Visa for me.

From my understanding my husband will get an L2 visa, which means he can work for any employer.

However apparently he can only apply for an employment authorisation document (EAD) once he arrives.

Does anyone have any experience in this? How long does it take to get this authorisation?

Is it just a paper filling exercise, or is there a chance he may not get it and therefore will not be able to work?

When does he start applying for jobs: before we leave, once we arrive or only after we have the EAD?

thanks!

Hi all

I have received a job offer with my current employer in the USA, who are applying for an L1 Visa for me.

From my understanding my husband will get an L2 visa, which means he can work for any employer.

However apparently he can only apply for an employment authorisation document (EAD) once he arrives.

Does anyone have any experience in this? How long does it take to get this authorisation?

Is it just a paper filling exercise, or is there a chance he may not get it and therefore will not be able to work?

When does he start applying for jobs: before we leave, once we arrive or only after we have the EAD?

thanks!

While I don't know L2 specifically, in general: if he is ok to work on the visa there is no reason he won't get an EAD. It can take a while after filing the paperwork, I'm not sure what the current wait time is (it will be some weeks if not a couple of months, probably). While there is probably nothing to stop him applying for jobs before he gets the EAD, he can't start work before he gets it. Better to at least get a better idea of how long it will take to get the document before you start applying for jobs, you don't want to keep a potential employer waiting indefinitely. Also if you don't specifically have the right to work when you apply and are able to state so on a resume, it may be immediately discarded by the recruitment staff.

Congratulations on the job offer! Exciting times ahead!

Edited by SJ27