BLISS

2017 Draw Results

170 posts in this topic

As you are eagerly awaiting the draw, I am watching the Bulletin like a mad person. There has been a big jump from Feb/Mar to April, so our possible August interview could move up to June/July. I must admit, I never knew winning this GC lotto would have so many more months of anticipation. Patience, I know. Good luck to all in the draw.

2 people like this

As you are eagerly awaiting the draw, I am watching the Bulletin like a mad person. There has been a big jump from Feb/Mar to April, so our possible August interview could move up to June/July. I must admit, I never knew winning this GC lotto would have so many more months of anticipation. Patience, I know. Good luck to all in the draw.

Good luck! Do you have your birth & marriage certificates etc all waiting?

SJ27 my file is ready with all unabridged everything, police clearances for SA and abroad, etc, 2 copies of all and all certified. I do think we are ready. The only thing I suppose standing between us and the US is if they deem us unfit for some reason. Holding thumbs and hoping we get an interview as our number has not come up yet and is 42#####. Reading the forums etc you do realize that even though you have won, there are so many other variables. Would love know how many South Africans have been granted green cards this year. At least my husband and I are firm believers in the "if it is meant to be" it will happen.

1 person likes this

SJ27 my file is ready with all unabridged everything, police clearances for SA and abroad, etc, 2 copies of all and all certified. I do think we are ready. The only thing I suppose standing between us and the US is if they deem us unfit for some reason. Holding thumbs and hoping we get an interview as our number has not come up yet and is 42#####. Reading the forums etc you do realize that even though you have won, there are so many other variables. Would love know how many South Africans have been granted green cards this year. At least my husband and I are firm believers in the "if it is meant to be" it will happen.

When were the police clearances done? Check they don't expire before the interview.

If all your forms are in order, the entry was accurate and you don't have a criminal record, you shouldn't have any problems being granted a visa. Good luck!

SJ27 we received them last week so all should be good. Thank you for the well wishes.

1 person likes this

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is well.

Just a quick question - do we need to register our interview appointment online after receipt of the letter from KCC or do we just attend the interview on the interview date?

The instructions from the SA Embassy/Consulate indicate that you need to register your appointment, however when I try to register I always receive an error message that my case number is not ready to schedule an appointment (this despite the fact that I have already received an interview date from KCC).

Anyone who has recently been for the interview, can you please advise the correct process?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi Suzy,

You just attend the interview on the date and time provided to you on the "official notice for you to pursue your application for a DV-20xx visa".

Take all your documentation and the money to pay the Visa Fee (I used a credit card).

You should also schedule and attend your medical prior to the interview.

My interview was early in August and I did my medical during July (2 weeks prior to the interview).

Regards,

G

Edited by Gieds

Thank you Gieds for your assistance !

Much appreciated :) Have scheduled my medical so all should be fine.

Have a good day!

Suzy :)

2 people like this

Hi Suzy, looked at the DV Bulletin last night and shows "current" and possibly means everyone under 50 000 will be assisted. Would love to know when your appointment is and if your number was in the 20's, 30's, 40's. I cannot actually contain myself any longer. Our number is low 40's. Best of luck.

Awesome news that it's gone current for everyone! Good luck for the remaining applicants for this year :)

Hi Suzy, looked at the DV Bulletin last night and shows "current" and possibly means everyone under 50 000 will be assisted.

It means everyone will be called for an interview, not just those under 50000

Just wanted to say hello to everyone on this forum, while it is our first time posting on this website, it has been so unbelievably helpful to us.

We want to post the information about our long, patient, stressful, exciting, (the adjectives could go on forever) journey in the DV Lottery 2017. 

We entered the lottery in October 2015. It was our first time entering and we entered as a family, (husband, wife & daughter 2 years old). We never gave it much of a thought in the months after, until the selection results were released in May 2016. Much to our amazement, after tirelessly trying to login - we were selected! 

We submitted our DS-260 forms at the end of July 2016 and received the case number: 2017AF00006XXX.

We started gathering the required documents for what felt like months beforehand. Unabridged Marriage Certificate & 1 family member Unabridged Birth Certificate took the longest to get (+/- 5 months). We went and did our police clearances in the meantime which actually ended up expiring before our interview but it was easy enough to get a reprint while they were still in the system.

After endless days, weeks, months of eagerly waiting for an interview date, we finally received the letter at the end of January, stating our interview was scheduled on the 7th of March 2017 - 1pm.

We completed the 2 day medical examination in Sandton - which was very efficient.

We also decided to exchange our ZAR’s into USD’s while the rate was good to pay the $330 fee per person for the interview at the US Consulate in Johannesburg.

Finally, after the most stressful few weeks prior to the interview and after reading as much as possible online, going through our documents & file a thousand times - the day had arrived.

We parked in Sandton City, walked across the road & were outside the consulate in Sandton at 12pm & sat on the benches to wait. We were called through security at exactly 1pm, they let us in first as we had my daughter in her stroller to avoid mayhem once inside. 

Once we were entered the building, we were given the number 1 and told to sit down wait until our number was called.

After a few moments of nervously waiting, our number was called. We went to the booth where a South African lady asked me to hand over all the supporting documents. We gave them only the documents that they requested plus one copy of each (marriage certificate you need 2 copies).

We were then processed to the payments window booth, where we paid our fees and were told to sit and wait for our number to be called again.

We waited a tiny bit longer this time and finally our #1 was called again. We went to the window and were greeted by an American woman this time. She made us raise our hands and told us we were under oath.

She continued to ask us a few questions:

Where do you plan to live in the US?
What work do we both do?
Who we will be staying with and do they have enough space in their house for you?
Do you intend to work in the US?
What jobs do our family in the US have?
How long until we move to the US?

She then asked us our I-134 Affidavit of Support, which we had luckily completed and she indicated that this only helps your case at the end of the day.

After a few more taps on her computer keyboard, she said “I am going to approve you for your visas today”. I basically just looked at her and immediately asked if we were approved in utter shock - she replied, “Yes, your family has been approved your green cards today.” Tears of joy, happiness and absolute relief came next proceeded by a few jumps of joy and high fives between the family in the courtyard outside.

It’s a completely insane feeling, our family is just so over the moon with happiness and very relieved the process is over. All that for no more than an hour interview process - which was basically exactly as we had read, a procedure. We really feel now having gone through this process, that if you have all the documents that they require from you and additional documents that they might not ask for - just to make you feel better - everything should be A for Away.

The next day at around 11am we received a phone call from the same American lady who had interviewed us, she said that the consulate had forgotten to take our old passports in order to de-activate our current 10 year US Travel visa’s. They asked if we wouldn’t mind bringing them in that day between 1pm & 4pm for them to cancel the 10 year visa’s and to said that we could collect our current passports with the immigrant visa’s issued inside at the same time. Within 20 hours of our interview, we had our passports back with our visa’s inside and the sealed document folder to hand to the immigration officers on entering the US.

We actually pinch ourselves sometimes & just cannot believe our luck! We are anticipating our move to Atlanta before September this year.

We hope this tiny bit of information helps. And we really look forward to becoming an active part of this forum!

Edited by thehofs
1 person likes this

Thanks for posting - always nice to get a detailed first hand account for those who worry about the whole interview process in particular.  So many people get wound up about the whole interview thing, as it is hard to believe it is so simple and straightforward as it is.

Good luck as you head to Atlanta - just remember to land BEFORE the expiration of your visas - visas are normally valid for 6 months - so just check that  - if you had your interview on 22 January - landing in September would be too late?

Thank you Malamute for your reply, I put the incorrect interview date on my post which I have now edited. We received our interview letter on the 22nd January & our interview was the on the 7th of March.

We are aware we have to go within 6 months, deadline date is 2 September. Planning to go mid to late July. 

Edited by thehofs

[at]thehofs

Congrats

nothing beats that overwhelming/ exciting feeling. - more to come. You might feel overwhelmed in the next few months, and even the first few months after arriving. You will feel homesick and wonder why you did decide what you decided. It is a good idea to journal your emotions- and reasons for wanting to move. You will need this as reminders.

Yes you will have to do your First Entry before Sept 7th or your Immigration visa would be invalid.

You do however have 12months After your First Entry to physically move to the US. 

I assume you're going to live with Family in Atlanta- as per your post? This makes it much easier, as the initial move can be exciting and daunting at the same time.

Though entry level jobs are bounty full, higher paying and more experienced jobs are hard to come by. (because most employers believe in US experience and education) Depending on what you and your husband are qualified to work as, you might have to have an open mind on changing industries or re-writing exams to be qualified or licensed to work in your particular field.

But don't worry to much- you are half way there in settling in and getting the hang of it- (with family's know how)

If I understand correctly, Atlanta is also one of the Saffa hubs (with Houston TX and San Diego CA?), making it easier when you get homesick (and yes you will)

We have been back in the US for 3 FULL months now. After an initial 6 months stay back in 2015 and a return to SA for 1 1/2 years (we applied for re entry permits).