Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BLISS

2017 Draw Results

Recommended Posts

One of the most frustrating things is cancelling your TV license.  You need a signed affidavit (done in front of a commissioner of oaths).  If you give away your TV, or sell it, you have to include the name, ID nr and TV license number of that person.  Numerous people - myself included - were hounded despite doing that (I even attached photocopies of the person's ID and their license number).  Beware of saying 'well, it doesn't matter, I'm leaving the country, how will they know etc.  You could return to SA on holiday, only to find that there is a summons or something for you.

(They hounded my late father's estate for 2 years, despite the fact that I had said form  - with the details of the person who inherited the TV, and a certified copy of his death certificate, and delivered that in person, by hand, to the SABC offices myself).

Good news is - no TV license needed in the USA!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, adventurer1 said:

[at]SJ272, if I remember correctly one off your girls are 14+, right?

Was she under 14 when you arrived? Do we need to take the kids for Bio Metrics when they turn 14?

I think this question was answered or asked a year or so ago. I can't remember if any one had actual experience in this regard?

I just actually want to know if you have to make an appointment or walk in, and if it can be done at your local USCIS "Field" / Immigration office

and what you need to take

 

 

You need to fill in an I90 form (you can do it online and pay the fees online too), be careful to follow the instructions for child turning 14 as there are many different options for this form. You will then get a notice to appear for the biometrics - ours came pretty quickly, I think we got the notification a couple of weeks after submission and the appointment was for 2 or 3 weeks later. Remember that often the place you have biometrics done is not the same as the usual field office. They tell you what to take, we had to show our appointment notice - I can't remember if we had to bring anything else. Then...you wait for months on end for the new card so don't lose the old one in the meanwhile!

I can't remember the fees exactly, but if you don't do it within a certain period after the child's 14th birthday the fee is much higher. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Malamute said:

One of the most frustrating things is cancelling your TV license.  You need a signed affidavit (done in front of a commissioner of oaths).  If you give away your TV, or sell it, you have to include the name, ID nr and TV license number of that person.  Numerous people - myself included - were hounded despite doing that (I even attached photocopies of the person's ID and their license number).  Beware of saying 'well, it doesn't matter, I'm leaving the country, how will they know etc.  You could return to SA on holiday, only to find that there is a summons or something for you.

(They hounded my late father's estate for 2 years, despite the fact that I had said form  - with the details of the person who inherited the TV, and a certified copy of his death certificate, and delivered that in person, by hand, to the SABC offices myself).

Good news is - no TV license needed in the USA!

 

We brought our TV with to the US and had to include the page of the movers' inventory showing the TV listed!  It's ridiculous. 

I have no idea whether or not it made into their records properly but I've never heard from them again.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SJ272 said:

You need to fill in an I90 form (you can do it online and pay the fees online too), be careful to follow the instructions for child turning 14 as there are many different options for this form. You will then get a notice to appear for the biometrics - ours came pretty quickly, I think we got the notification a couple of weeks after submission and the appointment was for 2 or 3 weeks later. Remember that often the place you have biometrics done is not the same as the usual field office. They tell you what to take, we had to show our appointment notice - I can't remember if we had to bring anything else. Then...you wait for months on end for the new card so don't lose the old one in the meanwhile!

I can't remember the fees exactly, but if you don't do it within a certain period after the child's 14th birthday the fee is much higher. 

Thank you

I see the $455 fee is waived if the Green Card is still valid After you turn 16.

Also see that it is suppose to be filed within 30days after turning 14- we are a month late

The instructions are very confusing I must admit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, adventurer1 said:

Thank you

I see the $455 fee is waived if the Green Card is still valid After you turn 16.

Also see that it is suppose to be filed within 30days after turning 14- we are a month late

The instructions are very confusing I must admit

Yes that was what I was referring to - the 30 days after turning 14 (I didn't remember what the actual # of days was in my previous post). That means you need to pay the replacement green card fee as well as the biometrics fee. We had to pay the extra fee even though the green card was still valid well after 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 10:27 PM, Malamute said:

(They hounded my late father's estate for 2 years, despite the fact that I had said form  - with the details of the person who inherited the TV, and a certified copy of his death certificate, and delivered that in person, by hand, to the SABC offices myself).

 

Oh no - I am busy winding up the estate of my late brother and I am not looking forward to that part of the process!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 10:42 PM, SJ272 said:

We brought our TV with to the US and had to include the page of the movers' inventory showing the TV listed!  It's ridiculous. 

I have no idea whether or not it made into their records properly but I've never heard from them again.

 

 

You can go look on sabc.co.za and see if it shows anything outstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are one week away from moving out and taking a road trip to say our good byes.  Not focusing on the US at all right now.  Nothing more I can sort from our side.  Will have to hit the ground running.  Thank you all so much again for your support.  The next time I speak to someone who has sold everything, I WILL REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN.  Anyway, let me get on with it.  Like the saying goes - dis die klein jakkalsies - that we are still busy with.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, moving2018 said:

We are one week away from moving out and taking a road trip to say our good byes.  Not focusing on the US at all right now.  Nothing more I can sort from our side.  Will have to hit the ground running.  Thank you all so much again for your support.  The next time I speak to someone who has sold everything, I WILL REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN.  Anyway, let me get on with it.  Like the saying goes - dis die klein jakkalsies - that we are still busy with.  

Best of luck!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give an update, after postponing our interview which was due in November last year, we managed to get our interview on the 29th of August. 

We didn't take any sort of financial documents with to the interview, when they asked us,we said that it didn't indicate we have to take anything with. He then asked if we know anyone in the US, to which we replied yes and long story short, our visas have been approved! 

What an exhausting year, but at least it is all over and done with now! Good luck to anyone else. 

Edited by lizekie
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dreamland said:

wow congratulations lizie,all the best ,do you get your Visa on the spot or is it sent to you after sometime?

[at]dreamland, you usually receive your Passport with visa printed/pasted in it after 3 days (you do have the option (pay) to have it couriered to you)

You will receive a go ahead immediately after interview(if approved) at the consulate with instructions (picking up or courier option)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the most exhausting year of our lives we finally arrived in the US yesterday.  Border control being the last stop of this process had us worried as we are not in until they pass us.  What an experience.  They were so friendly and welcoming.  What a surprise.  As expected we ended up having to cancel almost everything twice in SA as you need to follow up on everything.  Even Telkom which I thought was done properly I had to go and pay them 1c.  Yes, 1c.  So today it all begins.  We are so ready for this. [at]LIzekie.  Congrats.  A journey well worth it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, moving2018 said:

After the most exhausting year of our lives we finally arrived in the US yesterday. 

Congratulations on making it at last and good luck.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other forums are reporting that the annual limit for DV2017 has been reached. One poster doing adjustment of status in the US received a cancellation notice for her interview, stating "On Friday, September 8, 2017, the US Department of State released a memorandum effective immediately informing that no further authorizations will be made in response to requests for Diversity Visa (DV) cases for the remainder of fiscal year 2017 because the maximum level of numbers which were available for use on a worldwide basis for DV applicants during fiscal year 2017 had been reached."

It seems this only affects people doing adjustment of status, those waiting for administrative processing to finish and those who rescheduled interviews- people who were assigned a September interview date by KCC directly are apparently ok as they are supposed to have visas set aside for them, whereas the others mentioned above are requested after the interview.  

Maybe something also to keep in mind for those doing DV2018 where it seems there are an awful lot of selectees - especially re getting your forms in and trying to avoid rescheduling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...