Sign in to follow this  
BLISS

2017 Draw Results

The answer to this given by SJ27 above is the most accurate best answer about funds. Stop looking for an actual $$ number - it does not exist. As SJ27 says, it depends on your personal circumstances, including age, employability, number of dependents, health of you and dependents, whether or not you have a job offer in the USA, whether or not you have family you are going to and so on. You must simply demonstrate you will not become a public charge.

The best way to describe this is in the instructions of the DV lottery itself, Frequently asked question 38:

38. If I receive a visa through the DV program, will the U.S. government pay for my airfare to the United States, help me find housing and employment, and/or provide healthcare or any subsidies until I am fully settled? No. The U.S. government will not provide any of these services to you if you receive a visa through the DV program. If you are selected to apply for a DV, you must demonstrate that you will not become a public charge in the United States before being issued a visa. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) submitted by a relative or friend residing in the United States, an offer of employment from an employer in the United States, or other evidence.

Thank you everyone for all the advice! Really appreciate it all!

I do have some news to share...

We had to postpone our interview as I am having difficulties with my pregnancy. Baby will be due beginning April, so the Consulate has told me that I can let them know when we are ready and they will give us a new date. Must say that the Consulate was very understanding, the people I spoke to were very nice and everything was confirmed over email as well. I did ask if this will negatively effect our chances and they said no as our case is extreme and they understand the postponement, so will have to see what next year brings.

A bit disappointing but it is a much safer option at the moment.

Will keep you guys updated like always. :)

Thank you for accepting me on the site. We got selected in the 2nd draw, September 2016. Totally surreal. Documents now all in order, so sitting around waiting for the interview. Hoping that all will work out.

• Like 1

[at] OP1985. Apparently USA had a second draw for SA. We had done a 3 year entry through USAFIS and they advised. Was sceptical at first but turns out all ligit. Our number valid and also on USA visa/consulate site. Applications in and waiting for date. Have received confirmation of receipt from KCC as well.

• Like 1

Which 2nd draw took place in September 2016 ? Could you please provide more info :) . Thanks

They sometimes do a second draw if they don't think they've received enough interest (as evidenced by returned DS260s) to meet the 50k issuance target. They don't advertise it when they do though .... but that's why they advise people to keep their numbers. Always a good idea to check again in October if not selected in May.

Moving2018, I hope you haven't had any family changes etc since the info you gave usafis, assuming they have been using the same info and photos to enter every year? ( I personally don't understand why people pay a company to enter something that is easy and free, and has the potential to disqualify one by entering old information on a multi year agreement? Or did you send updated photo and info every year?)

Edited by SJ27
  • Like 1

SJ27 All info still in order. My husband was in charge of that and to be honest in retrospect the money paid was well worth it I think. We will see when interview comes up if it was possibly a mistake using a third party. Thank you for clearing up the 2nd draw question. Starting thinking I may be giving incorrect info. The application and paperwork I am doing myself as that is no problem. They merely just did the entry for us.

• Like 1

SJ27 All info still in order. My husband was in charge of that and to be honest in retrospect the money paid was well worth it I think. We will see when interview comes up if it was possibly a mistake using a third party. Thank you for clearing up the 2nd draw question. Starting thinking I may be giving incorrect info. The application and paperwork I am doing myself as that is no problem. They merely just did the entry for us.

People have been denied before because these agencies used old info when the family had kids born, or used old photos - apparently the consulates are becoming more strict about enforcing the "recent" rule for photos. (The software can apparently now check if the photo is an exact duplicate of a previous year's entry.)

I'm curious - not to belabor it but - when you say the money was well worth it, what did they do that you couldn't do yourself? After all you must have given them all the same info that goes into the entry form so there can hardly be a time saving, and there is no complexity in the form to worry about it ...?

Hi SJ27. To be 100% honest my husband did it, so it was only once we won that I actually started looking into it. Only then did I realize what all could have been done differently etc. This was a 1 in ????? chance so I am really just happy about the outcome.

Congratulations [at]moving2018 !!! You are extremely fortunate :)

I can only imagine how many people have been selected on the second draw who is not even aware of it because they only checked the website when the results were released in May. Dis nou 'n jammerte ne'

• Like 1

Congratulations [at]moving2018 !!! You are extremely fortunate :)

I can only imagine how many people have been selected on the second draw who is not even aware of it because they only checked the website when the results were released in May. Dis nou 'n jammerte ne'

People have in the past also reported, though, that they received an email from KCC telling them to check the website again. And when they do they will find out they were selected. I'm assuming in this case that email went to USAFIS as they did the entry.

• Like 1

Moving2018, al wat ek kan sê is: Baie, baie geluk!

En nou, laat die mallemeule-rit begin! :) Moeilike dae lê voor - laat daar nie twyfel wees nie - maar soos wat die tyd verbygaan, en soos 'n mens meer vertroud raak met dinge en mense rondom jou, só raak die dae al hoe beter, makliker en lekkerder.

Alle sterkte vorentoe! :)

• Like 1

I know it`s still early days but it`s that time of the year when the excitement starts building up for me .... Counting down the months, weeks, days until the 2018 lottery results are released :) :) :)

I must admit all this talk about the Lottery "potentially" being cancelled has been extremely discouraging for me and some of the members on this forum who have been the beneficiaries of the DV lottery are in support of having the lottery program cancelled :(

But I can only just remain hopeful that the outcome will be favourable. :) :) :)

Edited by OP1985
  • Like 1

I know it`s still early days but it`s that time of the year when the excitement starts building up for me .... Counting down the months, weeks, days until the 2018 lottery results are released :) :) :)

Only 61 days for us to wait....

I must admit all this talk about the Lottery "potentially" being cancelled has been extremely discouraging for me and some of the members on this forum who have been the beneficiaries of the DV lottery are in support of having the lottery program cancelled :(

Shocking! I agree 100%

Good luck to all.