Sign in to follow this  
HJF

Question Regarding Spouse Of An Eb3

We just collected our passports and we have our permanent residency visas and visa packets in hand! Needless to say we are very excited but we have one question and I am finding it a bit difficult to find a clear answer and was hoping someone here can help.

My wife is the primary applicant and her visa class is E31. My visa is for the spouse of an EB3 and the class is E34. My questions is can I work on the E34 or will there be something I need to do before I will be allowed to start working.

Thanks

From USCIS.gov website: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-third-preference-eb-3

Family of EB-3 Visa Holders

Your spouse may be admitted to the United States in E34 (spouse of a “skilled worker” or “professional”) or EW4 (spouse of an “other worker”). During the process where you and your spouse are applying for permanent resident status (status as a green card holder), your spouse is eligible to file for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Your minor children (under the age of 21) may be admitted as E35 (child of a “skilled worker” or “professional”) or EW5 (child of an “other worker”).

Now I am by no means an expert on the subject but I understood that a permanent residence stamp in the passport (And GC for that matter) was an I-551

Does this mean that the EB3 Visa is a "step on the way to a Greencard"??? Or does the fact that you, as the spouse, require an EAD simply mean that your wife is the permanent resident and you still have to apply?

The US visa / immigration system has so many variables and permutations that it is very confusing!!!

...... and we have our permanent residency visas and visa packets in hand!

I cannot shed light on your question but from what I recall USCIS calls a "permanent residency visa" an Immigrant Visa, not a "permanent residency visa".

If you have an Immigrant visa, then, upon entry into the US, it becomes a temporary I-551 (Green Card). If you do not have an immigrant visa then you do not have Permanent Residency status but temporary residency status.