Sign in to follow this  
Boskraai

Moving To Usa 2016

All the pet transport crates have to be iata-spec or the airlines won’t fly them. 

One of the cheaper quotes we got (though not by much) was BA, and the flight to SF is longer than to Philadelphia so that wouldn’t explain the difference. Maybe there’s some kind of non-proportional price increase as the crates get bigger? im guessing part of it is the fall in the rand since we left too,  it was around 10/$ at that time. Rand prices of everything seem to have shot up dramatically since we left. I agree with your sentiments, couldn’t imagine leaving our fur baby behind. 

17 hours ago, SJ272 said:

All the pet transport crates have to be iata-spec or the airlines won’t fly them. 

One of the cheaper quotes we got (though not by much) was BA, and the flight to SF is longer than to Philadelphia so that wouldn’t explain the difference. Maybe there’s some kind of non-proportional price increase as the crates get bigger? im guessing part of it is the fall in the rand since we left too,  it was around 10/$ at that time. Rand prices of everything seem to have shot up dramatically since we left. I agree with your sentiments, couldn’t imagine leaving our fur baby behind. 

For sure.  We were around 14:1 when she came over.

On 3/28/2018 at 2:27 AM, SJ272 said:

Wow, for one pet?! What size was it? Ours was a few years ago now admittedly but was around R10k, for a cat so I guess a dog would be a bit more but not 4x! They did all the same stuff yours did by the sounds of things. There were cheaper quotes for other airlines, they do a bunch of them, but we chose KLM.

Phew, glad there are cheaper options. The research continues...