Sign in to follow this  
Boskraai

Moving To Usa 2016

Hello Everybody! My husband, two grown daughters and I are headed for the US of A. The company my husband works for got bought by an American firm about two years ago. At that time our oldest daughter, then in her teens, was suffering from Chronic Fatigue (ME) and we started toying with the idea of moving to the US to get her treatment. She was miraculously healed last year April, but by then we'd got the bit between our teeth! Our youngest daughter (19 now) has been admitted to a community college in Iowa and is due to start in August, our oldest is busy applying at the Savannah College of Art and Design to start in Sept and my husband has been offered a job in Atlanta. The company will pay for most of our transfer there. But, the thing that is driving me absolutely wild is the time the company is taking to come back to us on anything. It took them 6 months to make a verbal offer. (btw, it is an inter-company transfer, so how hard can it get!) We are due to leave our home in Durban in 6 week's time for hubby to be in Atlanta in time to start work, but the company has not yet done anything about our visas (which they said they would take care of so I cannot just go ahead and do it). Our house still needs to sell, I still need to find work for my maid and gardener and a home for my one dog (the other three pets are coming with). And the SA economy is so down that in the first 4 weeks of having our house on the market, no-one came to look at it!! The stress is killing me!!! I'm sure you're all familiar with the situation... ;)

But, on the positive side, we are as prepared for the trip as can be. We know that we'll have to do without friends, family, maid, gardener, Afrikaans, rooibos tea and mieliepap. :D We know that moving to a foreign country means keeping your mouth shut, smiling widely and ADAPTING like mad. We've done it before and can do it again. Hubby and I want to have one Grand Adventure before we grow old, and this is IT. :)

So, nou ja, nou weet julle ook wie ek is. Thanks a million for this site! It is my go-to place for comfort and information.

• Like 1

Wow, sounds exciting and stressful!

And yes, the company has to do the visas, you can't apply for them in a company transfer situation.

Not much else to say other than hope they get it sorted quick and you get all your logistics sorted - you certainly have the right attitude for moving - best of luck! By the way there is a very large SA community in Atlanta. Also it's not difficult to get rooibos in the US, just more expensive than back home ;)

Great new about the SA community in Atlanta and the info on visas! :) And, yes, I'm sure rooibos is available in the US, but at the rate I drink it it's going to be mighty expensive!!

Thanks for your encouragement. I need all I can get at the moment. :/

There is a South African shop and a South African restaurant in Atlanta too.

Note: Is your older daughter still under 21? If not, she will not be eligible to piggyback as a dependent on your husband's visa, and will need to have a different visa, e.g. student visa.

Sounds like you have a lot going on, and on your plate, but stick with it, and most of all, push on the visas if you can. Good luck!

Thank you for the awesome introduction! My husband and I and our 3 dogs also intend to move to the USA soon but when or to where exactly are still unkowns. It is proving so difficult so apply to jobs from South Africa... And we are so scared to just move without any security. I shudder at the thought of how quickly our money will dwindle when there without income! Anyway! Good luck and keep us posted!! Will you be in a house that side with all your dogs?

Thank you for the awesome introduction! My husband and I and our 3 dogs also intend to move to the USA soon but when or to where exactly are still unkowns. It is proving so difficult so apply to jobs from South Africa... And we are so scared to just move without any security. I shudder at the thought of how quickly our money will dwindle when there without income! Anyway! Good luck and keep us posted!! Will you be in a house that side with all your dogs?

Many DV winners do it that way...research where is a good area for jobs for your profession, and that you like, and take the plunge. Some strike it lucky first place they land, others end up moving once or twice. It's not unheard of for people to land jobs from SA, but it is pretty rare.

Edited by SJ27

Six weeks? Relax! That's plenty still... :-)

We had exactly 2 weeks (like in 14 days) minus 2 days that we waited on the job offer to get signed, minus another 2 days worth of flight time, which left us with 10 days only...! In those 10 days we had to turn around our SA lives from a having had a fully furnished 4-BR house in SA, two cars, etc. to booking flights, hotels, rental cars, transferring leadership responsibilities at church, body corporate, etc. etc.

Sold both cars in a day, sold all electronics and appliances, packed entire household into boxes and stored it in the garage, found tenants, closed bank accounts, etc. - all in those 10 days. Even had to buy a new Laptop in the US the day before I had started the new job! Plus we had to make special arrangements for our son in a wheelchair, his medication, catheters, etc.

Later we sold the house from overseas, had relatives sorting our house content in the garage (while we directed them over Skype) and finally brought across only the stuff we needed in a 6m container - all without ever having visited SA again since we left the country more than 4yrs ago. It's kinda like "leaving in a hurricane", but it can be done.

Hoping that yours doesn't have to be anything near like that. Wishing you all the best!

Edited by Reichette
  • Like 1

I tried a lot of times for jobs which I saw in adverts while in SA . No feedback on any. After arriving in USA as soon as I had a local number , I started receiving calls. Time since I started looking till I landing the job was about 2 months , but time lapse was about 3 months since arriving.

I tried a lot of times for jobs which I saw in adverts while in SA . No feedback on any. After arriving in USA as soon as I had a local number , I started receiving calls. Time since I started looking till I landing the job was about 2 months , but time lapse was about 3 months since arriving.

Oh, you don't have to wait for that.

I was lucky to have landed the job offer while still in SA. What I did on my Resume was to list a US telephone number which I obtained through Skype (just go on their web site). So the US caller phones a virtual US number, Skype forwards the call via the Internet and your cell phone in SA rings. Likewise, when you call them from SA with your cell phone, the reverse happens and on their phone it appears as if someone in the US is phoning them. Problem solved.

You don't disclose your location unless asked specifically. US resumes contain the most basic of personal info (i.e. just your name, e-mail address and telephone number - nothing else of a personal or identifiable nature)

Edited by Reichette
  • Like 1

Reichette

Tried that as well . I think I seen a post from you at the time. But I think the problem was that my resume was already out on most job sites, so even changing it and replacing it, did not have the desired effect.

But got a few calls on it only after I arrived in the USA

Hey,

Just wanting to know what company you used to help with the move of your PETS and boxes? A medium size dog and did you use the container option?

11 hours ago, MJames said:

Hey,

Just wanting to know what company you used to help with the move of your PETS and boxes? A medium size dog and did you use the container option?

Moving to the US?

we used biddulphs to move using a 20’ container. They were great. Service involved packing up in SA and unpacking in US. All very very professional.

pet moving company we used was called something like animal travel services,  they also organized everything including state vet certificate from SA and a US agent to bring our pet through customs and delivery to us in US, made it all much less stress. Try use an airline with a good reputation for pets (like KLM) even if you fly something else. KLM has an animal lounge in Amsterdam that your pets get transited in. Pets get taken out of their travel cages so the travel cages can be cleaned and put in the animal hotel (with roomier cages), fed etc while waiting for their connection. If dogs they get taken for a walk on  a special dog lawn there too.

Bear in mind extreme weather (hot or cold) may affect what pets can fly where to in the US at different times of year.

Edited by SJ272

9 hours ago, MJames said:

Hey,

Hi.  We used Global Paws and could not be happier.  Cape Town, London, Philly on BA, they did the crate, all inspections en delivered her to us out in the stix (an hour from Philly) and came in around 40k, rough idea, but they build the crate etc, so worth it.  Follow them om FB and you will see all the happy clients. Best of luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moving2018 said:

came in around 40k, rough idea, 

Wow, for one pet?! What size was it? Ours was a few years ago now admittedly but was around R10k, for a cat so I guess a dog would be a bit more but not 4x! They did all the same stuff yours did by the sounds of things. There were cheaper quotes for other airlines, they do a bunch of them, but we chose KLM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJ272 said:

Wow, for one pet?! What size was it? Ours was a few years ago now admittedly but was around R10k, for a cat so I guess a dog would be a bit more but not 4x! They did all the same stuff yours did by the sounds of things. There were cheaper quotes for other airlines, they do a bunch of them, but we chose KLM.

Even though my Wire haired fox is a medium breed, she does stand quite tall.  Also, the crate was built according to IATA specs, which I believe has recently changed.  The airline and destination also has a big influence on cost.  Glad you were able to do it for that price. I am just glad my girl is here with me.

• Like 1