Sign in to follow this  
Wanydp

Vaccinations

Hi there

We recently moved to the USA and my 10 month old had her last vaccinations in SA (at 9 months). According to the SA schedule her next vaccinations are due at 1 year. However I know nothing about the local requirements and whether they would recognize the vaccinations they had in SA. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wanya

Hi there

We recently moved to the USA and my 10 month old had her last vaccinations in SA (at 9 months). According to the SA schedule her next vaccinations are due at 1 year. However I know nothing about the local requirements and whether they would recognize the vaccinations they had in SA. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Wanya

I can't remember your details. Did you do an immigrant visa medical? If so the relevant vaccinations will have been recorded on the worksheet the doctor gave you. If not, contact your local pediatricean and ask - I know that the people where we are did not understand the SA vaccination cards, I think the meds have different names etc.

Hi there

Thanks

Wanya

Wanya, where are you living and how is it going?

Hi Tinjana

The official source for vaccination schedules etc in the USA is the CDC (Center for Disease Control) - who publish schedules for children which is the official guidance for doctors in the USA - see https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

If you have the proper SA recordes, they should recognize them - but you may/may not have had all in accordance with the US schedule, and may have to play 'catchup'.

Best to consult a pediatrician.

Hi Tinjana

The official source for vaccination schedules etc in the USA is the CDC (Center for Disease Control) - who publish schedules for children which is the official guidance for doctors in the USA - see https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/child-adolescent.html

If you have the proper SA recordes, they should recognize them - but you may/may not have had all in accordance with the US schedule, and may have to play 'catchup'.

Best to consult a pediatrician.

The SA vaccines have different names I think, especially ones that are say 5/6/7 in one whereas they may be done separately here. Our experience: There was a lot of confusion over our SA vaccination records until I remembered the worksheets the panel doctor did. Neither the pediatrician nor the school district nurse had any joy from our SA records, but immediately could work from the vaccination worksheets which is filled in in a way that US people understand. There are also vaccinations that are 'optional' in SA but need to be done here - these will have been done if the applicant has done an immigrant visa medical but not necessarily on other visas.

• Like 1

The main providers of vaccines in SA is Sanofi Pasteur and GlaxoSmithKline (who keep on changing their name), same as in the US. I think what [at]SJ27 said is important and that is to have the immunisation schedule in a format that a US doctor would understand. I worked with immunisations in SA and am doing so in Canada which has a similar schedule and requirement as the US. The schedules differ for the countries but if you have a record, it is easy to see where something has been missed, if at all.

Most immigrants are up to date because of the immigration medicals, depending at what age they migrated and how long it's been since.

Edited by Nettie