Shamus

Dv-2018

I don’t think I’ve seen any DV regressions since the first few years of the program, when I assumed that was largely because they were wtill figuring it all out. It’s really unfortunate. I wonder how many people it’s affected.

Overall draw was 87610 this year vs 115968 last year so SA’s proportion actually up a bit - interesting. 

Hi folks

So my husband kept his ex colleaugue a a friend and have been chatting.on.and off on social networks for the past 12 yrs.We needed a sponsor and she agreed,she would gladly sponsor us.We sent her the I34 and she said she needs to speak to a lawyer first.I feel hopeless,is there anyway that I can assure her that we do have $50k we bringing to US? How do I assure her that.we will be able to look after ourselves? I looked through that form I understood why she.was feeling like she needs to speak to someone.Its really overwhelming.I need an advise cos people who have recently been interviewed in JHB  are advising we get sponsors,money is no.longer that important but sponsor is.

You can pay the $50k into her account if you can trust her in the way that she needs to trust you to be your sponsor?

Excuse the question - but who told you that someone needs to be your sponsor?  What visa are you on?  DV?  If you have $50k ready to bring - highly unlikely that the consulate will require you to have a sponsor.  Most DV applicants do not.  If the consulate has told you that you need a sponsor, then I understand, different story.

9 hours ago, Malamute said:

Excuse the question - but who told you that someone needs to be your sponsor?  What visa are you on?  DV?  If you have $50k ready to bring - highly unlikely that the consulate will require you to have a sponsor.  Most DV applicants do not.  If the consulate has told you that you need a sponsor, then I understand, different story.

Yes we are DV applicants ,we have neen following interview stories on Brit Simon's blog,sponsor is the safest route.

10 hours ago, Gieds said:

You can pay the $50k into her account if you can trust her in the way that she needs to trust you to be your sponsor?

At least $10k ,and she can keep ot for us for the uknown..,Is that not fair enough?

15 hours ago, Malamute said:

5 hours ago, dreamland said:

Yes we are DV applicants ,we have neen following interview stories on Brit Simon's blog,sponsor is the safest route.

5 hours ago, dreamland said:

At least $10k ,and she can keep ot for us for the uknown..,Is that not fair enough?

Sorry but firstly I think  the idea of you transferring the money to her account is crazy and secondly that’s not how sponsorship works anyway. It has to be on her income, and it has to be much more than the poverty line (I think 3 times) if you’re using assets like a savings account.

Agree with malamute, they are very accommodating in Jhb of your assets in terms of house, RA/unit trust/shares etc. I’m not sure who you are referring to on britsimon’s blog but I think it is highly unlikely it is a bunch of South Africans interviewing in Jhb? I think they are more strict with 3rd country nationals who interview there though. Some consulates rely a lot on sponsorship and others don’t.

3 hours ago, SJ272 said:

Sorry but firstly I think  the idea of you transferring the money to her account is crazy and secondly that’s not how sponsorship works anyway. It has to be on her income, and it has to be much more than the poverty line (I think 3 times) if you’re using assets like a savings account.

Agree with malamute, they are very accommodating in Jhb of your assets in terms of house, RA/unit trust/shares etc. I’m not sure who you are referring to on britsimon’s blog but I think it is highly unlikely it is a bunch of South Africans interviewing in Jhb? I think they are more strict with 3rd country nationals who interview there though. Some consulates rely a lot on sponsorship and others don’t.

Britsimon popped up briefly on this forum in 2015 about this exact issue - in fact at the time SJ272 (then SJ27) was going through the process.  Pretty much insisting that sponsorship was important - a number of folks - including myself weighed in that we did not need this - in fact no-one weighed in that they HAD in fact been asked for it.  

I do recall one person who was asked for it - I can’t remember her name exactly now, I think it was a variation of Tammy, but her and her husband didn’t have enough to satisfy the consul. She was asked to provide a I134 and got one from her brother. As I recall just about everyone else has been asked to show some proof of finances at interview (myself included) and that has generally been fine.  Moral of the story is certainly that it’s not worth fussing for unless and until asked for. And I can’t see the consul having an issue with $50k available.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:02 PM, SJ272 said:

I do recall one person who was asked for it - I can’t remember her name exactly now, I think it was a variation of Tammy, but her and her husband didn’t have enough to satisfy the consul. She was asked to provide a I134 and got one from her brother. As I recall just about everyone else has been asked to show some proof of finances at interview (myself included) and that has generally been fine.  Moral of the story is certainly that it’s not worth fussing for unless and until asked for. And I can’t see the consul having an issue with $50k available.

Thank you so much [at]SJ272 I am greatful for the info.I will post after my interview ☺

Hi Guys 

today i went to collect my unabridged birth certificate and to my suprise the Parents info is dat of my grandparents ,, I didnt even know this . On the Ds260 i wrote my mom and father ,, only moments later i recalled my mom had me while she was a teenager so thas how my grandparents registerd me as their own , Now my worry is , wont this affect my Chances of approval ?? Both my grannies and parents are deceased