Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

Dv-2018

Hello all.

Our interview went as follows. It was my husband, 18 year old step daughter, 7 year old son and me. I am the principal applicant. 

I arrived at the consulate at 12 noon but we were told to only come back at 12:45pm. We went to the Sandton City Mall and then came back at 12:40 and waited in the queue. Went through the security check. After receiving 2NL, before the interview, you must register the appointment on the embassy website (https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-za/iv/users/sign_in). If you have problems to sign up like i did (my case number was not found) i called the embassy and they requested me send an email to  to They will not allow you inside if you did not register. No cellphones are allowed inside so its best to leave all your valuables at home if you can.

When we went inside, we were given a number (11) and told to wait outside as there was no space to sit inside . Our number was called after 30 minutes and we were told to go to window 6. At the window a lady did our fingerprints on biometric machine. She had a file with our medical results and  requested us to give her all the required documents a copy and original - Passports, 2 visa photos, DS260 confirmation page, unabridged birth certificates, marriage certificate, educational qualifications, police clearance certificates, financial statements ,I also gave them affidavit of support from my sponsor but she said its not a requirement but she took it anyway. She then requested us to pay the visa fees. $330 per person. It was 4 of us so we paid $1320. They only accept credit card to pay in rands. If you pay in US Dollars cash,  the notes must be dated older than 2003 and must not be folded. We paid using credit card about R 17,000.

After payment we were told to sit and wait to be called again. We were called after 5 minutes and went to another window where the Consular Officer interviewed us. She asked us the address of where we were going to stay. We did biometrics again. She asked me what type of job i do and if we have ever travelled to america. She also asked who we were going to live with and our relationship. After that she made my step daughter sign a form stating that she is not allowed to get married until we travel to the US. 

The consular officer then smiled, returned all our original documents and said all is in order and we can expect an sms or email from DHL to come and collect our passport in 10 working days. We were so happy that all went well and we give all the glory to God. Now we are just waiting for the passports and then plan the way forward regarding moving to the US. 

Thank you for your assistants on this forum. 

• Thanks 1

Wow....this is awesome....congratulation Angel...from your interview experience does it mean that affidavit of support is not required but financial statement? I pray my interview come soon and also go smoothly like yours. 

18 minutes ago, Ade said:

Wow....this is awesome....congratulation Angel...from your interview experience does it mean that affidavit of support is not required but financial statement? I pray my interview come soon and also go smoothly like yours. 

Thank you. 

All will be well.

5 hours ago, Ade said:

It’s been a few years since I interviewed, but we took financial statements with, and they did look at them. There was someone on this forum around the same time, they could not show enough finances of their own and were asked to get an affidavit of support from someone in the US - she had a brother there and they did and then got approved. There is no one size fits all for finances - what you need depends on individual circumstances. It’s always better to be over-prepared and take anything you think you might need, if they don’t ask for it no harm done but if they want to see it, you have it.

and congratulations Angel! Best of luck for your move to the US.

• Like 1

My wife and I went for the DV interview at the JHB consulate in February.

At the first window, we were asked repeatedly whether we have a sponsor (we don't). We'd provided evidence of our financials though, and it didn't come up again. I think you can either provide proof of your own financial position, or you need to have an affidavit of support from a sponsor.

At the second window, the officer asked my wife only two questions, and then said we were approved.

We're going on a trip to activate next this month, where we're taking a 2 week trip to various cities we're interested in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

My wife and I went for the DV interview at the JHB consulate in February.

At the first window, we were asked repeatedly whether we have a sponsor (we don't). We'd provided evidence of our financials though, and it didn't come up again. I think you can either provide proof of your own financial position, or you need to have an affidavit of support from a sponsor.

At the second window, the officer asked my wife only two questions, and then said we were approved.

We're going on a trip to activate next this month, where we're taking a 2 week trip to various cities we're interested in.

Good luck!

Do you know anyone in the cities you’ll be looking at? We did the same kind of trip and even though it was only a few days in each city, we found it really useful to be able to stay with people as you get a tiny bit of what it’s like to live somewhere rather than see it through the tourist eyes of a hotel. 

2 hours ago, SJ272 said:

Good luck!

Do you know anyone in the cities you’ll be looking at? We did the same kind of trip and even though it was only a few days in each city, we found it really useful to be able to stay with people as you get a tiny bit of what it’s like to live somewhere rather than see it through the tourist eyes of a hotel. 

Thanks! We don't know anybody in the cities we're visiting, but we'll be staying at Airbnb's the whole way, and quizzing our hosts for info. Plan to visit the business districts, public areas, buy groceries, take public transport / hire a car, cook in, and try to avoid those tourist goggles.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pete said:

Thanks! We don't know anybody in the cities we're visiting, but we'll be staying at Airbnb's the whole way, and quizzing our hosts for info. Plan to visit the business districts, public areas, buy groceries, take public transport / hire a car, cook in, and try to avoid those tourist goggles.

Just one note on buying groceries and stuff like that, it’ll seem more expensive than it actually is when you move, because the big chains have loyalty programs (you just sign up, no strings) that have constant discounts, cash back, give you discounts off petrol prices, etc, or there’s Costco. 

One of the little things that amazed us most was amazon and other online shopping....in that parcels are just left on porches all the time.  Can’t really imagine that happening back home! This was one of the things we first saw staying at friends! 

On 07/03/2018 at 10:29 AM, Angel21 said:

Hello all.

Our interview went as follows. It was my husband, 18 year old step daughter, 7 year old son and me. I am the principal applicant. 

I arrived at the consulate at 12 noon but we were told to only come back at 12:45pm. We went to the Sandton City Mall and then came back at 12:40 and waited in the queue. Went through the security check. After receiving 2NL, before the interview, you must register the appointment on the embassy website (https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-za/iv/users/sign_in). If you have problems to sign up like i did (my case number was not found) i called the embassy and they requested me send an email to  to They will not allow you inside if you did not register. No cellphones are allowed inside so its best to leave all your valuables at home if you can.

When we went inside, we were given a number (11) and told to wait outside as there was no space to sit inside . Our number was called after 30 minutes and we were told to go to window 6. At the window a lady did our fingerprints on biometric machine. She had a file with our medical results and  requested us to give her all the required documents a copy and original - Passports, 2 visa photos, DS260 confirmation page, unabridged birth certificates, marriage certificate, educational qualifications, police clearance certificates, financial statements ,I also gave them affidavit of support from my sponsor but she said its not a requirement but she took it anyway. She then requested us to pay the visa fees. $330 per person. It was 4 of us so we paid $1320. They only accept credit card to pay in rands. If you pay in US Dollars cash,  the notes must be dated older than 2003 and must not be folded. We paid using credit card about R 17,000.

After payment we were told to sit and wait to be called again. We were called after 5 minutes and went to another window where the Consular Officer interviewed us. She asked us the address of where we were going to stay. We did biometrics again. She asked me what type of job i do and if we have ever travelled to america. She also asked who we were going to live with and our relationship. After that she made my step daughter sign a form stating that she is not allowed to get married until we travel to the US. 

The consular officer then smiled, returned all our original documents and said all is in order and we can expect an sms or email from DHL to come and collect our passport in 10 working days. We were so happy that all went well and we give all the glory to God. Now we are just waiting for the passports and then plan the way forward regarding moving to the US. 

Thank you for your assistants on this forum. 

Thank you angel21 for sharing,I am still waiting patiently until the numbers get to the 37's.This is the.first.interview of the south african family that has been posted,it gives hope.I.will.post when I get mine as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dreamland said:

Thank you angel21 for sharing,I am still waiting patiently until the numbers get to the 37's.This is the.first.interview of the south african family that has been posted,it gives hope.I.will.post when I get mine as well.

Hi dreamland

Am also waiting patiently for my case number 410xx. However I do panic sometimes with regards to high case numbers getting interview considering the slow pace of visa bulletin this year.

• Like 1

Dear All

Is it still possible for high case numbers to get interview before September deadline. The latest visa bulletin shows that case numbers up 24800 will be interviewed for May. In my own view the pace is too slow and unpredictable. 

No one can really answer that question. The pace does seem slow but it would be a very unusual year if they did not reach at leas your number, ade. There have been years where the pace picks up significantly in the last few months. All you can do is wait and hope.... good luck.

I agree with SJ272 - while nothing is certain, the only time since DV2002 that your number would not have been current, was for DV 2004, when the numbers for Africa capped at 35 450.  In 2016, the May figures were close to what they are now - i.e. they were at 28 300 - and all numbers were still current by August.  So, hang in there, and plan for the interview -i.e. get all the docs you need gathered etc.