Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

Dv-2018

13 hours ago, Ade said:

Hi dreamland

Am also waiting patiently for my case number 410xx. However I do panic sometimes with regards to high case numbers getting interview considering the slow pace of visa bulletin this year.

Hey Ade,I know exactly what you mean,it would be great to start a wassup group and we can share info and just listen to each others queries and help where ever we can,my cell 079 345 9187 ,I am based in Cape town.Comeon guys who still waiting to go on interviews,lets chat!☺

^ if you share personal details you should do it in a private message, not on the public internet 

On 3/12/2018 at 11:59 PM, Ade said:

Hi dreamland

Am also waiting patiently for my case number 410xx. However I do panic sometimes with regards to high case numbers getting interview considering the slow pace of visa bulletin this year.

This is the only site I know that does any really detailed analysis of the numbers. It’s still only an estimate of course but he suggests Africa should go to the mid-40s - so hopefully your number will be very comfortable 

http://britsimonsays.com/march-update-on-vb-progress/

55 minutes ago, SJ272 said:

This is the only site I know that does any really detailed analysis of the numbers. It’s still only an estimate of course but he suggests Africa should go to the mid-40s - so hopefully your number will be very comfortable 

http://britsimonsays.com/march-update-on-vb-progress/

Thank you so much [at]SJ272

Thank you for reminding me about security:ph34r: ,all is noted,I will checkout the link above I must admit I was very dissapointed  with the pace.that the bulletin moved this month,but I guess we are safe its just that our interview s will be much later than we thought.

Hi great people 

I just need to know if hubbu and I need unabridged marriage certificate or just a printed home affairs marriage certificate and how easy is it to obtain,we were under the impression that we got a correct oneon but we have been advised we actually need unabridged marriage certificate,is it true?

20 minutes ago, dreamland said:

Hi great people 

I just need to know if hubbu and I need unabridged marriage certificate or just a printed home affairs marriage certificate and how easy is it to obtain,we were under the impression that we got a correct oneon but we have been advised we actually need unabridged marriage certificate,is it true?

As far as I recall you need an unabridged marriage certificate but check your documentation that states what you require - it will indicate exactly what you need.

Yes, it has to be unabridged. If you follow the link from your selection letter to the dvselectee website, and then read through that and the appropriate further links it explains what civil documents are acceptable.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/SouthAfrica.html

”Only unabridged ("long-form") marriage certificates are acceptable. ..... The request should specify that a long-form marriage certificate (listing the prior marital status of both parties) is desired in the English language. Should the marriage certificate be issued in a language other than English, the applicant must also submit an English translation.”

Edited by SJ272

22 hours ago, dreamland said:

Hi great people 

O dear Dreamland, I have just been onto Britsimon.  Yes, the numbers are real slow.  I can imagine your anxiety at this stage.  Stay positive, and at least you have time to get unabridged of everything.  Timing for a reason, so just hang in there.

• Haha 1

Hello Guys

Thank you all for your prompt responses to my questions and fears. 

I once read on a platform possibly this or britsimon about an interview experience of a dvlottery winner at Johannesburg embassy. As we all know that unabridged marriage certificate is required for all married couples however this dvlottery winner said the embassy accepted the handwritten marriage register(I suppose/assume he meant dha-30) after he told them that his unabridege marraige cert is not ready.

Can anyone validate this? Is it really possible. 

Am asking because the agent am trying to use to speed up the process of getting my unabridged marriage cert has returned back my money saying I must go apply for it at home affairs. This process as I know could take several months which is very frustrating!!!

11 hours ago, Ade said:

Hello Guys

Thank you all for your prompt responses to my questions and fears. 

I once read on a platform possibly this or britsimon about an interview experience of a dvlottery winner at Johannesburg embassy. As we all know that unabridged marriage certificate is required for all married couples however this dvlottery winner said the embassy accepted the handwritten marriage register(I suppose/assume he meant dha-30) after he told them that his unabridege marraige cert is not ready.

Can anyone validate this? Is it really possible. 

Am asking because the agent am trying to use to speed up the process of getting my unabridged marriage cert has returned back my money saying I must go apply for it at home affairs. This process as I know could take several months which is very frustrating!!!

We were specifically told by the consulate that the handwritten usual certificate was not acceptable. 

This is the post I think you referred to. Although handwritten, it was unabridged and signed by a commissioner of oaths. http://www.sausa.org/topic/7860-2017-draw-results/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-67988 so it still means absolutely has to be unabridged.

At least the agent gave you your money back. If I were you I’d do a duplicate submission, one to your local HA office and one by post to Pretoria (the details are actually in the link I posted a few messages above) and see if one gets there faster. If you don’t get it by the interview,  take your handwritten one and they will probably (if everything else checks out) tell you that you’ll get your visa when you submit the unabridged certificate.

Edited by SJ272

It seems to me that every October/November there is a flurry of activity with hopefuls entering the DV lottery.  Probably the best advice we can give anyone entering is to there and then make sure they have unabridged birth/marriage etc certificates for everyone on that application - at R75 each, it is really worth it - and it is not as if they expire - you never know when you may need it, or for what.
Many of the posts here after an applicant is actually drawn involves stress around not having these documents in hand, and the time it takes to get them.  

I would advise to just get all of these, and keep them in a safe place - even military records, your matric certificate (in English) etc.  IF you are drawn, you can wait for your interview virtually stress-free with only the medicals and the police clearance to be done, and if not, you have the documents for the following year, or for any other country you are considering moving to, or for any other reason whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

On 09/09/2017 at 12:08 PM, Pete said:

Hi all, first post for me.

I've been studying Britsimon's website for the past few months but I've only just found this forum. It's great to get some local SA perspectives on the DV visa, and living in the US more broadly. :) 

My wife and I have entered thrice now, for the 2015, 2016, and 2018 draws. This year, the 2018 draw, my wife was fortunate enough to be selected - cue the shock, awe, happiness, and excitement!

We've got a low case number of ~12,000 so will likely see an interview in November or December. We've been scrambling about to assemble all the required documents, with no major issue thus far - though still no word on the unabridged marriage certificate from DHA, which I understand can be a headache to acquire.

The snag is that my wife, the principal applicant, was home-schooled and didn't attend formal high-school for matric. She has a matric exemption, and a degree and post-grad from UCT, but nevertheless does not technically fulfill the high-school education requirement. Fortunately, her work does fall into the skilled work category, so we're building up documentation and support for qualification based on work experience. It's an additional worry though, as from what I understand the qualification based on work experience is pretty much entirely up to the CO when you get to the interview at the embassy.

The other thing is an address which I know we'll need to provide. On the DS260 we just put the SA Embassy in Washington for now, but we'll need to figure out a real one ahead of the interview. A mail forwarding service seems like a good idea given the circumstances, but I don't know if they'd accept that.

Sjoe, I know this feeling of being in limbo well. We have not bought anything new, and have put our plans to improve our house on the backburner. Then there is just that feeling of waiting which is so pervasive on a daily basis. I consider us very lucky to have gotten a lower number though, as I don't know how people cope with this stress for as long as a year, which I know some must wait.

Hi Pete,please give us an update as to how your interview was?I hope all went well.I have.just noticed.your number was current 2 months ago

On 20/03/2018 at 8:20 PM, moving2018 said:

O dear Dreamland, I have just been onto Britsimon.  Yes, the numbers are real slow.  I can imagine your anxiety at this stage.  Stay positive, and at least you have time to get unabridged of everything.  Timing for a reason, so just hang in there.

Hi [at]moving2018 I guess its not easy to stay away from Brits simon website ,its good though you are helping us,Its great.to hear from you.I am going to Cape Town city.Home.affairs,tomorrow which is friday to get my all unabridged certificates,it was easy to get the kids ones its lm still waiting four mine and hubby birth unabridged for over 7 months now,so tomorrow after applying for the unabridged marriage certificate I will send an email straight to Mr Gigaba himself,I trust him ,he did a great job at homeaffairs prior his  overnight reshuffle im glad they throwed him back there.I will wait and update you guys,Thank you [at]Pete and [at]Angel21 for all the interview experiences and info,you made it sound very easy☺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2018/03/22 at 3:09 AM, dreamland said:

Hi [at]moving2018 I guess its not easy to stay away from Brits simon website ,its good though you are helping us,Its great.to hear from you.I am going to Cape Town city.Home.affairs,tomorrow which is friday to get my all unabridged certificates,it was easy to get the kids ones its lm still waiting four mine and hubby birth unabridged for over 7 months now,so tomorrow after applying for the unabridged marriage certificate I will send an email straight to Mr Gigaba himself,I trust him ,he did a great job at homeaffairs prior his  overnight reshuffle im glad they throwed him back there.I will wait and update you guys,Thank you [at]Pete and [at]Angel21 for all the interview experiences and info,you made it sound very easy☺

As far as long outstanding documents go, don't be afraid to make use of the presidential hotline to speed things up. It's an inter-department service that aims to deal with complaints re service received from any other department, and in the process they'll ensure your document or service request is actually fulfilled. This worked well for me in terms of getting our marriage certificate in time.

Tel: 17737
Email: president[at]presidency.gov.za

Edited by Pete
  • Thanks 2