Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

Dv-2018

Agree with malamute and Oscar. The red line that malamute copied above is a new and very specific line in the instructions. Maybe people won before with old photos, but as USCIS continually improves its photo software, it is a totally simple procedure for them to check if the photo has been used before. Honestly, do you want to be the person who missed out on a green card because you couldn't be bothered to spend 2 minutes taking and checking a new photo?

Edited by SJ27
  • Like 2

Thanks Malamute and OP1985 !

My friends and family were also submitting the same old photograph for years on end. This year they decided to read the instructions completely. This could well be a reason why many of applicant's are not selected.

Get new pic's everyone! There are quite a few requirements for how female applicant's should look (all hair to be tucked behind the ears and no fringes or hair hanging over the forehead.)

New pictures cost R45.00 but it may be worth spending the money.

• Like 1

For the last 2 years, I submitted within 1 or 2 days of the application period starting.

I have only now submitted. Who knows, maybe things work out for the better this time round.

Regarding photos, last year I submitted the photos from the previous year too.

This time I put in a lot more effort to get them correct.

What I noticed is that just using the photo tool didn't always give me a cropped photo that matches what is specified, e.g. 56%-69% of the photo = length from bottom of photo to level of eyes.

I needed to crop the original a few times before getting within this specs, while still trying to keep within the green guide lines.

I don't know how strict they are with regard to this, but at least that can't be the reason why we aren't chosen this time around.

Anyway, it feels like we all briefly woke up for application submissions, next major buzz will be about May :)

Good luck everyone!

• Like 2

Good Luck Shamus ! ( I hope the new pictures bring you all the luck in the world)

I've been reading and reading through the forum, and it's fantastic all the advice and stories of people that has gone to America. We entered the DV2018 and are very hopeful and positive. I was an Au pair in MA in 2010 and since then my heart has longed to go back, so now after 17 years i might just get the chance again. I am so excited for May to arrive and truly wish it to be a positive outcome.

Good luck to everyone whom has entered... this is our year!!

• Like 2

I've been reading and reading through the forum, and it's fantastic all the advice and stories of people that has gone to America.

I agree this forum is a goldmine when it comes to info and advise. I am also hopeful that this is the year for us too. Thanks to everyone for their input.

• Like 2

I've been reading and reading through the forum, and it's fantastic all the advice and stories of people that has gone to America. We entered the DV2018 and are very hopeful and positive. I was an Au pair in MA in 2010 and since then my heart has longed to go back, so now after 17 years i might just get the chance again. I am so excited for May to arrive and truly wish it to be a positive outcome.

I believe it too! Good luck everyone!

• Like 2

DV-2018 Entrants may enter their confirmation information through the link below starting at noon (EDT) on May 2, 2017.

Woohoo - 1 month to go!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shamus said:

Woohoo - 1 month to go!

I am soooooo excited!!!! The "unknown" is killing me ... All of the best to everybody :)

3 hours ago, michsmit said:

8 days 17 hours to go, yes i have a countdown clock...

Probably longer ;) Judging by past years, the website will be inundated at first and may take a day or so before you're actually able to check your entry!

Good luck to this year's entrants!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, michsmit said:

8 days 17 hours to go, yes i have a countdown clock...

And now 8 days 10 hours... :)

I have been trying not to think about it, because then it REALLY drags. Rather work towards payday tomorrow, that is closer!

For those who don't know, the results are 2 May 12PM EDT (= 6pm for S.A)

• Like 3