Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

Dv-2018

7 hours ago, Clay said:

That would be awesome, being selected in a subsequent round of draws. Is there some notification that they are going to be drawing more names or is it just something that happens and they hope people keep checking their status?

I was obviously also not selected, but it was my first entry so my spirit hasn't been crushed yet! Does anybody have an idea of the chances that the DV lottery will cease being available to South Africans? I know it's numbers based and the point is to encourage immigrant diversity, but with the current state of SA, and hearing of more and more people wanting to make the move I wonder at what point they will say "Ok, that's enough South Africans."

Last year when they made a second draw, they publicized this via their website and individual embassy websites. I believe people selected in the second draw also receive emails telling them to check their confirmation page on the website again. 

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎05 at 4:53 PM, SJ272 said:

Last year when they made a second draw, they publicized this via their website and individual embassy websites. I believe people selected in the second draw also receive emails telling them to check their confirmation page on the website again. 

One of our member Moving2018 was one of the people that was selected in the second draw last year, so you never know the possiblity is still there, i am still holding thumbs

On 5/5/2017 at 3:15 PM, Malamute said:

ZERO chance of South Africa being one of the countries not eligible for the DV lottery (as long as it lasts) - countries disqualified are those who have sent more than 50 000 immigrants to the USA in the previous 5 years.  South Africa is not even CLOSE - for example, the total number of immigrant visas issued to South Africans in 2016 was 787 (162 of those were DV immigrant visas) - and 773 in 2015 (178 of those were DV visas)

That's great news.

On 5/5/2017 at 4:53 PM, SJ272 said:

This is good to know, thanks.

• Like 1

I cannot believe its only been 3 months after finding out we have been selected,my life is at complete standstill,i dont know if yhere is any one who experiences the same limbo im in.After trump's announcement last week I was half way in to throwing in the towel,thank you to Jason Flash in this forum, I have a glimpse.of hope,i am so ready to get ouf of SA.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dreamland said:

I cannot believe its only been 3 months after finding out we have been selected,my life is at complete standstill,i dont know if yhere is any one who experiences the same limbo im in.After trump's announcement last week I was half way in to throwing in the towel,thank you to Jason Flash in this forum, I have a glimpse.of hope,i am so ready to get ouf of SA.

I can say with confidence, that almost all of us that have been through the DV process felt he same limbo you are feeling.

The eleven months between when we found out that we had won and the day of our interview the following June was easily the longest eleven months of our life! The uncertainty, the waiting, the early prep, the waiting, the research, the waiting, the panicking, the waiting, watching that Visa Bulletin sloooooowly creep towards our number, the waiting, the agonizing, the waiting, more uncertainty, more waiting... it was enough to drive me insane! We put nearly everything on hold. We were reluctant to commit to anything or renew any 24 month contracts (like Vodacom etc). We stopped buying and replacing things that we may have had to sell later. And becuase we didn't know 100% that we'd even get the Visa in the end, for any one of a number of reasons, we also didn't want to tell anyone or make too many life changing decisions just yet, so we still had to get up, go to work, pay the bills and get on with life like nothing was different, but in our minds EVERYTHING was already different!

And when we eventually did get our Visas, everything changed and a whole new slew of challenges and worries set in. The panic, the rush, the panic, the endless questions, "What the hell are we doing?", "Where are going to live?", "Who will employ me?", "OMG! How much is this going to cost?", "Why are we even doing this?"... the panic, etc, etc.

All perfectly natural, all perfectly reasonable and all perfectly survivable. Just remember to breathe and don't forget to get on with life and enjoy the time and activities in SA with your friends and family in the meanwhile. It can be and feel like a looooong process, but looking back, that was a good thing, becuase by the time we eventually packed up everything a walked out the door of our home for the last time (23 months after the day we found out we had won) we were physically, psychologically, and mentally as ready as we could ever hope to be for the next crazy stage of the journey.

As for the immigration issue, like I said, Congress and the Presidency are deeply dysfunctional at the moment, so it is unlikely that any sweeping changes to immigration will happen overnight. Having said that, if we've learned anything from last year's election and the Trump effect, it is to never say never. Trump is desperate for a win right now (any win) and so are the Republicans who despite seven years of attempts, threats, rhetoric and promises, and despite holding the majority in the House, the Senate, and the Executive branch were dealt a humiliating defeat over the repeal and replacement of the ACA last month. Although, I suspect that right now Trump is more concerned with the ever looming investigation into his election campaign, potential obstruction of justice and dubious financial connections to Russia, and Congress are more concerned with keeping him from going to war with North Korea. So legal immigration reform is most likely the last thing on anyone's mind right now in Washington.

In the meantime... Hold thumbs that you have a low DV number, get your docs and such in order, vasbyt and carry on :-)

• Like 7

On 8/9/2017 at 8:52 AM, dreamland said:

Good luck.  The longest time of my life.  We were selected in the second draw last year and yes, you put everything on hold.  We are moving out of our house 26 Aug and off to the USA a few days later.  Good luck and hoping you have a low number.  Ours was 42000 so we were last on the list.  The longest year of my life and after the consulate interview possibly the quickest 2 months followed.  Total roller coaster ride.  Enjoy the adventure.

• Like 2

Hi All

Im new to SAUSA. Lovely and resourceful forum, thank you. I've been selected for further processing for 2018 by KCC.

i came across a very useful website,www.britsimonsays.com

lots of info about the dv lottery and FAQs

look forward to chatting with you all further

Take care,

Mitso 

JHB

our number is in 37000's ,I'm trying so hard not to look in to :ph34r: these forums,but I can't help to want to hear if anyone just received their Visas brings me more hope.Marikie received hers 3. Days ago but of course it's your group and not our group which is 2018.I hope you are settling nicely in your area in USA.

Hello dreamland.
You should be pretty confident, and not in need of hope if your number is in the 37 000's and you have no complications (financial, medical etc.).  Numbers in that range have become current each year since 2005.  There is still no sign of any legislation tabled that would change this.  For your year, DV2018, the numbers for October are already out - up to 8 500, so you are well on your way.  You are probably nine months - maybe less - from joining those who actually have their visas in their hands.

• Like 1

Hi all, first post for me.

I've been studying Britsimon's website for the past few months but I've only just found this forum. It's great to get some local SA perspectives on the DV visa, and living in the US more broadly. :) 

My wife and I have entered thrice now, for the 2015, 2016, and 2018 draws. This year, the 2018 draw, my wife was fortunate enough to be selected - cue the shock, awe, happiness, and excitement!

We've got a low case number of ~12,000 so will likely see an interview in November or December. We've been scrambling about to assemble all the required documents, with no major issue thus far - though still no word on the unabridged marriage certificate from DHA, which I understand can be a headache to acquire.

The snag is that my wife, the principal applicant, was home-schooled and didn't attend formal high-school for matric. She has a matric exemption, and a degree and post-grad from UCT, but nevertheless does not technically fulfill the high-school education requirement. Fortunately, her work does fall into the skilled work category, so we're building up documentation and support for qualification based on work experience. It's an additional worry though, as from what I understand the qualification based on work experience is pretty much entirely up to the CO when you get to the interview at the embassy.

The other thing is an address which I know we'll need to provide. On the DS260 we just put the SA Embassy in Washington for now, but we'll need to figure out a real one ahead of the interview. A mail forwarding service seems like a good idea given the circumstances, but I don't know if they'd accept that.

On 8/9/2017 at 8:52 AM, dreamland said:

Sjoe, I know this feeling of being in limbo well. We have not bought anything new, and have put our plans to improve our house on the backburner. Then there is just that feeling of waiting which is so pervasive on a daily basis. I consider us very lucky to have gotten a lower number though, as I don't know how people cope with this stress for as long as a year, which I know some must wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/9/2017 at 3:08 AM, Pete said:

The snag is that my wife, the principal applicant, was home-schooled and didn't attend formal high-school for matric. She has a matric exemption, and a degree and post-grad from UCT, but nevertheless does not technically fulfill the high-school education requirement. Fortunately, her work does fall into the skilled work category, so we're building up documentation and support for qualification based on work experience. It's an additional worry though, as from what I understand the qualification based on work experience is pretty much entirely up to the CO when you get to the interview at the embassy.

Congrats, Pete! Welcome aboard!

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about your wife's Matric. The high school requirement is a minimum requirement. Your wife has clearly achieved that, and while she may, or may not, have graduated from a "traditional" high school, she clearly DID finish high school and went on to UCT and graduated with a recognized post graduate degree and has since acquired a whole bunch of skilled working experience. This is exactly what they are looking for and more than meets the base requirements, because it shows she is a.) more than adequately educated/experienced and b.) is highly skilled and employable.

For now, focus on getting your marriage and birth certificates etc. and don't forget to apply for your police clearance certificate. You'll want to apply for it six weeks to two months before your interview. It can take a while to process, but is good for six months if I recall correctly. You have a low number so should get an interview around Dec/Jan, but even if it's a bit later, your certificate should still be good. Your second notification, for your official interview date is usually far enough in advance to give you enough time, but I wouldn't leave it much later than mid Oct, unless the Visa Bulletin numbers are moving slower than normal.

Also don't forget to change that USA address as soon as possible, they usually want a standard physical address as this is where they ultimately send your Green Cards and someone has to usually sign for them on delivery. And the last thing on earth you want is for those to end up anywhere near a South African government institution. The Consulate folks are sweet and all, but still very much prone to good ol' SA bureaucracy. If you are really, really struggling with this, send me a PM and we can see if I can maybe help you guys out there :)

Otherwise, good luck can and enjoy the ride! It's a crazy one for sure!

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 0:08 PM, Pete said:

alThe other thing is an address which I know we'll need to provide. On the DS260 we just put the SA Embassy in Washington for now, but we'll need to figure out a real one ahead of the interview. A mail forwarding service seems like a good idea given the circumstances, but I don't know if they'd accept that.

About the address - Any address will do on the DS260. You don't even require one prior to the interview. I would advise having one by the time you make your first entry into the USA. I say this because upon entry you are given an opportunity to give them an address where the green cards should be mailed. Up to that point, any USA address you provide is meaningless and can be overridden upon entry so don't lose any sleep about this.

You do need a real address by the time you enter. USPS is apparently instructed to not deliver uscis mail to forwarding services or other "not real" street addresses.  If it's not changed at entry it will go to whatever is on your DS form. As Jason alluded to above, you could probably get some help here if you cannot find anyone you personally know to receive your mail for you.

Congratulations, Pete.
I think you are wise to build up the case that she qualifies on work experience.  If she has an exemption - does that not mean she achieved a Senior Certificate (or whatever they are called) regardless of whether she was home schooled or not - i.e. passed the exams set for matric?  Does she not have the formal certificate?

Reason is - the instructions are very specific that the principal applicant needs to show the equivalent of 12 years of schooling - equivalent to a US High School Diploma.  It is perfectly possible to go to university and get a degree without  having completed the 12 years of schooling. A degree therefore is not an equivalent of 12 years of education, despite the fact that it is more 'advanced' than a mere high school education.

When I had my interview (London) - the requirements were the same.  I had my matric certificate, a bachelor's degree and a masters degree.  They didn't even look at the degrees.  They took the matric certificate.  The interviewing official opened a book - looked for South Africa, and then ran his finger down the short list of 'accepted' certificates (Mine was a Cape Senior Certificate from the day) - and he found that listed, and that satisfied the requirement.  Not to say a degree won't be accepted, but I wouldn't bank on it, but sounds like she could equally qualify with work experience (or they may accept the degree).

Good luck with everything.

1 hour ago, Malamute said:

Reason is - the instructions are very specific that the principal applicant needs to show the equivalent of 12 years of schooling - equivalent to a US High School Diploma.  It is perfectly possible to go to university and get a degree without  having completed the 12 years of schooling. A degree therefore is not an equivalent of 12 years of education, despite the fact that it is more 'advanced' than a mere high school education.

When I had my interview (London) - the requirements were the same.  I had my matric certificate, a bachelor's degree and a masters degree.  They didn't even look at the degrees.  They took the matric certificate.  The interviewing official opened a book - looked for South Africa, and then ran his finger down the short list of 'accepted' certificates (Mine was a Cape Senior Certificate from the day) - and he found that listed, and that satisfied the requirement.  Not to say a degree won't be accepted, but I wouldn't bank on it, but sounds like she could equally qualify with work experience (or they may accept the degree).

Good luck with everything.

The old requirement was high school. The new one is "at least" high school and I've heard of people with no formal high school but with degrees getting it this year as the degrees are higher than the "at least" requirement. I do agree though it would be much safer having a senior certificate to take with.

this never seems to have been entirely consistently applied anyway - people here interviewing in Johannesburg have reported all of being asked for high school only, for their highest qualification only, and (as in my case) asking for everything - high school and all degrees.

Edited by SJ272