Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

Dv-2018

Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate the feedback.

I think you are wise to build up the case that she qualifies on work experience.  If she has an exemption - does that not mean she achieved a Senior Certificate (or whatever they are called) regardless of whether she was home schooled or not - i.e. passed the exams set for matric?  Does she not have the formal certificate?

To clarify on the education point, my wife never wrote matric exams and doesn't have a senior certificate. She has a matric exemption certificate from the matriculation board of SA, based on tests (SAT and some others) she took at the end of her homeschooling. She got into UNISA with this, then UCT based on her performance.

She'll definitely be preparing a work experience portfolio. The plan is to focus on documentation in the form of job descriptions, relevant training / certification, and affidavits from her current and previous employers regarding her role and duties. This seems more or less in line with what they're looking for. It's unfortunate how poorly detailed / understood the work experience requirement is - hopefully we'll be able to add to this understanding. :)

About the address - Any address will do on the DS260. You don't even require one prior to the interview. I would advise having one by the time you make your first entry into the USA. I say this because upon entry you are given an opportunity to give them an address where the green cards should be mailed. Up to that point, any USA address you provide is meaningless and can be overridden upon entry so don't lose any sleep about this.

Happily, in terms of addresses, I've discovered I have some 2nd cousins in NY / Boston, so I'll reach out and see if they're okay for us to use their address.

Some further good news is that I picked up our unabridged marriage certificate this morning, which took only 5 weeks. I used the "presidential hotline" to expedite this, as I'd read a lot of bad stories about this document. I'd recommend this route if you get stuck with Home Affairs, as its free and surprisingly efficient. You can just email president[at]presidency.gov.za to escalate your issue at any department.

Edited by Pete
  • Thanks 1

Just wondering whether the fact that there are countries that have been striked off the dv 2018 entry list, is showing on the pace that the interview dates are moving currently? Or is the interviews pace moving at the same pace as the previous years?

On 9/29/2017 at 4:52 PM, dreamland said:

Just wondering whether the fact that there are countries that have been striked off the dv 2018 entry list, is showing on the pace that the interview dates are moving currently? Or is the interviews pace moving at the same pace as the previous years?

O Dreamland, so very happy my year of waiting in total anticipation is over.  Really, best of luck, especially the nerves.  If I may, what is you number and where are they on numbers at the moment?

• Like 1

On 9/24/2016 at 7:10 PM, kengux said:

Am hoping for the best in 2018 lottery selection. I want to leave this country (NOW!!!) if possible.

i am reg for the 2019 praying that all goes well

• Like 1

On 10/2/2017 at 5:27 PM, moving2018 said:

O Dreamland, so very happy my year of waiting in total anticipation is over.  Really, best of luck, especially the nerves.  If I may, what is you number and where are they on numbers at the moment?

My number is in 37*** [at]moving2018.right now the 8***s are current, seems like the pace is a fast as a snail's pace.

On 10/6/2017 at 7:51 PM, Nesbert said:

i am reg for the 2019 praying that all goes well

Goodluck Nesburt,keep yourself very busy for now before you know it ,it will be May 2019 

20 hours ago, dreamland said:

My number is in 37*** [at]moving2018.right now the 8***s are current, seems like the pace is a fast as a snail's pace.

Hi Dreamland. We were 42XXXX,  As the numbers started coming in it looked as if we may have interviews Aug.  That changed quite quickly and we ended up going 8 June.  Hang in there.  It might be sooner than you think.  

• Like 1

On 10/8/2017 at 6:59 PM, moving2018 said:

Hi Dreamland. We were 42XXXX,  As the numbers started coming in it looked as if we may have interviews Aug.  That changed quite quickly and we ended up going 8 June.  Hang in there.  It might be sooner than you think.  

Woow that was good [at]moving2018 ,yes I hope it goes more or less like that with us.I must just keep my self more busy and take my mind off things a bit.Will let you know once anything interesting happens.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2017 at 2:18 PM, dreamland said:

Woow that was good [at]moving2018 ,yes I hope it goes more or less like that with us.I must just keep my self more busy and take my mind off things a bit.Will let you know once anything interesting happens.

Easier said than done.  Best of luck with that. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, moving2018 said:

Easier said than done.  Best of luck with that. 

Lol yes indeed. It takes over your life even when you’re trying to ignore it because so many decisions have to take it into account - no point in buying new car tv whatever for example, not sure when to plan holidays because you don't know when your interview might be. And, most people don’t say anything to most of their friends or relatives until they know they’re approved after the interview so you constantly feel like you’re biting your tongue ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJ272 said:

Lol yes indeed. It takes over your life even when you’re trying to ignore it because so many decisions have to take it into account - no point in buying new car tv whatever for example, not sure when to plan holidays because you don't know when your interview might be. And, most people don’t say anything to most of their friends or relatives until they know they’re approved after the interview so you constantly feel like you’re biting your tongue ...

Spot on SJ272!

2019 I have to re-register .system problem . Praying that i get selected , want to be out of this country . this is one of my best getaway doors.

On 10/14/2017 at 2:18 PM, dreamland said:

Hi Dreamland.  How are the nerves, insomnia and numbers going?  FYI, 3 months in and I managed to open my first account today.  Super excited as credit score is therefore on the rise.  Health and life insurances sorted.  Telkom finally sorted (it takes 5 months in total to get their zero balance invoice).  As everyone will have mentioned, SABC TV License is impossible to cancel.  Start now if you can.  It seems Vodacom is cancelling as they should.  We have 3 more numbers to cancel, just be aware of when your contracts expire.  Other that that, still the best decision.  We are truly happy.  All the best to you and yours.

• Like 3

Hi [at]moving2018 

I am well,I can assure you my body is still here in SA ,my mind and heart have definitely left to Usa.Numbers are still moving very slow,I am starting to feel like hiding from everyone because I cannot arrange or promise what I will be doing next year after april .I cannot travel to another provinces to be with my family for christmas cos we are saving each and every cent we can,so that we do not have money problems.Now funny part is that I already got a buyer for our home,She reminds me every month end that she has everything sorted to buy our house and.keeps on asking" how many months to go before we know the application outcomes".I am always checking the net for the cheapest homes to rent in palm beach,florida.God must help me on this one ,I am gone.Lol.My husband is losing hope everytime there is a terrorist attack anywhere in america he is convinced The president will bar us out of USA.Will let you know what happens.VB not out for feb interviews yet.

• Like 1

Good luck to everyone! The US president just announced that the lottery and chain migration will end! So glad that my persistence paid off!

http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/2017/11/06/diversity-visa-lottery-program-doesnt-represent-us-interests-kansas-secretary-state.html

Edited by Durango