Sign in to follow this  
Shamus

Dv-2018

53 minutes ago, dreamland said:

Hi all

I Need an urgent advice from you regarding selling property just so that we can have a good proof of finances,it is risky and I just want to know.how many people took the risk of selling their houses prior interview , we have no sponsor and we have 3 kids and we want embassy to see we will.afford this move.By the way my number is Af 37***which I am sure will.go.current in june.Any.advice☺

Well, they are always at pains to tell you not to do anything irreversible before you have a visa in hand. Selling a house before the interview seems quite drastic, even if everything seems ok you just never know.  It also puts you out of a home and possibly chews up money on renting a place etc that you should be saving for your move.

We didn’t have any proof of what our house was worth (we had significant investment statements though), he just asked us “do you also own a house” but didn’t ask value! If your house is your main asset then the suggestion from adventurer1 seems good. Also bring pension fund /RA statements etc, they know that these can be cashed in and taken with when you emigrate.

• Like 1

Rather than jumping the gun why don't you get a current evaluation of your property from a couple of Estate agents. They will provide you with a letter at no charge.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your advise,I think I will just take it easy and stop worrying and fussing about all these things.Will just  prep all requested docs including the property evaluation docs,all should be fine. I did not know  you can get the property evaluation doc,Thanks again

On 16/01/2018 at 9:31 PM, Ade said:

Hi Malamute

The visa bulletin has been released as you speculated. However something worries me, the pace at which dv2018 case numbers are moving seems too slow. Do you think someone like me with case number 41,xxx have a chance of being interviewed? Thanks!

Hi Ade 

I have been reading and following different chats around the DV 2018 figures and it has been confirmed AF will go current up to.at.least 46***,sp you are safe ade

1 hour ago, dreamland said:

Hi Ade 

I have been reading and following different chats around the DV 2018 figures and it has been confirmed AF will go current up to.at.least 46***,sp you are safe ade

Nothing is confirmed - BritSimon and others do pretty extensive calculations, but they also caveat that all over that they are NOT in charge of the DV, and the cutoff in the past has been well under what they estimated.  Be confident in your number, as it is almost a certainty....but only almost.

4 hours ago, dreamland said:

Hi Ade 

Like malamute says, no one can “confirm” anything, even KCC at this stage don’t know where it will end up.

britsimon’s analysis has been really good in some years and missed in others. It’s just a projection, like any other projection no matter how much work goes into it there is always some possibility no one foresaw. Last year it was the sudden hard ceiling at 50k that left a lot of people interviews in September but without visa numbers.

46k is probably reasonable and I don’t want to frighten Ade when it’s probably fine, but i also hate seeing false reassurance out there. Nothing is confirmed until you have your visa in your passport.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2018 at 4:59 PM, dreamland said:

Hi all

I Need an urgent advice from you regarding selling property just so that we can have a good proof of finances,it is risky and I just want to know.how many people took the risk of selling their houses prior interview , we have no sponsor and we have 3 kids and we want embassy to see we will.afford this move.By the way my number is Af 37***which I am sure will.go.current in june.Any.advice☺

Hi Dreamland.  I can imagine the nerves are completely finished.  We took our bank statement of outstanding home loan amount along with valuation from our estate agent as well as pension fund payout amounts.  They looked at it very quickly, so they were not too interested in all honesty. Our appointment was last year.  We decided beforehand to take things one step at a time.  Wait for your number to be released, wait for your mail from KCC and then you start with medicals, once passed, interview, when passed, sell the house, pay the last fee and fly.   Good luck.

• Like 2

On 24/01/2018 at 2:12 AM, moving2018 said:

Hi Dreamland.  I can imagine the nerves are completely finished.  We took our bank statement of outstanding home loan amount along with valuation from our estate agent as well as pension fund payout amounts.  They looked at it very quickly, so they were not too interested in all honesty. Our appointment was last year.  We decided beforehand to take things one step at a time.  Wait for your number to be released, wait for your mail from KCC and then you start with medicals, once passed, interview, when passed, sell the house, pay the last fee and fly.   Good luck.

Thanks moving2018, I will definitely take everybody's advice.It is becoming nerve wrecking exercise  and I must sayit is becoming a journey and its quite lonely one,you have all these questions you would like to ask someone but some of them are crazy.. or can.be viewed as crazy Lol..I hope you doing well and got yourself some work already,or are you still settling in?.

On 1/25/2018 at 0:49 AM, dreamland said:

Thanks moving2018, I will definitely take everybody's advice.It is becoming nerve wrecking exercise  and I must sayit is becoming a journey and its quite lonely one,you have all these questions you would like to ask someone but some of them are crazy.. or can.be viewed as crazy Lol..I hope you doing well and got yourself some work already,or are you still settling in?.

If you are like us with no one in the US, I understand 100%, Without the advice from the people on this forum I would not have made it. The journey is lonely.  We were only telling the absolute "must know" people, so I get that.  We are doing better by the day.  Hubby been working for over 2 months now and I have just started.  Exciting times and loving every minute.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2018 at 9:49 PM, dreamland said:

Yes, ask them to us, that’s what we are here for! 

We too had hardly told anyone, even after we got the visa, until a few months before the final move.

• Like 1

Hello guys

I had earlier ask advice on my marriage issue on this forum. The issue is that I filled in my customary marriage date on the ds260 form because the lobola ceremony actually took place before I entered the visa lottery with wife. However the civil marriage took place after the dv2018 result was announced. We couldn't fill in the date of the civil marriage because it will appear as if we were single when we entered for the in year 2016. 

I have been advised on this forum to get documents to proof the customary marriage. On this basis I wish to ask if a sworn affidavit together with our customary/lobola dated pictures and other bills be enough to proof the customary marriage even though we now have a child which was born 10 months after our customary marriage and has also been added to our case.

You can get an affidavit if you want, but I’d personally think that if you have proof of the date of the customary marriage it should be enough.

Yes I have pictures of the customary/lobola ceremony. The photos have stamp date of the lobola ceremony on them and I have prepared a photo album to take along with me to interview. 

Hello everyone. 

I am a DV2018 winner. My interview is on 6 March in Johannesburg. Going for medicals on 23 and 26 February. Its 4 of us i.e my husband, step daughter and son. Only my son has a vaccination card. Was given a list of the vaccinations 11 of them. To all those who had medicals done, did you have all the 11 vaccines done? The prices are just too much.(R 4,790 for all 11 vaccines PLUS          R 5,400 for consultation and other various tests. For kids consultation is R 3,150.

We did police clearance last year in September because i was speculating my interview to be in November/December (i compared my case number with previous years). The police certificates are dated 8 September. On 6 March will the police clearance still be valid? Do they expire after 6 months or 1 year? Should i have another one done. 

Thank you. 

There is apparently a directive from the US that all police certificates are valid for a year from date of issue, even if the local police have a shorter expiry date, so you should be fine. If it’s easy to get renewals done and you’ll feel more confident that way then do so, but I don’t think you’ll need them.

The doctor will decide what vaccines you need, it’s unlikely that everyone in the family needs all of them. As adults we got exempted from most of them. But you don’t really have a option. If the doc says you need them, you won’t get an approved medical without them, and you need an approved medical for the visa. Try claim from medical aid after, we did without expecting much but got about half the cost of the medicals refunded (discovery). 

Good luck with the interview! 

Edited by SJ272
  • Like 1