Sign in to follow this  
Reichette

Should A Christian Celebrate Halloween?

They say that opinions are like ass-holes.... everybody has one. Here is mine:

My former drug-addict, now born-again Christian, sister constantly goes around preaching the gospel to all and sundry. While she exercises her right to free speech without fear or favor, it annoys me no end. While I admire her commitment to her faith I feel it is socially unacceptable for her to "preach" to people (including myself) if they didn't ask for it. If I want to hear a sermon I would go to a place of worship.

If I walk into a place of worship, I shouldn't be surprised to find someone preaching at me and maybe even saying things I disagree with or don't like to hear. In a sense this sub-forum (Spiritual Life) could be seen as SAUSA's equivalent of a place of worship, and if you click into it you could come across things you disagree with and don't like. Using that logic I feel it is okay for Reichette to have expressed himself on this topic in this sub-forum - it is his opinion and I respect it.

The flip side for me is that, even though we all have the right to express ourselves, sometimes it is better not to do so. This post is Reichette's opinion, nobody else's, and I read it with that in mind. I found the tone thereof self-righteous, judgmental and narrow-minded (I suspect he'll disagree) and with that in mind, I wish he didn't post it.... but that's just me.

• Like 4

I reckon that we've all done a pretty good job of expressing ourselves and putting our respective arguments forward without making this too personal of a disagreement thus far. And should probably leave it right there before it goes too much further.

If I have given anyone reading this, especially Reichette, the impression that my frustrations regarding this matter have been leveled at them in a personal manner, I do sincerely apologize, that was not my intention. Neither was my intention one of censorship, but rather that of a healthy sensitivity and mindfulness of others when addressing especially sensitive, complex and diverse subjects like faith and belief in such an open forum.

I think we have all placed our cards on the table in rather good faith (excuse the pun) and had our say regarding the matter at hand with valid points from all sides for us all to chew on and digest. We may never reach a perfect level of agreement, of that I am certain, but that's more than okay too! We all have our beliefs (or lack there of) and we are each entitled to them and to express them in an appropriate manner. I feel it's quite healthy to disagree on such matters because it serves to remind us all that no matter how right any one of us may feel we are at any given time, we can easily fall victim to that elusively fine line during the heat of comment that can sometime steer us off course and into the realm of self righteousness and the blind judgement of others. It is always better in such cases to at least have been warned, despite any potential disagreements, damaged prides or embarrassment, than to have never been made aware of the fact at all. Kind of like when you've walked around all day with chocolate smeared across your cheek and no one bothered to speak up or let you know that you look like an idiot!

If even one of us walks away from this discussion today with the slightest bit more consideration, awareness or mindfulness of others on this forum I would go so far as to boldly declare this rather passionate discussion a victory for us all!

While I still very much look forward to hearing more positive, uplifting and personal experiences and exciting personal adventures during the exploration of your faith and how it has helped you to accomplish honorable things for others or to successfully integrate with your respective communities, especially from Reichette, I will also try to be more tolerant should such positive stories or posts not happen to materialize.

I promise that I will not take too much exception should you feel the need to thump The Good Book and get a little fiery again, so long as you don't mind me calling you out for it or reminding you to be a little more mindful of those others who may not necessarily share your beliefs while you're going about it.

That being said. High fives all around, I say!

Below is a copy of the opening sentence of the first reply to the very first posting I made on Feb 2 on this sub-forum that was titled, “Christian, kindle your faith and bear fruit” (which appears to have been archived since):

Thank you for that uplifting and important message!” … (Tinjana)

I guess I’ll just leave it at that except to point out also - as evidenced by this quotation too - that there are indeed people on this forum who seemingly both appreciate and benefit from what I have to say, as much as it may not fit the mold or the preferred style of a few regulars.

In light of the quotation above and in light of the 70+ views that topics in this sub-forum seem to draw on average, I gently wish to remind the regulars that your objections/opinions likely do not represent everyone’s who come and read here either.

Edited by Reichette

I act so passionately on this sub-forum because, whether you’re a Christian or not, we’re all going to die one day. I’m trying to share with anyone (who cares to read it) what I have come to conclude in my nearly 50 yrs in life about this all important topic. (Share yours, if you like).

One thing is for sure:

There can only be one truth awaiting us all at the time of our death – no multiple truths, nor multiple gods. We were all created alike by the same creator as evidenced also that even our internal organs are the same and can be transplanted to one another regardless of race, gender, etc. We all came from the same “factory” and we’ll all be returning to the place of our common origin one day. We need to get this one right and make sure that we are at peace with our one true creator before we come to die - it is very important.

Peace!