Sign in to follow this  
Old

Sa Id Documents For Kids

Just wondering if anyone has applied for a SA ID book/smart card while in the US, particularly for kids turning 16. This is on the consulate website:

Persons applying for their South African ID book for the first time must submit applications through the nearest Department of Home Affairs in South Africa. South African Embassies and Consulates can only process applications for re-issuance.

So does that mean having to travel back to SA to apply for ID for your kids when they turn 16?

my older one turns 16 next year so I'm interested in this too. Is it totally necessary to have ID if you're not going back to live or is it ok just to get passport renewed??

Also kind of related, remember if you have a kid who didn't have biometrics for their green card because they were under 14, that they need to get a new GC with biometrics done once they turn 14.

Edited by SJ27

Yes, but to obtain a new passport after age 16, an identity document is needed.

Not just the old passport? Ok..so back to square one about needing to go to SA then. I didn't see anything different than what you posted about the first application for an ID having to be in SA.

Oh wow I did not know about getting new green cards when my kids turned 14. My son turned 14 2 days before we landed to activate green cards. Would he be ok. I cant remember if they did biometrics on him, but when we landed he was 14. My daughter wasnt 14 when we landed and has now just turned 16! SJ27 do you just fill out forms and mail or did you go in to the UCIS offices.

Oh wow I did not know about getting new green cards when my kids turned 14. My son turned 14 2 days before we landed to activate green cards. Would he be ok. I cant remember if they did biometrics on him, but when we landed he was 14. My daughter wasnt 14 when we landed and has now just turned 16! SJ27 do you just fill out forms and mail or did you go in to the UCIS offices.

We also found out too late :( if it's before 30 days after they turn 14 it's free, but later than that it's the full replacement cost for a new green card ... you can do the form either online or print it out, fill it in and send it.

See the various instructions under part 2g here: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-90instr.pdf?download=1 - note there's a different reason code depending on the age you do it and expiry date of current GC.

Your local office will then give you an appointment for biometrics, she will go in and get them done and then they'll process the new green card.

If your son's GC doesn't have a fingerprint and signature then they didn't do biometrics, as far as I recall.

Thanks so much for the infoSJ27, that really is frustrating, how were we supposed to know? The funny thing is my son and my daughter both have a fingerprint on their green cards. I think I remember them doing the biometrics on both of them when we landed even though my daughter was only 12 at the time.

Thanks so much for the infoSJ27, that really is frustrating, how were we supposed to know? The funny thing is my son and my daughter both have a fingerprint on their green cards. I think I remember them doing the biometrics on both of them when we landed even though my daughter was only 12 at the time.

Ok I'm not absolutely sure if that is the way to be sure about biometrics - but the rule definitely says you need a new card when you turn 14. You should probably call uscis to see if your son needs one?

And no, I have no idea how we were supposed to know...I saw it by chance on another forum.

I guess I will have to sort it out! My husband can apply for his citizenship end of next year and she would automatically become a citizen too as she will be under 18 - so it seems a waste for such a short time - but the rules are the rules I suppose.

Old, on 22 Nov 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

Yes, but to obtain a new passport after age 16, an identity document is needed.

How about this:

"You can apply for your ID book at any office of the Department of Home Affairs or any South African mission or consulate overseas.

All applications are sent to the Department’s head office in Pretoria. There, your fingerprints will be matched with those already on record or entered into the National Population Register.

Your application will then be processed and once issued, your ID book will be forwarded to the office where you made your application for you to collect."

Click here

But, someone under 16 won't have fingerprints on record to compare to - I guess that's why the other links say the first time has to be in person in SA.

Hi Guys

I just phoned the SA embassy in DC and asked them about the whole not having an ID book for my kids and renewing their passport. The gentleman I spoke to was very helpful and he said an ID book was not necessary. The ID is on the birth certificate and it is also on the passport and he said that was sufficient. By the way I also asked him if I should get a retention of citizenship for my daughter as she automatically becomes a US citizen when we do - under 18. He said we should, which to me doesn't make sense but it is easy enough to do so I will do one for her as well. Not sure if the other embassies are giving the same advice about the passports but that was good news to me.

Edited by RubyShoes

Hi Guys

By the way I also asked him if I should get a retention of citizenship for my daughter as she automatically becomes a US citizen when we do - under 18. He said we should, which to me doesn't make sense.

I respectfully disagree with the advice you were given. Section 6(1)(a) of the citizenship act explicitly excludes minors from the loss-of-citizenship provision - it says

Subject to the provisions of subsection (2), a South African citizen shall cease to be a South African citizen if- (a) he or she, whilst not being a minor, by some voluntary and formal act other than marriage, acquires the citizenship or nationality of a country other than the Republic;

If I were you I would not bother applying for retention of citizenship for your child because she won't lose it when she becomes a US citizenship due to you becoming a naturalized citizen.