Sign in to follow this  
marcjvr

Trump Moves To Act On Border Wall, Crack Down On Immigration

He's already come out against H1B...and to be fair, it does get abused a lot. If it can get tightened up to what it's supposed to be, I wouldn't have an issue with that. They'll need to keep something for skilled immigrants, anyway.

As for the border wall, let's see if congress approves funding, seeing as Mexico ain't gonna pay for it. I also can't *wait* to see which companies get the construction contracts if it goes ahead...

Although I am a beneficiary of the DV program I think it is a silly program that should be canned.

• Like 1

Although I am a beneficiary of the DV program I think it is a silly program that should be canned.

I think it's a nice red herring ...50k visas in the context of something like a million immigrant visas a year is nothing.

They need to reduce the relations who can get family visas and give more out to skilled migrants, like Australia and Canada do (and like the U.K. used to under the old HSMP).

Whether or not they replace the DV program is going to make hardly an iota of difference in the big picture...though i agree it's kind of silly even if the idea is nice (even the idea is kind of a facade, as it was originally intended to get more Irish in). Replacing it with a more skills based visa makes sense (even keeping it and raising the education or work experience requirement, but I doubt they'd modify it, probably just dump it).

Apparently Trump said in December that this will be the last year for the DV Lottery. As for H1b visas, they are proposing to raise the minimum wage to $100,000, and give more visas to top international US students.

There was a one hour TV interview with President Trump last night on ABC news with David Muir. Trump mentioned in the interview that there will be a very big announcement on immigration in four weeks time.

I guess he want's to get a lot done before he does his state of the union address on February 28

Edited by oscar

It was kind of embarrassing watching him on that interview trying to convince people Mexico will pay for the wall "eventually" "in some form" but it's "complicated". We all know they'll never pay and he can't make them. Then again anyone who believed he could the first time round will believe anything.

Also, apparently it will be really difficult to get the wall built without either using illegal labor or getting special visa immigrants to do it :D

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-26/trump-wants-to-build-a-wall-finding-workers-won-t-be-easy

Edited by SJ27

Mexico will benefit financially as 70% of the cement industry is Mexican owned. CEMEX shares have gone up a lot in recent days.

We should have had a wall build a long time ago. I am not against the wall it's just the cost of $26 billion. Trump, will probably raid Medicare and Social Security for the funds to build the wall.

Mexico will benefit financially as 70% of the cement industry is Mexican owned. CEMEX shares have gone up a lot in recent days.

We should have had a wall build a long time ago. I am not against the wall it's just the cost of $26 billion. Trump, will probably raid Medicare and Social Security for the funds to build the wall.

Looks like he'll just raid all the science research funding too :( It's totally shocking that he's issued gag orders basically across the US government scientific community. Isolate your population and dumb them down. This is like the church in the 15th century, not the country that leads the world in science and innovation!!

As for the wall, meh, people will still find a way around. Will be more difficult and expensive but they'll do it. Walls never stopped anyone before. Even the Berlin Wall got breached regularly and there is no way they can police the entire border the way the Berlin Wall was policed. Not to say they shouldn't tighten up border security, but they already have personnel capacity problems with that, and anyone who thinks the wall is a magic bullet is pretty naive.

Hopefully, he is only a one term president. The media censorship reminds me of the old South Africa where there was total control of the media.

Hopefully, he is only a one term president. The media censorship reminds me of the old South Africa where there was total control of the media.

Yup, and there's a lot to remind me of zuma too...he has wasted no time doing stuff to make his rich pals richer...and bringing his family on board wherever he thinks he can get away with it...

But, as much as he might try to subject science to political pressure, he can't shut down the internet. He's still subject to the first amendment, much as he may hate it. Last I saw the so called rogue government scientist twitter accounts were in the teens already. Who've thought Americans would need twitter to circumvent government censorship....

As usual, El Presidenté and the rest of a Congress (both sides of the aisle) seem clueless when it comes to immigration reform. Instead of looking to other nations with more sensible, progressive and productive immigration policies, they instead play to their xenophobic base with demeaning rhetoric and vile stereotypes and completely fail to address or accomplish anything of any real substance.

The biggest change required to curb the flow of people into the country illegally to lay down irreversible roots is to end guaranteed Birthright Citizenship and restrict citizenship at birth to children of citizens and those on immigrant-based Visas only, like most of the developed world. While it wouldn't completely remove the desire for everyone trying to enter the country illegally to try and live here by any means possible, it certainly would remove a certain amount of their drive and the key obstacle to their potential removal later down the line when found to be in violation of US immigration laws.

It is a bizarre and archaic policy that absolutely anyone, be they here on a work visa, as a tourist, a temporary student, a border hopper, a visiting foreign diplomat, or just temporary worker can give birth to a child on US soil and that child is immediately granted US Citizenship with almost no questions asked.

90% of the ethical, moral and legal quagmire the government has found itself in regarding illegal residents in the 21st Century is how to deal with or depot millions and millions of people in violation of immigration laws who have children and dependents who are full fledged citizens solely because of Birthright Citizenship.

I'm certainly not complaining, seeing as my baby daughter is a full US citizen thanks to this very same law. However, I would have just as equally had no problems had the case been that she was granted only legal permanent residency at birth with a path to citizenship once, and only once, we ourselves had naturalized.

As for the rest of the outdated immigration policies, I feel that family sponsored visas should be curbed, or at least given lower priority than they currently receive, while employment based visas should be based on a stricter and more formalized points-based system or scale like other highly developed nations. The current H1B system is being horribly abused, and while it is a great system in theory and helps add much needed skills to the employment sector, it has become a breeding ground for many unscrupulous employers looking for highly skilled and semi-skilled employees who will work for less and who are often cut loose and left out in the cold the moment they have to pony up to sponsor their permanent residency.

On the DV lottery, I am of course highly biased in my views, being a winner myself, but I like it and would like it to stay. What a truly unique and wonderful program it is to grant 50,000 people around the world from places with otherwise low immigration rates to the US a shot at the American Dream for nothing more than being themselves. Like SJ27 said, 50,000 visas is a drop in the ocean compared to the hundreds of thousands of aunties and uncles and random tractor sales reps patient enough to wait for their application numbers to become current. For me, and many others the DV lottery is the real DREAM act! Keep it, I say! Cut 50,000 visas from one of the employment categories and force more US businesses to spend more on bursaries and apprenticeship programs to get more veterans and poorer Americans into the middle class.

• Like 1

Could not have said it any better - birthright citizenship is the cause of the problem. Interestingly, not all people born in the US are citizens - children born to foreign diplomats and children born to enemy forces engaged in hostile occupation of the country's territory do not become US citizens upon birth on US soil.

I saw today that an advocate of ending birthright citizenship might join the new administration.... here is the link to the article.

Edited by Superkruz
  • Like 1

Interestingly, the reason birthright citizenship was brought in was to protect the children born of slaves from being sent back to the country their parents came from ... But yes, those days are long over and these days we have birth tourism. I can't see anyone from any side of the aisle think scrapping this is a bad policy.

• Like 1

Could not have said it any better - birthright citizenship is the cause of the problem. Interestingly, not all people born in the US are citizens - children born to foreign diplomats and children born to enemy forces engaged in hostile occupation of the country's territory do not become US citizens upon birth on US soil.

I saw today that an advocate of ending birthright citizenship might join the new administration.... here is the link to the article.

Thanks for that Superkruz. I wasn't 100% sure on the diplomat example, I just threw it in there for good measure.

I think some of the problem is your average American (including many in Congress) isn't quite entirely aware of Birthright Citizenship or that their interpretation of it doesn't quite match up with the reality of it in regards to who exactly it applies to. Take for example Ted Cruz. Here's a Republican that happily shot his mouth off about immigration reform and illegal immigrants without even knowing that he himself was automatically a Canadian citizen by birth! Which meant he had to go through that whole awkward renouncing of his Canadian citizenship thing while running in the Presidential Primaries. Not that he really had to do it, but it certainly made him look woefully ignorant. All I can say is, if these are the kinds of politicians making law and drafting immigration policy, how can there be any hope for something good to come out of it?!?

As for resistance to scrapping it, I fear that partisan politics and scoring cheap points is at such an all time low, that there is guaranteed to be one side or the other ready to fight tooth and nail out of shear spite. We see it even now, still, on healthcare and tax reform. Both sides openly admit that the systems are severely flawed and that reform is needed, but neither side seems willing to blink or give an inch on the chance that they'll look weak or loose something. It's like a Cold War in D.C. Where nothing short of fear of mutually assured destruction keeps the untenable status quo in place.