Sign in to follow this  
marcjvr

Trump Moves To Act On Border Wall, Crack Down On Immigration

.....and so the madness of the executive orders banning people from certain countries from the USA unfolds..........seems even Green Card Holders, who just happened to be out of the country visiting family, attending funerals etc, and who LIVE here in the USA, and whose family and job is here, cannot return and are 'in limbo' abroad because they just happen to be Iranian or whatever, but have long since been granted a Green Card, and are permanent residents. Just imagine if South Africa was on that list........

Not to mention the refugees who were already fully vetted and on flights bound to the USA - turned back at the border.

Sad, Mad chaos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/us/refugees-detained-at-us-airports-prompting-legal-challenges-to-trumps-immigration-order.html?_r=0

• Like 1

I have always thought that The DV program was a silly Program that Ted Kennedy implemented originaly to help the Irish get into the States. having said that, I'm also very happy to be here.

However I don't thinks its gonna be around for much longer.

Edited by Adder

.....and so the madness of the executive orders banning people from certain countries from the USA unfolds..........seems even Green Card Holders, who just happened to be out of the country visiting family, attending funerals etc, and who LIVE here in the USA, and whose family and job is here, cannot return and are 'in limbo' abroad because they just happen to be Iranian or whatever, but have long since been granted a Green Card, and are permanent residents. Just imagine if South Africa was on that list........

Not to mention the refugees who were already fully vetted and on flights bound to the USA - turned back at the border.

Sad, Mad chaos.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/28/us/refugees-detained-at-us-airports-prompting-legal-challenges-to-trumps-immigration-order.html?_r=0

It's shocking. At least the courts have temporarily helped those who were being held at the airports.

The biggest irony is that all this was signed on holocaust Memorial Day, and there are clear echoes of when Jewish refugees were turned away from the US to return to their death in the camps in Europe.

It's quite shocking what's going on.. feels like living in Nazi Germany, and to think that quite a few member on this board voted for him. Very sad!

I just saw an additional posting on the internet on Green card holders. Green card holders that left the USA and wish to return will first have to go to their local US Embassy or consulate for additional screening. Once cleared they will be allowed to return to the USA. I assume this only applies to the countries mentioned in Trumps Executive Order.

Wow, even some Trump supporters I know can't believe this.

One friend, a lifelong Republican from a family of strong republicans, and one who consequently has always been critical of the ACLU, has just donated to them for the first time ever to help fund the legal challenge. It's encouraging to see people standing up for what's American rather than blindly sticking to the president's line.

oscar, on 29 Jan 2017 - 04:37 AM, said:

It's quite shocking what's going on.. feels like living in Nazi Germany, and to think that quite a few member on this board voted for him. Very sad!

It is your right to have an opinion, but this forum is not the place to be judgmental towards others.

• Like 1

SJ27 - I just gave a donation to ACLU ... looks like they got over $19.4 million in donations this weekend.

• Like 1

Then there's this (Trump responded with another kneejerk tweet of course).

http://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2017/1/statement-by-senators-mccain-graham-on-executive-order-on-immigration

Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senators John McCain (R-AZ) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) released the following statement today on the President’s executive order on immigration:

“Our government has a responsibility to defend our borders, but we must do so in a way that makes us safer and upholds all that is decent and exceptional about our nation.

“It is clear from the confusion at our airports across the nation that President Trump’s executive order was not properly vetted. We are particularly concerned by reports that this order went into effect with little to no consultation with the Departments of State, Defense, Justice, and Homeland Security.

“Such a hasty process risks harmful results. We should not stop green-card holders from returning to the country they call home. We should not stop those who have served as interpreters for our military and diplomats from seeking refuge in the country they risked their lives to help. And we should not turn our backs on those refugees who have been shown through extensive vetting to pose no demonstrable threat to our nation, and who have suffered unspeakable horrors, most of them women and children.

“Ultimately, we fear this executive order will become a self-inflicted wound in the fight against terrorism. At this very moment, American troops are fighting side-by-side with our Iraqi partners to defeat ISIL. But this executive order bans Iraqi pilots from coming to military bases in Arizona to fight our common enemies. Our most important allies in the fight against ISIL are the vast majority of Muslims who reject its apocalyptic ideology of hatred. This executive order sends a signal, intended or not, that America does not want Muslims coming into our country. That is why we fear this executive order may do more to help terrorist recruitment than improve our security.”

Apparently Trump said in December that this will be the last year for the DV Lottery. As for H1b visas, they are proposing to raise the minimum wage to $100,000, and give more visas to top international US students.

When in Dec did he say this? Where can I maybe see a video/news statement etc.... about this? If possible please post a link to it.

Hi Bushbaby, I don't think there was any video clip from December as that was when the Republicans were still forming their party. I did not post the comment on H1B's.

Trump did say last week that there will be a major announcement on immigration in the next four weeks.

His power with executive orders is limited, any new legislation must go through congress, where they are a couple of votes short and they will need the democrats support.

There is also the State of the Union address coming up at the end of February where trump will outline his plans and ideas for the year ahead,

• Like 1

Trump told BBC1’s Raymond Arthur, “No more visa lottery"

: https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2016/12/202990/donald-trump-plans-end-dv-lottery-program/

He also told everyone that Mexico will pay for the wall.

Let's see what actually gets done. I have little doubt that the lottery will go at some stage, but Mr Trump is discovering that implementing his campaign promises is a little more difficult than he expected.

He also told everyone that Mexico will pay for the wall.

Let's see what actually gets done. I have little doubt that the lottery will go at some stage, but Mr Trump is discovering that implementing his campaign promises is a little more difficult than he expected.

I hear you...

Republicans always wanted to get rid of the DV lottery, and now that the House, Senate, and the President are all Republicans, I think it will happen though. I always wished that they would have exchanged the DV lottery for the point system like Canada and Australia.

I hear you...

Republicans always wanted to get rid of the DV lottery, and now that the House, Senate, and the President are all Republicans, I think it will happen though. I always wished that they would have exchanged the DV lottery for the point system like Canada and Australia.

Agree, its a better system. Although I won the lottery...I could have been in the US much earlier if they had had a points system!!!