Sign in to follow this  
marcjvr

Trump Moves To Act On Border Wall, Crack Down On Immigration

I don't actually have a problem with this. I think the H1B system as currently implemented is massively abused. I had heard talk of $100k as the floor so this is higher ...but it doesn't seem out of line with the kind of skills that I understand to be envisaged in the original idea of H1. And I agree with making it easier for graduates from US colleges to get a green card.

Edited by SJ27

I don't actually have a problem with this. I think the H1B system as currently implemented is massively abused. I had heard talk of $100k as the floor so this is higher ...but it doesn't seem out of line with the kind of skills that I understand to be envisaged in the original idea of H1. And I agree with making it easier for graduates from US colleges to get a green card.

I completely agree. At least this is a step in the right direction.

I read an article on yahoo via an article on Vox this morning.(sorry I don't have the link) Apparently there are also changes coming soon affecting people being a public charge. Even if you are a legal immigrant and make use of Social Services (Receiving an income from the government) those individuals will face deportation. There will also be new laws to anyone who sponsors an immigrant that the government will fully enforce getting reimbursed from the sponsor.

I guess this is all in line with increasing the income on H1B visa requirements.

The Washington Post link may help those wishing to read more about these proposed changes (although this still isn't officially announced - yet) - especially about becoming a public charge:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-administration-circulates-more-draft-immigration-restrictions-focusing-on-protecting-us-jobs/2017/01/31/38529236-e741-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?utm_term=.a85af5b69415

A while back there were some posts on this forum about asking a friend/relation for the affidavit to support a DV visa - and some saying it was no big deal. Well, guess what, it COULD be a big deal if this comes to fruition, and you are on the hook for 1000's of $$$ or more in payback to the government.

The Washington Post link may help those wishing to read more about these proposed changes (although this still isn't officially announced - yet) - especially about becoming a public charge:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-administration-circulates-more-draft-immigration-restrictions-focusing-on-protecting-us-jobs/2017/01/31/38529236-e741-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?utm_term=.a85af5b69415

A while back there were some posts on this forum about asking a friend/relation for the affidavit to support a DV visa - and some saying it was no big deal. Well, guess what, it COULD be a big deal if this comes to fruition, and you are on the hook for 1000's of $$$ or more in payback to the government.

The i130 has apparently not been legally enforceable while the i864 is, if I understand - so I guess they could just make all people have the latter for DV too. And then they have to actually go after the people... which I don't think they really have had manpower for. I have zero sympathy for people who become public charges though (unless through accident etc) so ...I can't argue with the principle.

Less than a week after the Executive orders, the authorities have already had to change what was clearly an ill-researched provision - easing restrictions for legal PR (Green Card Holders) after multiple legal challenges.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/02/politics/donald-trump-immigration-ban/index.html

Less than a week after the Executive orders, the authorities have already had to change what was clearly an ill-researched provision - easing restrictions for legal PR (Green Card Holders) after multiple legal challenges.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/02/politics/donald-trump-immigration-ban/index.html

There's also been a legal ruling that CBP has to allow immigrant visa holders in. so they can't stop you getting a green card if you've already been approved for an IV, either.

Well, between all the stuff that's been going on (not just this but the Bannon issues, holocaust denial type stuff, overturning anti corruption regs, yada yada never mind the juvenile tweets) some of my Trump- voting or -sympathizing friends have gone very quiet. Then there's this:

Days it took for presidential disapproval rating to rise above 50%

Reagan: 727

Bush Snr: 1336

Clinton: 573

Bush: 1205

Obama: 936

Trump: 8

(Gallup)

The Gallup presidential poll page is at http://www.gallup.com/poll/201617/gallup-daily-trump-job-approval.aspx

There are links to past presidents as well, which is where the above presumably came from.

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 PM

Well, between all the stuff that's been going on (not just this but the Bannon issues, holocaust denial type stuff, overturning anti corruption regs, yada yada never mind the juvenile tweets) some of my Trump- voting or -sympathizing friends have gone very quiet.

Likewise.

Sadly though it is going to take a very long time for saner heads to undo the mess this man will continue to create while in office.

Hopefully the Trump supporters will have learned their lesson by all the crap he does and not do this again although......

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

Likewise.

Sadly though it is going to take a very long time for saner heads to undo the mess this man will continue to create while in office.

Hopefully the Trump supporters will have learned their lesson by all the crap he does and not do this again although......

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

And now Conway is just flat out making things up. I wouldn't believe this stuff if it was a TV script!

If the democrats have any sense left in them they'll be able to use this in the midterms. The need for checks and balances is blindingly clear given the autocratic way this administration and senate are approaching things.

And yes, it is far easier to tear down institutions than rebuild them, SA is an example... the negative effects of this will be felt well beyond the next 4 years...though the courts are already helping limit the damage, thank heavens. On the positive side, it's been amazing to see so many disparate groups come together to against bigotry and hatred. That does make me positive about the US.

We are now living in real uncertain times. Her is an example of how crazy we have gone.

My work colleague who was born in Iran and has been living in the USA for 28 years and even served in the US Navy for five years. Went to Iceland with his girlfriend for a week. He has a USA passport. On departure at Reykjavik Airport he was in the boarding lounge and then pulled aside, for additional screening as he was born in Iran. He was taken to a room for 25 Minutes. They had one question for him, that was if he had been to Iran ? Obviously no as this was his first trip outside the USA.

The border officials then had to call US homeland officials to get him cleared to board the flight.

My friend is now furious and is even considering immigrating to Europe.

The Republicans sure know how to drive people crazy.

My friend is now furious and is even considering immigrating to Europe.

The Republicans sure know how to drive people crazy.

We should be concerned it is not more than "driving people crazy".

Treat a citizen like that and it starts to sound like how the Jews were treated in Germany (Yes I know - don't fear monger!!) and no, I am not calling Trump a Hitler but look at the similarities in the way citizens are being treated.

What if your friend is one of those who are on the "lunatic fringe" and we simply don't know it? This type of treatment could tip him over the edge and he could be the next Boston bomber.

Now I truly hope that this is simply idle speculation and, until November 8th 2016, I would never have thought that people could do really counter intuitive and self destructive things, but we know how that turned out.

"Uncertain times" it is.

We should be concerned it is not more than "driving people crazy".

Treat a citizen like that and it starts to sound like how the Jews were treated in Germany (Yes I know - don't fear monger!!) and no, I am not calling Trump a Hitler but look at the similarities in the way citizens are being treated.

What if your friend is one of those who are on the "lunatic fringe" and we simply don't know it? This type of treatment could tip him over the edge and he could be the next Boston bomber.

Now I truly hope that this is simply idle speculation and, until November 8th 2016, I would never have thought that people could do really counter intuitive and self destructive things, but we know how that turned out.

"Uncertain times" it is.

You needn't worry as much about him being tipped over the edge, as you need to worry about the actions of the people who are tipped into violence by Trump/alt right etc. Like those who firebomb mosques in Texas, presumably while maintaining to be Christian and protecting some distorted form of the "Christian way". (Just like the KKK does.) We all know the statistics about where terror in the US comes from, and it is much, much more likely to come from white right wing types than Muslims. Never mind just guns....now you don't even have to be fully mentally competent to get a gun. Yay republicans. Edited by SJ27