Sign in to follow this  
Wanydp

Unabridged Birth Certificates - Gc

Hi there

I am currently on an L1 visa, based in the USA, wanting to apply for my GC through my employer.

One of the documents apparently required is an unabridged birth certificate for each applicant. We have them for our kids, but not for my husband and I as we have never needed them before (not even for our L1 visa).

Any advice on firstly if there is a way to get around this requirement, or alternatively obtain the UBC in a reasonable timeframe?

thanks!

No, you can't get around the requirement for an unabridged birth certificates.

(legally the only way you can, is to supply a letter from the South African Government, testifying that such a record does not exist (which they won't give you if the records do exist, or at least 2 affidavits signed by others, who have knowledge of the fact that no such record exists, or proof of secondary sources of the information etc). All of these are harder to obtain than the actual unabridged certificate, and the US government also knows that for the most part these records DO exist for South Africans (they may not, for war torn countries etc, be available).

There are some private companies/individuals - some of whom have been recommended on this forum in the past - who can do the necessary at Home Affairs for you - and claim to be faster - i.e. several weeks to month or two - than doing it yourself. I have never used one.

On a side note - advice to ANYONE really - just get the certificates - they don't expire, and you never know when you will need them etc.

Good luck!

[at]Wanydp. We just went through this painful exercise. Applied in September and finally paid someone who deals with home affairs regularly. Once she was involved it took one week. Let me know if i can send her details. Not sure what I may share on this forum, sorry, very new.

On 2/3/2017 at 10:32 PM, Wanydp said:

Hi there

I am currently on an L1 visa, based in the USA, wanting to apply for my GC through my employer.

One of the documents apparently required is an unabridged birth certificate for each applicant. We have them for our kids, but not for my husband and I as we have never needed them before (not even for our L1 visa).

Any advice on firstly if there is a way to get around this requirement, or alternatively obtain the UBC in a reasonable timeframe?

thanks!

Hi!  I contacted this agent info[at]passportassist.co.za and they got our unabridge marriage and birth certificates for us in two weeks.  You pay them and they push it through for you.  Even if you did apply your self. 

Hope it helps

As an aside I hate these companies. The reason they get them fast is they have “contacts” on the inside. The contacts are not being kind in getting it faster...they are getting something in return. Just perpetuates the corruption problem and makes it harder for the rest of us.

Edited by SJ272

We were in SA in Dec 2017 and needed a new unabridged birth certificate for our daughter. I contacted an agency and they quoted me R2,000...

My wife went to Home Affairs herself about 30 mins before closing time, and was out of there in less than 15 mins with unabridged birth certificate in hand. They printed it on site. Think it cost R75.

Edited by marcjvr
  • Thanks 1

One of ours took a while, but I took it upon myself to contact the offices of both the minister and the regional manager of home  affairs, and it was ready the next morning...

On 20 February 2017 at 4:46 PM, moving2018 said:

[at]Wanydp. We just went through this painful exercise. Applied in September and finally paid someone who deals with home affairs regularly. Once she was involved it took one week. Let me know if i can send her details. Not sure what I may share on this forum, sorry, very new.

Will you plz share the contact you used for Home affairs