Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oscar

New Electronics Ban

23 posts in this topic

They always tell you not to check valuables, now they want everyone to check laptops? Wait till stuff starts getting stolen.  This will be a minefield.

Renting a tablet doesn't help me when I use mine for saved movies or my kindle app! Also seems a snotty way to make money out of something travelers would be forced to do.

Edited by SJ272
1 person likes this

My favourite (read sarcasm) is when I have my valuables in my carry on and at the gate they tell me to check it, even though it is not too big. It has happened more than once between the US and Canada. 

Edited by Nettie

3 hours ago, Nettie said:

My favourite (read sarcasm) is when I have my valuables in my carry on and at the gate they tell me to check it, even though it is not too big. It has happened more than once between the US and Canada. 

Why would they tell you to do that if it is not outsize?

Depending where I'm traveling i always have either a handbag or backpack that both fits under the seat in front and is big enough for electronics etc. apart from the convenience of reaching them easily - I don't even like them in the overhead bin - having seen that those are not always safe either especially on overnight flights when everyone is asleep.

They may ask you to gate check a bag if your boarding zone is at the tail end and they are running out of overhead space - not uncommon.

In the current world of carry on replacing checked luggage due to fees more and more people are carrying carry on so space is at a premium. Add to this the "I don't give a shit" people who have the maximum 2 articles and say a jacket and then put all of that in the overhead despite requests to "place the smaller item under the seat in front of you" and there you have it - those further down the boarding totem pole get to gate check their bags.

As there is no real enforcement of cabin baggage weight on all domestic flights within the USA, people get away with taking far too much with them. Please be aware that on International flights its a different story. SAA actually checks you cabin bag weight at Dulles Airport. If its over the 9kg weight, you will have to move things over into your checked bags provided they are not on the maximum weight already.

SAA does allow you to purchase a 3rd bag for $100.00 - This has to be done at the time you purchase your ticket. This is quite useful if you have lots of gifts.    

40 minutes ago, oscar said:

As there is no real enforcement of cabin baggage weight on all domestic flights within the USA, people get away with taking far too much with them. Please be aware that on International flights its a different story. SAA actually checks you cabin bag weight at Dulles Airport. If its over the 9kg weight, you will have to move things over into your checked bags provided they are not on the maximum weight already.

SAA does allow you to purchase a 3rd bag for $100.00 - This has to be done at the time you purchase your ticket. This is quite useful if you have lots of gifts.    

Don't know about weight, but I have seen, more than once, people being made to check bags that exceed the dimensions for carry on for domestic US flights. Maybe enforcement depends on which airline it is, and how busy the flight is, though I must say almost every domestic flight I've taken in the past year or so has been pretty much full.

Latest news on the laptop ban. There will be new enhanced security at foreign airports (not all details have been released). If all  the foreign countries comply with the new checks and requirements, the laptop ban will not be rolled out. The current laptop ban on some middle eastern countries could also be lifted, if they comply with all the new security requirements.  

in the news this morning, the airline industry is taking a vote next week to decide weather to ban laptop computers and some other electronics packed in the checked luggage.

The concern is when lithium batteries in laptops packed in suitcases comes into contact with leaking hairspray containers or other aerosol containers in packed luggage, have caused fires in the hold.  

Edited by oscar