Sign in to follow this  
Althia

Florida 2018

Good day

We are planning on moving to Florida round about May 2018.  We are doing a LSD tour in Dec to determine where in Florida we would like to settle or may be Charleston in South Carolina, I would love to get in contact with South African's in any of these areas witch may give us some advice on area's, school district etc. 

Thanks 

Never having school aged kids when we moved I cannot advise on school districts.

We lived in Orlando for 9 years and enjoyed almost everything about it ...... except the heat / humidity (And hurricanes in 2004!!) so, if you are up for Pietermaritzburg / Durban heat and humidity - Florida is for you.

We did not live in Charleston but near Charlotte, NC for about 6 years and visited Charleston a few times - really nice place.

Edited by Shaun
spelling

Do a search on Facebook for South African groups in these areas as well, you may get some good feedback/advice there.

(you'll probably do better joining the closed groups - the open ones are often just people advertising stuff.)

Edited by SJ272

I lived in Pinellas County for 9 years and loved it. Pasco County (New Port Richey area) has quite a few South Africans. Bradenton and Sarasota are lovely areas, however, a bit more expensive than Pasco County. I would include that part of FL in my trip if I were you (from Naples up to New Port Richey). Fort Lauderdale is the most gorgeous place to me. Also a bit more expensive, but depending on your profession, may not be a problem. St. Augustine is also known to be pretty and a good place to live.

On the Gulf Coast we don't seem to have such a big issue with hurricanes. We mostly get the outside winds which makes the air fresh and clear. We did miss Hurricane Charlie (I think that is what is being referred above), but that was the first and only one in 100 years.

The Carolinas are known for their hospitality. :)

Good luck with everything!

Check out the link: http://www.braainews.com/

Edited by Nettie

Thank you all!! We decided on Ponte Vedra Beach, in the St John's county.  Now we are just waiting for our final interview and then we are on our way.  

Can any of you advice us on a shipping company, I did get a quote from Execu Move  they are impressive but so are there price.

Some of the other companies did not even come back to be, so now I'm wondering   

12 hours ago, Althia said:

Thank you all!! We decided on Ponte Vedra Beach, in the St John's county.  Now we are just waiting for our final interview and then we are on our way.  

Can any of you advice us on a shipping company, I did get a quote from Execu Move  they are impressive but so are there price.

Some of the other companies did not even come back to be, so now I'm wondering   

It’s a few years now but we used Biddulphs, I think at the time it was around the equivalent of $10k or so for a 20 foot container They packed up in SA and unpacked in the US (and even allowed for “one change of placement per furniture item” ?) and were very professional from start to finish. Everything was packed really well and as far as I recall nothing broke. And we could track our container online!