marcjvr

Bill proposed that would impact the DV lottery

24 posts in this topic

"In addition, the senators propose to cap annual refugee admissions at 50,000 and to end a visa diversity lottery that has awarded 50,000 green cards a year, mostly to applicants from African nations."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/08/02/trump-gop-senators-to-introduce-bill-to-slash-legal-immigration-levels/?utm_term=.6d3f22fb5902

Edited by marcjvr

We are inline for a family visa - we are basically also f#ck$d now.

Not necessarily.  Experts here say that this has a slim chance of passing - as is - to much in-fighting right now.  I am sure something may happen in years to come, but important to note that the last time a bill was tabled (defeated) in the Obama era - basically they were going to just cut off the back of the queue, and everyone already in the queue - i.e approved, but waiting, would in fact be accelerated.

I know someone who stopped entering the DV lottery about 5 years ago because of bills tabled etc, which never passed - thinking it was fruitless.  Well, guess what - thousands of South Africans have been drawn since then, and hundreds have entered the USA.

Even according to Fox (Trump friendly): "Trump's appearance was aimed at bringing attention to the bill, which has been largely ignored in the Senate, with no other lawmaker signing on as a co-sponsor. GOP leaders have showed no inclination to vote on immigration this year."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/02/trump-gop-senators-champion-bill-to-cut-legal-immigration-levels.html

On 03/08/2017 at 8:29 AM, bushbabyPTA said:

We are inline for a family visa - we are basically also f#ck$d now.

That's how I felt, until I saw it is a bill and not law yet. No good feedback in the news regarding it's potential success. What ticked me off is the "points system" is almost enforced anyway for the current employment based visas. So, while they were trying to emphasise the technical skills/qualifications and English requirements for workers, they were actually just putting a knife through the heart of families.

#stayinghopeful

Edited by Nettie

I actually think, other than the bill blithely ignoring the rich Chinese buying visas via Kushner companies in EB5, some form of points system makes much more sense. I am talking here from an economic perspective.

Employment visas are NOT automatic paths to green cards and the system is highly abused, we've seen that here on this forum with people trying to game L visas and the widespread abuse of H1. Most of the million or so immigrant visas each year are family visas, many of which are siblings or adult kids, and the stats show these are less educated on average than both other immigrant visas and than the general US population. From an economic perspective countries need skilled populations and they need relatively youthful populations (who work and pay taxes). A friend just sponsored her retired mother, which is nice for her but objectively the mother contributes almost nothing to the US economy. Australia's immigration policy has been a key factor helping it grow, while Japan's anti immigrant one is a key reason the country has stagnated as its population ages. I fully support the idea of a points system that has a clear path for skilled, relatively young applicants over the eventual entire extended family of one couple who came in from wherever 30 years ago.

Edited by SJ272
1 person likes this

Yeah, immigration reform comes up about every year to 18 months and goes absolutely nowhere every single time. The system is certainly far from perfect, quite ridiculous in fact, but much like the ridiculous healthcare system and the even more ridiculous tax system, nothing major really ever gets done about them, becuase they are such hot button issues and the nation is far too divided on all of them. Heck even the political parties themselves are divided internally on these issues, so getting any major bills through with even the slightest majority in both the House and the Senate requires a phenomenal effort and leadership (hahahahahahaha!), not withstanding the last hurdle being the President himself who can veto the bill unless it gets a +60% majority veto-proof in the Senate.

Throw into that the near constant primary/election cycle and it's little wonder that these issues are never fully addressed and simply get kicked down the road. They are a conundrum wrapped in a riddle, because they are key election issues, but historically speaking the party that actually delivers on any promises in these three critical categories are almost always punished heavily the next election cycle. The trick in many cases (as the politicians have learnt) is to keep "talking" about them to get and stay elected, but to never fully deliver, becuase in most cases it is political suicide.

So in a nutshell, keep entering that lottery and sponsoring your family if/when you are able. I'm pretty sure we'll still be talking about the same thing come this time next year and the years following that.

2 people like this

Heh, excellent summary Jason!

1 person likes this

As a Canadian living in Canada, I can attest to the fact that the points system works very well. It is a vibrant country with one of the most educated populations in the world. Children of immigrants are also doing amazingly well. These families eventually bring their extended families over and they are welcomed. In Canada the "chain immigration" of families works in spite of all the government benefits that these immigrants qualify for.

Edited by Nettie

I was having a chat today to my cousin who's Canadian and he says there is no "chain immigration" there in the same way as the US, he says for siblings you can only sponsor one (if over 18) and even then it's only if you don't have a closer relative to sponsor. So not like the US where you can sponsor all of your parents, your children and all your siblings and everyone's spouses etc too. And apparently Canadian requirements on financial prerequisites are pretty tough, though I don't know precisely what "government benefits" the post above refers to. Healthcare is an obvious benefit. Interestingly my cousin (a doctor) says part of the reason Canada works so hard to attract doctors is that they lose their own medical workers as the government controlling the healthcare system can have quite a negative effect on medical workers - and we do actually know some here who moved down to the US because they get paid significantly more here, with apparently a similar cost of living in Vancouver and the Bay Area they are much better off here. When my cousin first moved to Canada he was put into a rural hospital that oniy had 6 doctors.... and 4 of them were South African! 

And of course Canada's treatment of and welcome for refugees is totally different too.

Manhatten ISIS truck driver came into the States with a DV Visa. Expect some momentum on the scrapping of the Lottery. 

Yup, headline news all of today! Gonna be a rough ride for DV entrants until Donnie Boy gets bored and distracted by the next piece of red meat...

It's about time. The DV Visa was put there initially as a loophole to get Irish citizens into the Country. It really is beyond stupid IMO. 

5 hours ago, Adder said:

It's about time. The DV Visa was put there initially as a loophole to get Irish citizens into the Country. It really is beyond stupid IMO. 

Much of the US immigration system is, highlighted by the fact that the data show DV winners are much more likely to be educated, speak English and working at good jobs than other immigrants, of whom the vast majority are chain family immigrants. I can understand immediate family but the US system is massively generous...siblings, adult children and their entire families, etc.... Beyond time that a more intelligent, Canada/Australia/old UK HSMP type program got implemented. Of course there is a lot of bipartisan support for such too, just the way US politics works it never seems to get beyond the senate.

Edited by SJ272
1 person likes this