Sign in to follow this  
moving2018

RECEIVING GREEN CARDS IN MAIL

Hi all.  Just want to confirm if anyone know please.  How long before we would receive GC in mail.  In Pennsylvania they issue a one year drivers on your passport/visa but four years with the GC, so we are just looking to see if it is worth waiting for them.  TIA

Don't know whether this helps but your stamped Diversity visa is a green card (I-551), albeit a temporary one, valid for 1 year - it says so on the visa. It is proof of your LPR status so IMHO that should satisfy their requirement.

Edited by Superkruz

I believe it currently takes around 4 weeks after entry, assuming you've already paid the uscis immigrant fee.

1 hour ago, Superkruz said:

Don't know whether this helps but your stamped Diversity visa is a green card (I-551), albeit a temporary one, valid for 1 year - it says so on the visa. It is proof of your LPR status so IMHO that should satisfy their requirement.

I believe all DMVs tie DLs to the length of the validity of the document, hence if the stamped visa is a valid I551 for a year, the license will expire in a year - I guess that's why the original post says the current passport/visa will give them a DL valid for one year.  But a 10-year GC will allow them to get the max validity of a Pennsylvania DL, which appears to be 4 years.

(i know someone who had a 2-year conditional GC (marriage) and DL was therefore valid for 2 years only at first.)

Edited by SJ272

Hi TIA,

I just went through this during July in LA.

The DMV accepted my temporary visa as a means of USCIS identification to issue a "normal" DL . My expiration date is only in 2023.

It was a struggle for the person to find the correct option on the USCIS system to identify me based on my stamped visa which serves as the I-551 for one year, because she has never done it before.

She was very friendly and showed me that it was the last option on a list of something like 8 options for identification on the USCIS system. The second delay was that she did not enter a "0" as the first number of my USCIS 9 digit number. She only entered 8 digits. When she entered it in this format 0xx-xxx-xxxx I was identified successfully and could get a DL.

I don't know if your sate does the same but from what I could gather, all applicants have to be identified on the USCIS system prior to being issued a license.

I hope you can get it sorted out - keep us posted!

G

Thank you all.  I think it will be worth our while to just wait it out.  I am sure we will receive it as soon as they can as everything (as you well know) works as it should and there should be no unnecessary delays from their side.  Other than that we are all settling well.  My child is super happy at school and it seems he is coping pretty well with this big change.  Again, so very thankful for this opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moving2018 said:

Thank you all.  I think it will be worth our while to just wait it out.  I am sure we will receive it as soon as they can as everything (as you well know) works as it should and there should be no unnecessary delays from their side.  Other than that we are all settling well.  My child is super happy at school and it seems he is coping pretty well with this big change.  Again, so very thankful for this opportunity.

Great to hear it's all going well!

• Like 2

Great to hear that [at]moving2018,i was also wondering what happens with the schooling, eg my kids next year will be grade 2 and 4 and we are thinking if all goes well we will arrive that side around july/august, do kids carry on with that grade or what?just curious 

1 hour ago, dreamland said:

Great to hear that [at]moving2018,i was also wondering what happens with the schooling, eg my kids next year will be grade 2 and 4 and we are thinking if all goes well we will arrive that side around july/august, do kids carry on with that grade or what?just curious 

At that stage it will usually depend on the age of the kid which grade they get placed into. You'll be arriving for a new school year so they will begin whatever grade in August - it may be either half a year "ahead" or half a year "back".

Edited by SJ272
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 2:29 PM, dreamland said:

Thanks sj272 I understand

[at] dreamland - Best of luck.  My child has his birthday in December.  I believe your child will need to have his/her birthday by September to see which grade they will slot into.  Mine is doing Grade 5 again though.  I am actually happy about that, it gives him some familiarity with things they did back home and eases him in to US schooling in his second language.  Best of luck.