Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Suzy

Bank Accounts

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well with everyone.

I am in NYC after activating the green card. I would like to open a bank account now etc. 

I know this topic has been addressed ad nauseum elsewhere on the blog but I’m a bit pressed for time and will appreciate anyone’s assistance.

I popped in to Capital One bank and was advised I need proof of residence before opening an account.

I am sure I read somewhere that there are some banks who will open without proof of residence. Does anyone know which bank it was? I would like to start building a credit score before I make the permanent move next year.

Thanks in advance !!

Suzy

Bank of America usually will open with just a passport. You'll need an actual credit account to get a credit score, not just any bank account, so you'll need to apply for a secured credit card - you won't get an unsecured one with no history and no US address.

i can confirm that Chase will require proof of residence so don't waste time with them :) 

1 person likes this

Thank you SJ272.

Yes absolutely, would like to get both check account and credit card while I’m here.

I am going to pop into Bank of America and hopefully have success of some sorts ?

I will give Chase a skip ?

On 9/26/2017 at 3:23 PM, Suzy said:

Thank you SJ272.

Yes absolutely, would like to get both check account and credit card while I’m here.

I am going to pop into Bank of America and hopefully have success of some sorts ?

I will give Chase a skip ?

Hi Suzy

Not sure how long you will be on your LSD trip.  We have just gone through/busy will everything.  We went to Social Security a day after we arrived and they said we are too quick.  We went back a week later and they said from the day we went in it should take around 10 - 15 days.  We received SS within 8 days.  This is what we used to open Bank of America.  Our GC arrived yesterday.  3 weeks exactly it took. (They say between 4-6 weeks)  The address on the SS once delivered should suffice.  Best of luck.

1 person likes this

Thank you moving2018!

That is very helpful and appreciated :)  I'm surprised at how quick the GC took to arrive. I thought it takes about 3 - 4 months to arrive!

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Suzy said:

Thank you moving2018!

That is very helpful and appreciated :)  I'm surprised at how quick the GC took to arrive. I thought it takes about 3 - 4 months to arrive!

It changes at various times. When we moved over, the average was 1-2 months. Then at some point they changed a system or something and everything got delayed and that's when it was taking 3 months or so. The last year or so I've seen a lot of reports that it's arriving within a month.

2 people like this