Sign in to follow this  
SJ272

NEW ENTRY REQUIRED FOR DV2019

Due to technical issues, the registration period for DV-2019 is being restarted, and all entries made prior to October 18, 2017, will need to be resubmitted for the entrant to be considered. We regret the inconvenience to Diversity Visa entrants. In order to ensure fairness and protect the integrity of the process for all those concerned, however, we must restart the entry process for this year (DV-2019).

The new registration period for DV-2019 opens for electronic entries at 11:00am, Wednesday, October 18, 2017, and closes at 11:00am, Wednesday, November 22, 2017. 

If you entered before Wednesday, October 18, 2017, that entry will not be considered, and you will need to submit another entry during the new registration period. You may submit one new entry without being disqualified for submitting multiple entries. Individuals who submit more than one entry during the new registration period will be disqualified.

Applicants can access the electronic DV entry form (E-DV) at the official E-DV website, dvlottery.state.gov, during the registration period. DV instructions also are available on the Department of State’s public webpage at usvisas.state.gov/dv/instructions.

All other eligibility requirements remain the same.

Beginning May 15, 2018, DV-2019 entrants will be able to use their unique confirmation number provided at registration to check the online Entrant Status Check at dvlottery.state.gov to see if their entry was selected. Entrant Status Check will inform successful entrants how to apply for DVs for themselves and their eligible family members. The Department also will confirm visa interview appointments through the Entrant Status Check.

https://ec.usembassy.gov/new-entry-period-diversity-visa-program-dv-2019/

Sadly (if you read the full link they explain the problem) just seems to be yet another IT glitch. Becoming more rare to have a year without one now... hopefully nothing as disastrous as Dv2012 happens again.

Edited by SJ272

1 hour ago, SJ272 said:

... hopefully nothing as disastrous as Dv2012 happens again.

Don’t be too hard on that DV 2012 glitch, I have my Visa and Naturalization early next year thanks to that “disaster”... :P

1 hour ago, JumpingJasonFlash said:

Don’t be too hard on that DV 2012 glitch, I have my Visa and Naturalization early next year thanks to that “disaster”... :P

Disastrous for the people who were mistakenly selected, not the real selectees like you! ;)

3 hours ago, SJ272 said:

Disastrous for the people who were mistakenly selected, not the real selectees like you! ;)

Well, yeah. When you put it like that... ;)

Seriously though, that was one hell of a screw up back in DV 2012. Those selectees must still be stewing and I can hardly blame them.

Thanks for the update! Hopefully it will spare some selectees from disaster for DV-2019

Hello House

So happy to finally be on this very informative forum. I will be entering for the first time this year and as much as its a lottery with the chances of not being selected,I'm still very excited. 

But before I go crazy on all of you I just want to ask some questions which I think will make you all laugh though I'm finding very hard to understand. 

1. Does entering immediately the site opens better one's chances to get selected?

2. I've read quite often people talking about low/high numbers which influence interviews. Which numbers are those?

3. Can I submit photos taken with a phone as long as they meet the requirements? If not, where can i find a reputable service provider around eastgate, balfour park or greenstone shopping centre in Johannesburg?

I think that's all for now. Thank you. 

:P

51 minutes ago, DeeVee87 said:

Hello House

So happy to finally be on this very informative forum. I will be entering for the first time this year and as much as its a lottery with the chances of not being selected,I'm still very excited. 

But before I go crazy on all of you I just want to ask some questions which I think will make you all laugh though I'm finding very hard to understand. 

1. Does entering immediately the site opens better one's chances to get selected?

2. I've read quite often people talking about low/high numbers which influence interviews. Which numbers are those?

3. Can I submit photos taken with a phone as long as they meet the requirements? If not, where can i find a reputable service provider around eastgate, balfour park or greenstone shopping centre in Johannesburg?

I think that's all for now. Thank you. 

:P

1. No, it’s a computerized random draw. 

2. If you get selected, then you get assigned a case number which determines your interview date. 

3. Yes (I won on iPhone photos). You can use a professional if you want of course, just make sure you find one who does US photos regularly as they differ to most other passport/visa photos.

1 hour ago, SJ272 said:

1. No, it’s a computerized random draw. 

2. If you get selected, then you get assigned a case number which determines your interview date. 

3. Yes (I won on iPhone photos). You can use a professional if you want of course, just make sure you find one who does US photos regularly as they differ to most other passport/visa photos.

Thank you SJ262 for the info.

I've been reading a lot of the posts on here just to get a feel of this journey. But should I have any more clarity seeking questions I hope the house will be able to assist.

Hi DeeVee

Also check out www.britsimonsays.com. Lots of FAQ's on the dv process etc.

Just make sure there are no shadows in the background of your photo.

Best of Luck,

• Like 1

Thank you Mitso.

Getting so psyched just reading people's success stories. All the best for those who will enter this year.

I would also like to ask that since me and my husband are only going to sign at home affairs on 9 November,is it possible :

1. that I apply with the kids and then add him on at a later stage after the ceremony?

2. Or would you advise to put my application on hold until we are officially married,on the 9th November ,then enter as husband,wife and kids?

54 minutes ago, DeeVee87 said:

Thank you Mitso.

Getting so psyched just reading people's success stories. All the best for those who will enter this year.

Wishing you all the luck in the world.

It is a lottery, but a weighted lottery based on region and country of origin. So the odds are really not that bad at all for us South Africans. On average about roughly 20,000 Saffers enter each year (sometimes more, sometimes less) and anywhere between 700 and 1200 are selected. Those are some pretty darn good odds for any lottery system.

The trick is to keep at it and just live your life. Don’t let an unsuccessful entry stop you entering again the following year. Keep your paperwork up to date and keep on keeping on. If/when it happens the wait and effort will be worth it.

We just made it part of our annual routine, like doing our taxes, hanging our Christmas decorations, paying our TV license, renewaing out vehicle license, fertilizing the lawn, entering the DV lottery... a few years went by and BOOM! Our entry won!

Also remember if you’re married, you can both enter separately to improve your chances.

Good luck and vasbyt!

Edited by JumpingJasonFlash
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, DeeVee87 said:

I would also like to ask that since me and my husband are only going to sign at home affairs on 9 November,is it possible :

1. that I apply with the kids and then add him on at a later stage after the ceremony?

2. Or would you advise to put my application on hold until we are officially married,on the 9th November ,then enter as husband,wife and kids?

Either is technically fine, with #1 you can’t add him to the entry as such later but only after the fact to your case if you win; , #2 will be less hassle if you do get selected so it probably makes sense to wait and do it then. Still more than a week till entries close after that.

Got an email last night  - all must enter again for DV2019   FROM: DONOTREPLY[at]dvlottery.state.gov

"Dear Diversity Visa Program entrant:

Please check www.dvlottery.state.gov for an important announcement regarding your Diversity Visa Program entry.

Remember, only internet sites that end with the ".gov" domain suffix are official U.S. government websites.  Many other websites (e.g., with the suffixes ".com," ".org," or ".net") provide immigration and visa-related information and services.  The Department of State does not endorse, recommend, or sponsor any information or material on these other websites.  The Department of State, KCC, or any other U.S. government entity will never ask you to send money via email or request that you reply with personal information.  The only fee associated with the DV program will be paid at the time of your interview.

U.S. Department of State"

• Like 1