Sign in to follow this  
JumpingJasonFlash

N400 Application and Continuous Residence

JumpingJasonFlash Just an update for you. My husband went for his interview yesterday. He was in the room for 10 minutes, he was never even asked about his absence of 5 months in the beginning still with a SA address. So no need to worry about that. I think they only need an explanation if you are out longer than 6 months.  Now just waiting for the swearing in ceremony.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RubyShoes said:

JumpingJasonFlash Just an update for you. My husband went for his interview yesterday. He was in the room for 10 minutes, he was never even asked about his absence of 5 months in the beginning still with a SA address. So no need to worry about that. I think they only need an explanation if you are out longer than 6 months.  Now just waiting for the swearing in ceremony.

Awesomesauce! And congrats to you guys!

Thanks so much for thinking of me! We're still on track for filing our application mid-March. Going to go through the N400 form next week after I'm done filing my US taxes!

Our application for retention of SA citizenship went in 5 weeks ago and we're still waiting on a response from the Consulate in LA. We've decided to proceed with our N400 application regardless. If DHA get their act together in time for our citizenship, great! If not. So be it! We're not chasing after slapgat SA government institutions anymore. We've done our best and are leaving the ball in their court.

Thanks again for the update!

J.

• Like 1

Just make sure you sent a bank check, and not a personal one to the Consulate (When I did mine, and hadn't heard after a couple of weeks, I contacted them, and that is what the holdup was....they didn't tell me until I emailed them).

Also, I hear N400 applications are taking much longer right now due backlog - 9 months or more from start to finish.....back when I did mine 4 years ago, it took about 4 months all in all.  Congrats -you are almost here, then don't have to deal with any of this again.

Edited by Malamute

So it is just my husband getting sworn in, my daughter is 17 so she will get automatically through descent. My son and I were out the country longer than the 6 months after our initial visit so we will apply in May. My son is 19. By the way Malamute we actually paid with our credit card which was convenient. I have just looked and also seen that you can now apply online for the N400 which is also brand new and easier.

Congratulations to your husband, and to you - shortly too, one hopes.
Good news about the South African Consulate accepting Credit Cards - did you go in person and they swiped it there?  The LA Consulate website still says it must be  postal money order or certified bank check and that cash and personal checks not permitted.  Hope they update it.  I also had to get a bank check for my new South African Passport application  last year - I never thought to check with them regarding credit cards, because of the info on the site.

Hi Malamute - thanks yes we are almost there. Sorry, I didn't read properly, I thought you were talking about paying for the US N400 application, we paid for the N400 with a credit card not the retention of citizenship.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:17 AM, RubyShoes said:

Awesome! When did he send in his N400? 

I’m a little concerned about the delays that have been reported. We are eligible in December (I know we can file 90 days before) and my older kid turns 18 in April, so I’m hoping it all gets finished before that happens...

On 2/28/2018 at 9:51 AM, Malamute said:

Just make sure you sent a bank check, and not a personal one to the Consulate (When I did mine, and hadn't heard after a couple of weeks, I contacted them, and that is what the holdup was....they didn't tell me until I emailed them).

-

I emailed them about something and they never responded... did you just use the email address on the website?

And did you include a prepaid envelope for the certificate to be sent to you?

Yes, I emailed using the email address on the website, and actually had a response back the same day - but that was back in 2013.  I did not send a self addressed envelope - to the best of my memory - and the letter arrived ordinary mail.  with a compliments slip from the Consulate.

My husband sent his N400 in middle of September, which was the 90 days before. So it was just over 5 months until the interview and apparently he will get sworn in at the end of March, we are still waiting for that invitation in the mail. So all in all it will have taken 6 and a half months.

We did send a self addressed and stamped envelope for our retention of citizenship. If I remember correctly it took about 6 weeks to get that back. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Malamute said:

Yes, I emailed using the email address on the website, and actually had a response back the same day - but that was back in 2013.  I did not send a self addressed envelope - to the best of my memory - and the letter arrived ordinary mail.  with a compliments slip from the Consulate.

Lucky you! I emailed them with a query a week after I filed my application and have heard zip from them. They also never answer their phones.

I made very sure to send them a bank check and self addressed return envelope. I’m sure I’ll get them soon enough, I guess i’m just not used to good ol’ SA  service anymore. Nothing like a small dose of Home Affairs to remind you of home ;)